Thread: Seva ideas

Seva ideas

Hari Om!

Am thirsty for seva opportunities. Although I contribute money and other offerings to the temple, I want to be much much more involved whether it is in the temple or otherwise. My limitation is my schedule. I would need to be able to do things on an irregular basis because I don't always work the same hours or days. I've made my intentions known several times at the mandir but feel that the language barrier is probably the reason for lack of activity. Would it be appropriate to just go in and start cleaning the place or something similar? Don't want to offend panditji or others who may have already taken this to task.

So, any suggestions? Perhaps one might share what seva they do or would like to do. I would like to limit putting my energy into Hindu causes if possible.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Re: Seva ideas

Maybe you need to talk to the manager or trustees? - all Hindu temples in USA have them. Some do more Seva and in others it all depends on the individuals driving it. In the temple (USA) that I frequent there are numerous opportunities to do Seva - from teaching Balavihar, helping out in the Kitchen in the weekend, sandwich for homeless, making garlands, decorating the Lord, cleaning the tiles etc. etc. I think the challenge is more in India where most temples are state controlled.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Am thirsty for seva opportunities. Although I contribute money and other offerings to the temple, I want to be much much more involved whether it is in the temple or otherwise. My limitation is my schedule. I would need to be able to do things on an irregular basis because I don't always work the same hours or days. I've made my intentions known several times at the mandir but feel that the language barrier is probably the reason for lack of activity. Would it be appropriate to just go in and start cleaning the place or something similar? Don't want to offend panditji or others who may have already taken this to task.

So, any suggestions? Perhaps one might share what seva they do or would like to do. I would like to limit putting my energy into Hindu causes if possible.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    Vannakkam: Some temple boards have a very cliquey sense of distrust for outsiders by the board. If you're facing that, only a great deal of time will ovrcome it, if that. Best wishes.

Aum Namasivaya

Hari Om!

Yes some resistance has been encountered for a few reasons; the language barrier, after attending for several years still being considered an outsider even by some (not all) on the board that I've approached, etc.

I had inquired several months ago how to make the mandir my beneficiary when I pass and still no contact. Guess it's just not the right person that I've encountered yet. I'll keep trying by the mercy of the Lord. Yes, I'll scrub toilets if need be - anything to help overcome ego and to be able to give selflessly to others.

If I may so selfish, please pray for me on this. It is of paramount importance to me at this stage in my life unless of course the Lord would have it otherwise.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith View Post
    Hari Om!

Yes some resistance has been encountered for a few reasons; the language barrier, after attending for several years still being considered an outsider even by some (not all) on the board that I've approached, etc.

I had inquired several months ago how to make the mandir my beneficiary when I pass and still no contact. Guess it's just not the right person that I've encountered yet. I'll keep trying by the mercy of the Lord. Yes, I'll scrub toilets if need be - anything to help overcome ego and to be able to give selflessly to others.

If I may so selfish, please pray for me on this. It is of paramount importance to me at this stage in my life unless of course the Lord would have it otherwise.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Jai Hanuman!
    Vannakkam: I don't think you need to inform a beneficiary if it is a charity. You can just leave it to them, and your appointed trustee will handle it.

Another method of volunteering came to mind. Just approach a volunteer, not the board. It will cut through some of the politics. Here I get approached occasionally with "How can I help you?" and the individual is referring to me as the unofficial chief landscape volunteer. Then I just suggest a few things they could do to help 'me' out. (It's really the temple.) One young man in particular has been a great help over the years. So if you can spot some person who is often there doing stuff, you can 'apprentice'. if you happened to be here (not any more, everything is changing) over the last ten years, I could have given you a ton of work.

So I think you're right ... just a matter of finding the right person. Often boards are the talkers, and the workers are other people altogether ... sneaky behind the scenes guys.

Aum Namasivaya

Agree with EM. It is possible that small temples dont have many activities ongoing. So if you want to start something new from scratch then it becomes a little difficult. But even they have regular activities - helping in kitchen, in busy times, mala making etc. - you can just ask the priest. There was a lady making mala and when we asked if she needed help she immediately said yes. Temples with lots of ongoing activities are easier and you can approach volunteers - they are always looking for others who can help.

Thread Information