Thread: Why is there restlessness?

Why is there restlessness?

Some ppl say it's psychological, while others say it's spiritual. Why can't we just sit still and be happy? Does it mean we're incomplete and are looking for something?

Re: Why is there restlessness?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Restlessness = rago guna. Patience and calmness = sattva guna.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by dustyroad View Post
    Some ppl say it's psychological, while others say it's spiritual. Why can't we just sit still and be happy? Does it mean we're incomplete and are looking for something?
    Vannakkam: I think this is an excellent question, and one which all of us pose in respect to ourselves when we become more contemplative. t comes in various forms like, "Why can't I meditate? Why can't I sit still for even a few minutes? or Why do I always feel like getting up and going?"

For me personally, the answer lies in the nature of soul and God. It is God's nature to have His own movement. This is incorporates in the imagery of Siva Nataraja, Lord of Dance. We are part of that, so we dance (are restless). But as we (souls, not people) come closer to Him, we learn (through practice, and over lifetimes of sadhana) to calm down, to go within, to sit still.

Aum Namasivaya

namaste dustyroad.

When everything in the creation of this universe is vibration, where is the scope for rest? Physics says that there is no absolute rest in the universe.

• If this table before me appears to be at rest, it is because of constant reinforcement of the same patterns of vibrations at the atomic level, of all constitutents of the table. This is more like the computer screen refreshed at so-many times per second to keep the image still on it.

• One reason for restlessness of our mind could be the food we take. As Yajvan would say, food comprises all things we imbibe through our senses. Another reason could be the breath. With proper, deep breathing, the mind is bound to be controlled, because prANa and manas are inter-related and influence each other closely.

• We are not incomplete spiritually in the sense, there is some flaw in the make up of our antaHkaraNa--inner organ, which comprises chitta, manas, buddhi, ahaMkAra (the four parts/functions of the mind which stores impressions, processes thoughts, cautions to be wise, and gives us the sesnse of I-ness).

• We might be defective physically, but there is nothing lacking in the antaHkaraNa for any of us. What nourishes and controls this inner organ is our free will, with which we shape our destiny. Our free will is the individual manifestation of the universal consciousness that is Brahman (prajnAnam brahma--consciousness is brahman).

• The vibrations in the physical universe are sustained to be in order by the universal consciousness of Brahman which is steadfast. The vibrations in the mental universe are sustained by the free will of individuals, which foreever swerves and is never steadfast. This is the cause for the restlessness and disorder among the people.

• As for happiness, so long as it is born out of, and settles down in peace, it could be lasting. Happiness could be selfish--I could be happy at the cost of the happiness of another--but peace is universal. Just like prANa and manas, happiness and peace are inter-related. Where happiness ensures peace, it spreads around, losing its selfish individuality.

Since there is bound to be restlessness in mind, the key is to ensure restful action that ensures happiness and peace, instead of restless action which only creates chaos.
    रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Restlessness is the irritating manifestation of loss of synchronicity between mental pace and physical pace.

There is rush of thought in mind,body is lagging behind.you will get restlessness.
    Do something which will infuse adrenaline rush in your body.You will be fine.

So the basic principle is that there is constant infusion of energy into our mental body from the infinite resource called Kundalini.this should be regulated properly so that it pass up through spinal channels to sahasrara. By constant useless thoughts/desires/other sensual means,mind creates chaos in this energy flow.and now these energy will circulate throughout the pranic channels in our body and cause restlessness.

In Ayurveda,this form of angry/negative energy is called VAYU-KOPA.Thus this energy in the form of polluted Vayu(prana) cause not only mental agony,but also
    physical diseases.

unless these energy goes out,we will be restlessness.with some sort of physical activities,sports,long driving,fighting,sex,eating etc....these energy gets dissipated out and we become calm.For this we need complete SATTVIKA FOOD(here food means whatever we are receiving through our 5 senses).

By constantly regulating the mind with regulated thought,we can chanellise the thought upwards and ascend to higher peace.such practice gradually change our nature sattvika.

Rajas=restlessness
    Tammas=depression/death/lethargy
    Sattva= peace

Jayaguru
    Last edited by anirvan; 01 February 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: add
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

Namaste,

Restlessness.

In my opinion,
    We stuff our mind with so much of details - so many thoughts. In this short period of 24 hours we work 8 hours. On work, we not only work but we try to get done more and more by any means. We try to get promotions. Whatever we do in these 8 hours, we do not empty at the office, we carry all the stuff with us at home and keep thinking how to get more and more. If we work to get our basic need to be satisfied, we can get peace but we work to get more and more.

At home,we think about family, how to get them better and more better. We need more and more facilities, so we have TV which keep on stuffing our mind with so many unnecessary thoughts. Like I want to buy, better dress even if current dress is good enough, but we need to be with latest fashion. We need to buy gold ring from - kiss begins with K - Kay jewelers. so when this circles start, it is very much difficult to come out of this circle-whirlpool. So there is not limit of satisfaction. We do not have satisfaction.

In my opinion, Satisfaction brings peace. In far country side, away from all these technologies, lying down in open air. Simple food, simple living, helps to get rid of restlessness and helps to bring peace.
    Namaskar,

AmIHindu ?

यज्ञानां जपयज्ञोऽस्मि ।

नाम्नोऽस्ति यावती शक्तिः पापनिर्हरणे हरेः । श्र्वपचोऽपि नरः कतुँ क्षमस्तावन्नकिल्विषम् ।।

Quote Originally Posted by dustyroad View Post
    Minds nature is to constantly be on the move. But it can be trained to focus.

A sort of related thing. We are never satisfied regardless of what we achieve materially ($, power, respect, fun etc etc). Why? We are always searching for completeness(Purnatva) as it is our real nature. Moksha is the only thing that will remove that feeling of incompleteness. Can we reach a stage where we are completely satisfied with material achievements?

Thread Information