Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kali Shakti Question

Kali Shakti Question

Namaste,

I am familiar with the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads, but only recently began learning more about other branches of Sanatana Dharma, specifically Shaktism.

As I learned more, I am drawn to Kali and everything that she represents. One thing that I am unclear of though is that Devi (correct term?) is usually worshipped as a caring mother. Is it ever appropriate/permissible to view the Goddess as something more akin to a romantic love? Not sexual, but viewing the Goddess embodied more towards my own age, so to speak.

I hope this makes sense. I have found in my own life that despite my great love for my mother that my most selfless love is for my wife.

Thanks

Re: Kali Shakti Question

Quote Originally Posted by sdevante View Post
    Namaste,

I am familiar with the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads, but only recently began learning more about other branches of Sanatana Dharma, specifically Shaktism.

As I learned more, I am drawn to Kali and everything that she represents. One thing that I am unclear of though is that Devi (correct term?) is usually worshipped as a caring mother. Is it ever appropriate/permissible to view the Goddess as something more akin to a romantic love? Not sexual, but viewing the Goddess embodied more towards my own age, so to speak.

I hope this makes sense. I have found in my own life that despite my great love for my mother that my most selfless love is for my wife.

Thanks
    Vannakkam: As with many questions, you may well get more than one answer. From my very limited understanding, it is absolutely fine, but shouldn't be the whole thing. God/Goddess has many attributes, forms, ways of looking at, etc., and this could be one of them.

For example, in my sampradaya, God is energy flowing through all form, primal soul, and Cause, Absolute Reality. God has Form and is formless, both.

In the Hindu wedding ceremony, (at least ones I have witnessed) there is a point where the man worships his wife as Shakti, and the wife worships the husband as Siva. It impresses you about the sanctity of marriage, and adds to the idea that God is in and through all things. So there are a lot of deeper reasons for this.

Hope this is of some benefit.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste sdevante.

Quote Originally Posted by sdevante View Post
    Namaste,

Is it ever appropriate/permissible to view the Goddess as something more akin to a romantic love? Not sexual, but viewing the Goddess embodied more towards my own age, so to speak.
    If you read about Sri Krishna and Srimati Radha, you will find that, while they are in reality Vishnu and Lakshmi, on Earth they were the exemplification of the most divine love, but I have never seen any references to anything sexual.

In fact, Sri Krishna later had three wives who were His queens, and by whom He fathered children, but Srimati Radha was not one of His wives or queens. The love between Srimati Radha and Sri Krishna was, afaik, the deepest kind of devotional love, more than any sexual union or kinship relationship.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste EM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    In the Hindu wedding ceremony, (at least ones I have witnessed) there is a point where the man worships his wife as Shakti, and the wife worships the husband as Siva.
    The show Charmed had an episode in which Piper was a manifestation of Shakti and Leo was a manifestation of Shiva. Artistic license run amuck?

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    they were the exemplification of the most divine love, but I have never seen any references to anything sexual.
    If you have not seen anything of Krishnas erotic plays that is because you have not looked close enough. I have been inCochin, Kerala visiting the Mattancherry Palace and in the bedchambers of the wifes of the king were erotic murals, one of them was depicting krishna in foreplay with 8 maidens, right beside him is a mural showing lord shiva in erotic embrace with shakti the paintings are done according to the dhyana slokas used in some tantras, the name is mentionened but i have forgotten it.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 20 January 2012 at 10:30 AM.

Namaste sdevante,

As I can only guess based on the information provided, you do not have currently a guru (other than Devi Herself) to seek guidance on this from; therefore my first preferred advice cannot be given ("Ask your guru")

With this in mind- just as in other paths, it may be best for one devotee to be as a child of Devi, another devotee to be as Her brother or sister, yet another to be as loving father or mother to Her, and still yet another to be as a husband to Her.. and of course, as has happened, at crucial points the devotee might find themselves having to change from one mode of relation to another, or to progress through all possible modes, depending on the devotee and what is best... all of this is no trivial matter, and great care needs to taken- I have often heard it said that the reason for emphasis on an initial approach in the form of Her child is the forgiveness of error, in the manner of a mother forgiving a child who almost burns down the house in an attempt to make her breakfast

So, to make a long story short- if you have no earthly guru to advise you in this, pray to Her for guidance; though She may already know all that is within your mind, it may be that asking Her directly and sincerely is the key to seeing Her intended path for you.

Again, I may be Shakta, but certainly no acharya or pandit to claim any wisdom in this- I do applaud your asking questions, and of course am always happy to see another who hear's Devi's call

May Maa's blessing be with you as your journey continues!

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste MahaHrada.

Quote Originally Posted by MahaHrada View Post
    If you have not seen anything of Krishnas erotic plays that is because you have not looked close enough. I have been inCochin, Kerala visiting the Mattancherry Palace and in the bedchambers of the wifes of the king were erotic murals, one of them was depicting krishna in foreplay with 8 maidens, right beside him is a mural showing lord shiva in erotic embrace with shakti the paintings are done according to the dhyana slokas used in some tantras, the name is mentionened but i have forgotten it.
    Now I am awared. Thank you. I knew He was a great tease of the gopis, but I did not know of anything more than that. However, I knew of a story that Lord Shiva was so "energized" that He took Maa Parvati right on the back of Nandi. I also knew that after He cut off Ganesha's head, Maa Parvati would would have nothing to do with Her husband, if you know what I mean.

Namaste MahaHrada.
    Jato hasta stato drusti, Whither the hand goes, the glance follows
    Jato drusti stato mana: Whither the glances lead, the mind follows
    Jato mana stato bhavo, Whither the mind goes, there the mood follows
    Jato bhava stato rasa: Whither the mood goes, there is "rasa" born.
    There are nine rasas or sentiments, they are as follows: Sringar (love), veera (heroism), bibhatsa (disgust), raudra (anger), hasya (mirth), bhayanaka (terror), karuna (pity), adbhuta (wonder), shanta (tranquillity).
    The queen of rasas is undoubtedly shringara rasa.
    Shringara rasa in today's undertones mean images of sexual love, or the pangs of separation, unfaithfulness of the beloved. Tiruvalluvar in the Kural has said: Love is sweeter than wine-its mere name intoxicates.
    But the Natya Shastra says that the erotic flavour arises from what ever is, sacred, pure, placid and worth seeing.

http://www.narthaki.com/info/articles/art238.html

Namaste TBL
    Google:

srngara rasa
    or
    shringara rasa

and you´ll find more about the usefulness of the romantic emotions. In the context of health and the spiritual path it has great value. A constant slight erotic emotion was often recommend as neccessary for the physical and emotional well being and health. It was customary in ancient times to keep at least one erotic picture in every room of the house to remain in a constant state of slight erotic arousal and bliss.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 20 January 2012 at 11:51 AM.

Fascinating! Thanks.

Namaste MahaHrada.

Now I am awared. Thank you. I knew He was a great tease of the gopis, but I did not know of anything more than that. However, I knew of a story that Lord Shiva was so "energized" that He took Maa Parvati right on the back of Nandi. I also knew that after He cut off Ganesha's head, Maa Parvati would would have nothing to do with Her husband, if you know what I mean.

Namaste TBTL, Unwittingly you have allowed yourself led into The Leela (illusion).

It is the classical murthis displayed in Mandirs that count, and they typically represent Hinduism. What one draws in ones own bedroom or or what one writes in poetry or drama or what a nut does in a cremation ground with white paint on his body is everything to do with his/her own personal deluded take on life and faith and it serves only one purpose for us - humor value, bereft of any spiritual substance. .

Thread Information