Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Aghori Sadhu

1. Re: Aghori Sadhu

Namaste SS,

Thanks for posting I look forwards to reading this in the future; It looks to be quite facinating.

praNAma

mana

Re: Aghori Sadhu

Namaste,

I was browsing through videos on Youtube and somehow stumbled along a rap song about Aghoris lol. I know it sounds weird, but litening to the lyrics I saw that whoever the rapper is he has an open mind to the Aghoris. Thats pretty interesting for an urban rapper.

http://youtu.be/ehgDC47kZtk

Om Namah Sivaya

Just out of curiosity - An Aghori Sadhu by definition worships AghoraVeeraBhadra, right?

I have read an account of an Aghori Sadhu who had a Western disciple that could change the eye colour to match that of the disciple - Blue...! And the disciple narrates he noticed many other weird things around the Aghori Sadhu as well, -- many weird abilities - being able to produce smells of non-existent substances in the air.

Do Aghori Sadhus have different skills than normal sadhus (Sannyasis of highest calibre) and if yes, what, to an Aghori Sadhu, gives skills different than those sadhakas practicing yoga to achieve nirvana but in the process attain many siddhis?
    Last edited by Viraja; 24 August 2012 at 11:58 AM.

Namaste,

I do not know much in detail about the Aghora. They worship many deities. There are many goddesses that they worship in esoteric worship. They revere Lord Bhairava and his Shakti Bhairavi. Devotion of Kali is also amongst their way.

I am not sure if their skills are different from other 'normal' sadhu. What I know may be some of their distinction is their direct way of Self Realization. It is not for everyone, but much like Kashmir Shaivism and other paths of Shaivite Tantra they are monistic. They see everything as Siva and since everything is Siva everything is perfect. This allows them to engage in taboo under discipline of a Guru. Done alone it may just cause people to commit unwholesome actions so to speak and the retainment of the illusory ego may still be a problem for that imaginary ego. Since their path is direct in terms of revering the non discrimination or basically put just Resting as the Self or Awareness it may reveal Siva to themselves. It is like Zen, Advaita, many direct Tantra teachings and so on. Very direct and to the point of experiencing what is always here.

Self Realization is the ultimate Siddhi, but the Aghori Sadhu may also receive Siddhis through their meditation. One such meditation that is unique to these Sadhu is Shava. They will find a dead corpse, many times from the Ganges and recite mantras over the body and make offering of it. They will sit upon the dead body in meditation posture and recite mantra of Kali. Facing any fear during the process and staying focused on the mantra may bring about a vision of Kali and gift of a boon. These boons could be many Siddhis. Also the Aghori may consume the flesh of the corpse with non discrimination and transfer so to speak deeds or knowledge to help the inhabitant so to speak of that corpse.

I hope others will share some knowledge with us so we can learn more about this path.

Om Namah Sivaya

About eating corpses and other things practiced by Aghori Sadhus... I opine that sattwic practices such as taking Biksha for food, regular sadhana, practice of Ashtanga yoga and adhering to strict discipline such as sleeping on the floor, sleeping just few hours a day, and other niyamas would suffice for one's rapid spiritual evolution. Sri Raghavendra Swami for instance, was able to have darshan of Panchamukha Hanuman in 13 yrs after doing penance and he otherwise practiced regular spiritual sadhana otherwise... It seems a very wealthy man once approached Sri Ramana Maharishi and asked him how to transcend the feeling of individuality or the 'I-ness' and was told by Ramana to take Biksha, not just in asking for food standing in the middle of the street but walking to the doorsteps and asking with humility and taking back everything - the words of anger/hatred and the words of sympathy/care with equal likes-- This Ramana had said,one would give someone mental equanimity and a flattening of one's ego. Sadugru Gnanananda and many other advanced yogis have been able to dissosciate body parts into pieces and then put them back again through ashtanga yoga. When such practices by itself would be extreme exist, one would a person take the Aghori path of eating corpses?
    Last edited by Viraja; 24 August 2012 at 12:05 PM.

Namaste,

I dont know why Aghori discipline chooses certain ascetic practices over others. In reality all of the things the Aghori does and the things you mentioned above are not necessary. All that is necessary is to remove the false notion that we are other than the Self. But since conditioning is strong some teachings are giving to some and other teachings given to others.

Om Arunachala Siva

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    But since conditioning is strong some teachings are giving to some and other teachings given to others.
    Seems to be a satisfactory explanation.

Namaste,

This thread has links to some real gory videos. My concern about its appearance and continued debate were brushed aside. It was in that spirit that I reported about the Bhairo Nath Mandir - a living, breathing, respectable entity right in the heart of India's capital, New Delhi. That thread was closed and the 'obvious reasons' that it was closed for are not too obvious to me. Either the standards have changed or they are not being applied uniformly. In any event, I am okay with whatever is done, but there should be some uniformity.

Pranam.

Namaste.

I often browse the Active User Panel. After you posted that thread in Canteen, I noticed a few Google Adsense Spiders 'reading' (or whatever it is they do) this thread.

I thought I'd reply to it - saying something, but I didn't know what. Then I noticed I'd be necrobumping a year-old thread, so thought better of it.

Now that you have posted here, Believer-ji, I don't feel so bad about it. lol

I was thinking to myself that Satay may have thought what you said in the other thread may be disrespectful to some Shiva worshipers - I don't know why, but that thought crossed my mind briefly.

Maybe that is why the thread was locked.

For a beautiful documentary on Aghoris, one cannot go past this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5WqwgZvLuo

Eating corpses = 'eeeewww gross' to me.

About alcohol - a few times/week I will drink 1-2 small bottles of lite beer, but I will never get intoxicated on it. I drink it to flush my kidneys and as a digestive aid. Also, hops is very good for insomnia and depression. I take it for 'medicinal purposes', but I will never drink anything stronger than this.

Red wine is also full of anti-oxidants and is very good for the heart and blood. I don't like the taste of it, so I don't drink it, but having a glass with the evening meals is what keeps Mediterranean societies so robust and healthy.

Of course, if you are a strict Hindu, one should not be doing this, but I can see nothing wrong with taking alcohol like I do.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 26 August 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Thread Information