Thread: language in temple

language in temple

namaste all!

I am western born, and have been learning about the hindu dharma for 3-4 years now, and have been attending a local temple for about 6 months.

Very quickly I found that the language barrier was a large one, and I decided that I would learn.

that brought me to deciding what language to learn.

Now, i own a sanskrit textbook, and have made my way about halfway through it. I also just purchased a hindi textbook, and have done the first few chapters.

after doing a little of each, I came to the conclusion that learning them simultaneously would not be effective.

so I am here to ask which language would be the most beneficial to me becoming a part of the temple community, and help me along my path?

Sanskrit, I've gathered is more the scripture language, but is it spoken at all conversationally in the temple? Part of me leaned in the sanskrit direction, because I feel like it might show the pujari's I am serious about this (although, I may be fabricating this issue in my own head)

Hindi on the other hand, I believe would be great for conversing with other temple goers, but will that limit me in my study of scripture?

Any information offered would be greatly appreciated

Re: language in temple

Vannakkam:

Welcome to these forums. Your name reminds me of an old racehorse named JaketheRake.

What is it you feel you want to do with the language? Is it so you can conduct your own pujas at home? Then learn Sanskrit.

OTOH, if it is just to communicate with the people who go to your temple (I'm assuming it is actually Hindi, not Gujarati, Tamil, or Bengali) then that's what you should learn.

I have been attending temples in the west for 30 years, and i still just know English. The language of God is mostly just a vibratory rate called shakti that suits me fine, but each person is different. Maybe I'm just too old and lazy to bother learning another language.

Best wishes in it.

Aum namasivaya

Re: language in temple

Thank you for the reply

I actually ended up speaking with a pujari at my temple. His advice was to learn hindi, as being able to read sanskrit(which I can) is plenty for normal temple functions, and hindi would allow me to speak to other temple goers, and be more comfortable in the temple.

He also agreed to teach me some slokas and mantras

So, I think that's what I'm going to do. I've begun to learn hindi already, and am picking it up quite well. I feel the real struggle will be learning how to listen, rather than speak.

I have to say, in general, my experience with this temple has just been wonderful. It has been even better than I expected.

Anyone who is intimidated or worried about going to a temple (westerners, I mean) I would say just go. I did, and now I'm forming lovely relationships with some great people, as well as being fulfilled spiritually, like I never have before.

Just the atmosphere of the temple, is enough to turn my day around.

Thread Information