Thread: Symbolism in Colors +

Question Symbolism in Colors +

1. In my temple, Parvati is represented by a black idol and so is Balaji; while Saraswati is represented in a white idol. Please explain the symbolism associated with the black and white colors.

2. At the beginning of the aarti, the devotees make 3 rotations. What is the significance of this? Also, which aarti is being recited?

3. Balaji idol is enclosed in a room and I have noticed devotees going round this room. What is the significance of this?

Re: Symbolism in Colors +

Quote Originally Posted by bakkam View Post
    1. In my temple, Parvati is represented by a black idol and so is Balaji; while Saraswati is represented in a white idol. Please explain the symbolism associated with the black and white colors.

2. At the beginning of the aarti, the devotees make 3 rotations. What is the significance of this? Also, which aarti is being recited?

3. Balaji idol is enclosed in a room and I have noticed devotees going round this room. What is the significance of this?
    VannaKkam bakkam: I think the black white is just granite versus marble, but I could be wrong. In South India, granite (black) is more common, and in the north, marble is more common.

Turning around is one spot is considered the same as pradakshina, or walking around the moolasthanam (the 'room' where Balaji is). There are several reasons. One is just a time to prepare, or mentally 'set' yourself for worship. Another more mystical interpretation has to do with directions chakras are spinning.

Here's a couple of link on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parikrama

http://www.sanskrit.org/www/Hindu%20Primer/rituals.html

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Symbolism in Colors +

Namaste EM
    Nice explanation that.Thanks for the link.
    In and around the South of India granite is more abundantly available , hence it is used to make mulamurthys.
    The Northern part of India has more marble but a curious thing is there is sandstone as well but we dont see them used much for this purpose.
    Traditional sthapathis of the South talk about the special qualities of specially chosen granite.
    In TN ,we have what is called as Utsava murthys made of Pancha uloha-an alloy of five metals-they look like bronze ,they are moveable , they take " charge" from mulamurthy on utsava [ festival] days and go round on processions so that old , infirm devotees can have their darshan from their homes...
    I 'd been to the Parthasarathy temple [ Partha's charioter-Sri Krishna ] in Chennai-didn't know an utsav was about to start -different temples have different schedules-I and others in the line were rushed in to the ante -room just before the moolavar [ he is some 8 ' tall] gave " charge" to the utsava murthy who was all set to go out.
    I think I saw a smile on the face of Sri Parthasarathy as though to say " See, I am waiting for you and you are just walking around. Get here now" . I dont think it was the light reflection effect on the granite though...
    Loka Samasta Sukhino Bhavanthu

Flowing Along

Thread Information