Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aghori Sadhu

Aghori Sadhu

Namaste,

I find the Aghori so intriguing. I scurry the internet trying to find any videos I can of these men. Here are some

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/...a_aghoris.html

http://youtu.be/0wNgziDtHXU (From Madventures) (It may be graphic to some)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0bGrvKVxac (Documentary)

http://youtu.be/6J5RVjpaDzk

http://youtu.be/orUh2do3EOs (Very Graphic there is eating of human flesh shown.)

http://youtu.be/bDDPTP1uHDg

Om Namah Shivaya

Re: Aghori Sadhu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

I find the Aghori so intriguing.
    Vannakkam SS: What about them is intriguing?

I honestly don't know how many practising Aghoris there are, but I'm guessing its relatively small, compared to the population of sadhus in general. Is it because of the eating of corpses? Or are there other things?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I find many aspects of their worship and Sadhana to be interesting. I enjoy their philosophy of non-discrimination. They are able to embrace all of duality. They can accept their fear and embrace it in order to transcend. Also I enjoy their way of mastering intoxication. They are able to consume large amounts of alcohol or Ganja and yet be very focused, while many of us in the west would be doing foolish things and be anything, but meditative.

Om Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam SS: From my readings regarding intoxication and areas of the mind, for normal people, intoxicants (in particular, alcohol) open up the subconscious mind, that memory mind that has all those confused impressions in it. But sadhus don't have that mind (at least not as much of it ... from sadhana) so therefore, the intoxicant, when it blocks off the conscious mind, makes the superconscious mind right there.

Not sure if this makes sense .. but

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 10 March 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Namaste,

This is a good explanation. Such Sadhana is for very few. I know personally drinking alcohol would be very difficult as I am not very fond of drinking. I admire those who can tread such a path.

Om Namah Shivaya

I also find the Aghoris very intriguing. I did not know they drank alcohol!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam SS: From my readings regarding intoxication and areas of the mind, for normal people, intoxicants (in particular, alcohol) open up the subconscious mind, that memory mind that has all those confused impressions in it. But sahdus don't have that mind (at least not as much of it ... from sadhana) so therefore, the intoxicant, when it blocks off the conscious mind, makes the superconscious mind right there
    Aum Namasivaya
    When I first began to follow Sanatan Dharma I would occasionally have a couple beers because I do really like beer. I mentioned to an acquaintance how that small amount of intoxication made me want to sit before my image of Shiva Shankar and chant Mahamrityunjaya or Nirvanashtakam. I was told alcohol was like really bad and forbidden.... so is it permissable, or forbidden, or discouraged or what?

National Geographic has a decent video about Aghoris. They follow this one Siddhu around and document everything.
    My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Namaste,

Szalvias you will probably get a lot of people saying Alcohol is not good etc. I personally do not take alcohol anymore, but I do inhale leaf. The two cannot be compared in that sense, but to Aghoris they are able to with stand large amounts of alcohol in their Sadhana. They all have Gurus and teachers to guide them along the way. Obviously if your just doing small amounts, I would think it is alright. Whatever is your personal practice or devotion let it shine forth. Make sure it helps you and is not deterring you from further development.

I hope you find what your looking for.

Om Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by szalvias View Post
    I also find the Aghoris very intriguing. I did not know they drank alcohol!

When I first began to follow Sanatan Dharma I would occasionally have a couple beers because I do really like beer. I mentioned to an acquaintance how that small amount of intoxication made me want to sit before my image of Shiva Shankar and chant Mahamrityunjaya or Nirvanashtakam. I was told alcohol was like really bad and forbidden.... so is it permissable, or forbidden, or discouraged or what?

National Geographic has a decent video about Aghoris. They follow this one Siddhu around and document everything.
    Vannakkam: This idea of 'forbidden' is western. There is no 'forbidden' in Hinduism. Things that aren't considered conducive to spirituality, yes. Alcohol is one of them. But many Hindus will have the occasional beer without even thinking in good/bad terms about it. There are some sects (like ISKCON, for example) where it is forbidden. In my observations, the closer the sect is to Islam or Christianity, the more likely you are to find such terms. In my sect and sampradaya it isn't forbidden nor recommended. The only guide is common sense. For me personally, I just don't like it, and my body reacts with headaches, so I rarely imbibe. Maybe a light beer twice a year. Certainly there is no criticising of others who choose to, unless they get drunk and make asses of themselves, or its full blown alcoholism, and they need help.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks for the explanations. Also, it seems you already linked the national geographic video. At first I only watched the YouTube one ( alas, the limitations of my phone don't let me watch any other flash content)
    My religion is based on truth and non-violence. Truth is my God. Non-violence is the means of realising Him.
    -Mahatma Gandhi

Namaste,

I found a great e-book on Aghora. Its called Aghora A True Treatise.

http://wiw.org/~ashish/spiritual/pdf...book_draft.pdf

It has many different Sadhanas explained.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information