Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Shiva

Re: I am Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee View Post
    Om Namah Shivaya

----
    With a tranquil mind, to abide continuously in the Self is the ultimate sat karma -- beyond which there is no karma --- only the shivoadvaitam atma.

O, Lord, grant the tranquility and a place at your feet.

Om Namah Shivaya

I manifests as three. The body-mind. The subtle karana sharair. And the true, the innermost yet infinite boundary less "I am" in the heart. Atma is the one who has this "I am". OM is its manifestation. The ego i realises when it investigates and finds that it has not created the intelligence, the digestive power, and the locomotion power.

Om Namah Shivaya. Whatever is the manifest OM is you alone, Lord. With respectful mind, this ego i submits everything to the "I". Accept the offering and let the mind in peace, Lord.

Yajur Veda iv. 4. 8.

(Thou “I” art) all overcoming through Agni; self-ruling through the sun; lord of strength through might; creator with the bull; bountiful through the sacrifice; heavenly through the sacrificial fee; slayer of enemies through rage; supporter of the body through kindliness; wealth through food; through the earth he hath won; (thou art) eater of food with verses; increased by the Vasat cry; protector of the body through the Saman; full of light with the Viraj; drinker of Soma through the holy power; with cows he supporteth the sacrifice; with lordly power men; with horse and car bearer of the bolt; lord with the seasons; enclosing with the year; unassailable through penance; the sun with bodies.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 30 July 2007 at 08:20 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

I am Shiva

YV ii. 6. 8.

The gods excluded Rudra from the sacrifice; he pierced the sacrifice, the gods gathered round it (saying), 'May it be right for us.' They said, 'Well offered will this be for us, if we propitiate him.'

Lord, offerings that propitiate you are only well offered.

Mahabharata Book 12 Shanti Parva

SECTION CCLXXXIV

"Janamejaya said, 'How O Brahmana, was the Horse-sacrifice of the Prajapati Daksha, the son of Prachetas, destroyed during the age of Vaivaswata Manu?

"Vaisampayana said, 'In days of yore Daksha made arrangements for performing a Sacrifice on the breast of Himavat. The gods, the Danavas, the Gandharvas, the Pisachas, the Snakes, the Rakshasas, the two Gandharvas named Haha and Huhu, Tumvuru and Narada, Viswavasu, Viswasena, the Gandharvas and the Apsaras, the Adityas, the Vasus, the Rudras, the Sadhyas, the Maruts, all came there with Indra for sharing in the Sacrifice. The gods also, with their spouses, respectfully invited thereto, came on their celestial cars and seated thereon shone like blazing fires.

Beholding them, the Rishi Dadhichi became filled with grief and wrath, and said, 'This is neither a Sacrifice nor a meritorious rite of religion, since Rudra is not adored in it. Ye are certainly exposing yourselves to death and chains. Alas, how untoward is the course of time. Stupefied by error you do not behold that destruction awaits you. A terrible calamity stands at your door in course of this great Sacrifice. Ye are blind to it!' Having said these words, that great Yogin saw into the future with eyes of (Yoga) contemplation. He beheld Mahadeva, and his divine spouse, viz., that giver of excellent boons (seated on the summit of Kailasa) with the highsouled Narada sitting beside the goddess. Dadhichi alone, desirous of leaving that spot, then said, 'By worshipping one who should not be worshipped, and by refusing to worship him who should be worshipped, a man incurs the sin of homicide for ever. I have never before spoken an untruth, and an untruth I shall never speak. Here in the midst of the gods and the Rishis I say the truth. The Protector of all creatures, the Creator of the universe, the Lord of all, the Puissant master, the taker of sacrificial offerings, will soon come to this Sacrifice and you all shall see him.'

"Daksha said, 'We have many Rudras armed with lances and bearing matted locks on their heads. They are eleven in number. I know them all, but I do not know who this (new Rudra) Maheswara is.'

"Dadhichi said, 'This seems to be the counsel of all that are here, viz., that Maheswara should not be invited. As, however, I do not behold any god that can be said to be superior to him. I am sure that this proposed Sacrifice of Daksha will certainly be overtaken by destruction.'

"Daksha said, 'Here, in this vessel of gold, intended for the Lord of all Sacrifices, is the sacrificial offering sanctified by mantras and (rites) according to the ordinance. I intend to make this offering unto Vishnu who is beyond compare. He is puissant and the Master of all, and unto Him should sacrifices be performed.'

'Meanwhile,' continued Vaisampayana, 'the goddess Uma, sitting with her lord, said these words.'

"Uma said, 'What are those gifts, what those vows, and what are those penances, that I should make or undergo by means of which my illustrious husband may be able to obtain a half or a third share of the offerings in sacrifices. Unto his wife who was agitated with grief and who repeated these words the illustrious Mahadeva said with a joyous countenance, 'Thou dost not know me, O goddess! Thou knowest not, O thou of delicate limbs and low belly, what words are proper to be addressed to the Lord of Sacrifices. O lady of large eyes, I know that it is only the sinful, who are bereft of contemplation that do not understand me. It is through thy power of illusion that the deities with Indra at their head and the three worlds all become stupefied. It is to me that the chanters utter their praises in Sacrifices. It is to me that the Saman-singers sing their Rathantaras. It is to me that Brahmanas conversant with the Vedas perform their Sacrifices. And it is to me that the Adhvaryus dedicate the shares of sacrificial offerings.'

"The goddess said, 'Persons of even ordinary abilities applaud themselves and indulge in the presence of their spouses. There is no doubt in this.'

"The holy one said, 'O Queen of all the gods, I do not certainly applaud my ownself. Behold now, O lady of slender waist, what I do. Behold the Being that I will create, O thou of the fairest complexion, for (destroying) this Sacrifice (that has displeased thee), O my beautiful spouse.

"Having said these words unto his spouse Uma who was dearer to him than his own life, the puissant Mahadeva created from his mouth a terrible Being whose very sight could make one's hair stand on its end. The blazing flames that emanated from his body rendered him exceedingly awful to behold. His arms were many in number and in each was a weapon that struck the beholder with fear. That Being, thus created, stood before the great god, with joined hands, and said, 'What commands shall I have to accomplish?'

Maheswara answered him, saying, 'Go and destroy the Sacrifice of Daksha.' --------

---------

Loud were the roars they uttered which struck every living creature with dread. Having torn off the head of Sacrifice they indulged in glee and shouts.

Then the gods headed by Brahman, and that progenitor of creatures, viz., Daksha, joining their hands in reverence, addressed that mighty Being, saying, 'Tell us, who thou art.'

Om Namah Shivaya

Lord, offerings that propitiate you are only well offered.
    Last edited by atanu; 05 August 2007 at 10:35 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Lord, Jivas lust after their own mental creations. There is no attraction in flesh, since a fleshy body from which life has withdrawn does not attract anyone.

But the whole world is suffering because of the notion 'this fleshy body is me and that attractive fleshy body is worth possessing'. That the flesh in itself has no attraction is easy to comprehend. But there still remains the fundamental problem, the eternal fountain of Arka generated from the warmth, from Bhargo. When Arka fills up, it wants a release (and after release the desire vanishes temporarily till Arka reforms). This warmth makes a man/woman imagine flesh to be attractive, due to non-discrimination. It makes men/wpmen mad with desire.

Lord, pray channelise the Arka up. Pray, illumine the meaning of the following verses, since there is an intuition that full comprehension of these verses will mitigate all sufferings.

RV

10.061.05 (Rudra), the benefactor of man, whose eager, virile energy was developed, drew it back when disseminated (for the generation of offspring); again the irresistible (Rudra) concentrates (the energy) which was communicated to his maiden daughter.

10.061.06 When the deed was done in mid-heaven in the proximity of the father working his will, and the daughter coming together, they let the seed fall slightly; it was poured upon the high place of sacrifice.

10.061.07 When the father united with the daughter, then associating with the earth, he sprinkled it with the effusion; then the thoughtful gods begot Brahma; they fabricated the lord of the hearth (of sacrifice); the defender of sacred rites.

Om Namah Shivayya

It is easy to see that Brahma and the Lord of the sacrifice are mental fabrications of Rishis. The reality is Rudra and His consort, the warmth.

Om Namah Shivayya

Om Namah Shivaya

These are few of the thousand names of Shiva, taught by Shri Krishna in Mahabharata

Om Bahuda ninditaya nama - Who has been insulted in several ways
    Om Aninditaya nama - Who is blameless

Om Ahirbudhnyaya nama - Who is of the form of Adi Sesha
    Om Ajaikapade nama - Who is the one among the eleven Rudras

Om Krishnaaya nama - Who is ever happy
    Om Vishnu prasaditaya nama - Who has been pleased by the devotion of Vishnu
    Om Somaya nama - Who is with Uma
    Om Vasavaaya nama - Who is in the form of Indra
    Om Yagnaya nama - Who is of the form of Vishnu
    Om Vamanaya nama - Who came in form of Vamana
    Om Prajapataye nama - Who is the God of the people
    Om Vainavine nama - Who has a flute in his hand
    Om Panavine nama - Who has a shaking drum in his hand
    Om Jalesayaya nama - Who sleeps on water in the form of Vishnu
    Om Aditaye nama - Who is the God mother called Aditi

Om Shivaya nama - Who is the purest under any condition
    Om Atulyaya nama - Who is incomparable

What Lord is not? ninditaya and aninditaya both.

Om Atulyaya nama

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 11 September 2007 at 12:36 PM.

Om Namah Shivaya

-----
    What Lord is not? ninditaya and anindidaya both.

Om Atulyaya nama

Om Namah Shivaya
    Shiva bhaktas, while worshipping Vishnu, the highest purity, do not hate Ravana. They have samadhristi.

Since what is from Lord may be blameless and blameworthy, but Lord is
    the purest under any condition and He is incomparable. He has no second.

Om Shivaya nama
    Om Atulyaya nama

Sixteen armed dancing Shiva Nataraja

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Kaos; 17 July 2007 at 04:57 PM.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaos View Post

Sixteen armed dancing Shiva Nataraja

Om Namah Shivaya
    Dear Kaos,

Where is the pygmy?

The Good Foot
    Which is lifted up
    I’ve seen.
    I’ve seen the Light too:
    I’ve seen the dancer inside
    The pure space:
    The feet imprinted upon
    The attacking head
    Are the Guru’s Feet,
    So
    Dance snake!
    Dance!

Pampitti Chttar

Shiva’s liberated souls are berserkers, high on the sword dance of existence, dervishes twirling out of the fetters of ego and high wire artists stepping across the yawning chasm of the void. They are surfers on the crest of the steadily rushing, rolling, cascading wave of their life. Any instant, they could be dropped into the abyss to a wipe-out. But they do not think, like the ego-pygmy thinks. For them there is no other, they are one with the wave.

Wolf-Dieter Storl

Wolf Dieter has retold the KESIN SUKTA for the modern times.

Dear Kaos,

Where is the pygmy?

The Good Foot

Which is lifted up
    I’ve seen.
    I’ve seen the Light too:
    I’ve seen the dancer inside
    The pure space:
    The feet imprinted upon
    The attacking head
    Are the Guru’s Feet,
    So
    Dance snake!
    Dance!

Pampitti Chttar

Shiva’s liberated souls are berserkers, high on the sword dance of existence, dervishes twirling out of the fetters of ego and high wire artists stepping across the yawning chasm of the void. They are surfers on the crest of the steadily rushing, rolling, cascading wave of their life. Any instant, they could be dropped into the abyss to a wipe-out. But they do not think, like the ego-pygmy thinks. For them there is no other, they are one with the wave.

Wolf-Dieter Storl

Wolf Dieter has retold the KESIN SUKTA for the modern times.

Lord has infinite names. But one name that is foremost and constant is "I",
    pratyaksha in everybeing. Leaving that we hanker after anyadevata.

Om Namah Shivaya

Lord Shiva’s marriage

Lord Shiva’s marriage

The episode of Lord’s marriage to Parvati has enriched art and literature for long.

There are some aspects in these stories which are endearing, bringing the Lord to our level as a great friend, as a vulnerable being who is yet the Great Lord. I wish to relate this small one, hoping that it entertains. I am relating only a part, since the larger story most devotees know.

During Lord Shiva’s marriage, Lord Brahma was the priest. In the heat of Agni and in the vicinity of young supine Parvati, old Brahma’s virility arose. He kept pressing his knee to muladhara to control the erection but he was helpless. He spurted. And it was Brahma’s semen. Some beings took birth. Lord Shiva was extremely annoyed at the impropriety of the whole situation – father-in-law lusting at the bride.

So, a chaos broke out. It would have ended as Daksha Yagna had Lord Vishnu not interfered.

Then Lord Vishnu was aware of an impending issue. He knew that all the snakes around Shiva would be frightened the moment Garuda descends. So, He had a word with the snakes. When Garuda alighted, the snakes slithered off Lord Shiva’s body and the clothes they held fastened also slithered down Lord’s body. Lord Shiva stood there in his primordial glory when all maidens, including Parvati giggled and ran away. Lord Vishnu roared with laughter and Lord Shiva stood there smiling sheepishly (My comment: He truly is Hara in sheep’s disguise).

Then a maid asked Parvati “Why, your eyes were so fastened there as if by glue?”

No disrespect is meant. But must God be raunchy. How else we are raunchy? God possibly wants us to laugh and not take things too seriously.

Om Namah Shivaya

True Shiva is Mauna

The doctrines of all religions contradict each other. They wage war, collide with each other, and finaly die.

On this battlefield all religions retreat defeated when they stand before mauna, which abides beneficiently, sustaining them all.

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information