Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techno' Rave Church Service

Techno' Rave Church Service

I have no idea if this is fake or not but I found it quite amusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13jjz...e_gdata_player
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Re: Techno' Rave Church Service

looks like real, church will do anything to attract and keep people.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Vannakkam: When there is no real attractable truth in a religion, and everyone is bored out of their minds, the church will stoop to anything. This is not unlike bribery, but will it work?

Obviously this guy thinks it will, but I'm guessing it won't actually convert or retain anyone. Once the raves stop, and someone has to get down to the philosophy, well... who knows.

When I was a kid, churches in town had youth groups, and they's do things like hayrides, and invite anyone and everyone. Lots of people would go on the hayride, because it was fun, but church the next day? No way.

Aum Namasivaya

Oh, it's real all right. It's called "worshiptainment". It's mostly used in "born again" (aren't we all ) and evangelical congregations. Usually they have a "worship band" which is nothing more than a rock or rockabilly band... bass guitar, rhythm and lead guitars, drums, and vocalist. Some of them are downright laughable.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namasté,

This is very likely real and isn't the first effort by the church to incorporate youth lifestyles in order to attract young people to services; other examples are the Goth Eucharist and even Goth online church.

Christian church is not only dull because of a lack of compelling truth - good thoughts, EM - but because there's so little to engage the senses, and no meditative tradition to teach sense-control. Christian music is often plain and slow with obviously-rhyming words, "beauty" is confused with "vanity" and therefore shunned by many denominations, and many of the stories describe pastoral people and issues that seem remote. Church services can indeed be boring, and a restless worshipper who drifts off and starts making a mental grocery list mid-service will only feel worse. (Hindu temples have the right idea, I think, in offering both solitary and communal worship in which an attendee may come at any time and find whatever meaning there s/he wishes.)

Moreover, Sanātana Dharma encourages questions and therefore fosters a rich folk tradition, in which people gladly continue to write, compose, and re-invent, finding endless meaning in the same stories. But Christianity discourages questioning, re-interpretation, and updating. There's one main Book, that tells things one way, and that's how it must be for a good Christian.

So I can't blame these pastors that are trying to cross a huge gulf between their religion - which has not stood the test of time well - and alienated young people that they want to help. And it saddens me to see creative, faithful people having to pull from popular culture, to express and interpret what their own liturgies cannot.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 25 January 2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Rephrasing a bit.

Hi all thanks for the replys ^^

But isn't that a form of Brainwashing mind control thingy which plants techno trance hymns into the subjects mind? Isn't that ilegal?
    Religion = self idenity = entrapment,
    Only in silence will you find God.

Hindu organisations are also starting to use these techniques. Just look at most dipavali celebrations which have become a far cry from worshipping Lakshmi devi. Hindu organisations are already concerned about altering religious services to attract the youth. Poojas are now accomplished with bollywood dance perfomances. Pundits are given less time to perform the pooja. People don't have the patience to sit for elaborate and old fashioned rituals anymore, but want pundits to give a sermon like a Christian pastor and act more like a social worker. I don't care much about Christians ruining their religion, there wasn't much to ruin anyway. But we should guard that Hindus do not start copying the Christians, because the idealisation of western standards.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 25 January 2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Hindu organisations are also starting to use these techniques. Just look at most dipavali celebrations which have become a far cry from worshipping Lakshmi devi. Sooner or later Hindu mandirs will use the same techniques as Christian churches.
    Vannakkam: That may be true for some Hindu Mandirs, but it'll be a very long time for some others. There is a wide range now on what goes. Certainly something like that would end my days of temple worship.

Aum Namasivaya

I know, it is happening in some places, not everywhere. We also can't also generalise these things for Christianity, but Hinduism is not immune to it either.

It's not a new phenomenon in Christianity. It started back in the 1970s with Catholic "folk Masses", one Mass each weekend that was accompanied by acoustic guitars and singers. It was the RCC's answer to Peter, Paul and Mary (pun intended) to draw the younger people.

One of the most butchered I remember was the playing of My Sweet Lord minus the chorus of the Mahamantra and the Guru Brahma mantra. If you're not going to be true to the song, don't effing play it! I will never forget that abomination (and I was about 14 years old).
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information