Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: I am Shiva

Re: I am Shiva

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
    Victory to the Golden one!

Khandogya upanishad, 6th Khanda.
    1. The Rik (veda) is this earth, the Sâman (veda) is fire. This Sâman (fire) rests on that Rik (earth). Therefore the Sâman is sung as resting on the Rik. Sâ is this earth, ama is fire, and that makes Sâma.

2. The Rik is the sky, the Sâman air. This Sâman (air) rests on that Rik (sky). Therefore the Sâman is sung as resting on the Rik. Sâ is the sky, ama the air, and that makes Sâma.

3. Rik is heaven, Sâman the sun. This Sâman (sun) rests on that Rik (heaven). Therefore the Sâman is sung as resting on the Rik. Sâ is heaven, ama the sun, and that makes Sâma.

4. Rik is the stars, Sâman the moon. This Sâman (moon) rests on that Rik (stars). Therefore the Sâman is sung as resting on the Rik. Sâ is the stars, ama the moon, and that makes Sâma.

5. Rik is the white light of the sun, Sâman the blue exceeding darkness (in the sun). This Sâman (darkness) rests on that Rik (brightness). Therefore the Sâman is sung as resting on the Rik.

6. Sâ is the white light of the sun, ama the blue exceeding darkness, and that makes Sâma.
    Now that golden person, who is seen within the sun, with golden beard and golden hair, golden altogether to the very tips of his nails,

7. Whose eyes are like blue lotus's, his name is ut, for he has risen (udita) above all evil. He also who knows this, rises above all evil.

8. Rik and Sâman are his joints, and therefore he is udgîtha. And therefore he who praises him (the ut) is called the Ud-gâtri (the out-singer). He (the golden person, called ut) is lord of the worlds beyond that (sun), and of all the wishes of the Devas (inhabiting those worlds)...

(don't know where this is on the "rungs")

Namaste BG, (et.al)
    Chandogya Upanishad is one of my favorites... [ some write this Chaandogya, or ChAnogya and I see you have used the Khandogya spelling too]

On one end this Chandogya is the chanting of the saman as part of the sacrifice/yajya. On another end it also offers -that which can be understood by or attained by chandas alone. One can look at this as chad or ~ to keep away (chadi samvarame) , or to make delighted (chadi ahladane). So this Chandogya can also be seen as the secret hidden away which makes one delighted. What is that then? Its Brahmavidya.
    Just listening to the saman is considered fruitful.

That said, in Canto 1 ( Chapt 1), it has much to do with somayaga ( some write yajya), udgatr ( or the priest who sings the saman) and what he's sings/chants is udgitha. From your post above from this upanishad I.6.1 to I.6.8, it is a subset of the notion of udgitha as the essential content to everything. Some say udgitha is the subtlest rasa of all, and all that comes into being is from this.

I.2.3 - That which is this udgitha, the eighth, the essence of all essences is the Supreme, is competent for the highest place.

So in Chapt I, we see how duality is reduced to non-dual i.e. speech is indeed the rk; breath is the saman; the syllable oM is the udgitha. Now speech and breath are together is a couple, as is the rk and saman together [I.1.5] or speech is indeed rk or vak eva rk.

Yet there is one more meaning one can click down on...
    The entire first Canto of this Upanishad is is about meditatively adoring udgitha as oM and knowing its meaning is superior to doing so without understanding.
    That is, the yajya will still yield its fruit, for that event. But the one knowingly ,fully aware of the connections of udgitha to oM and to even the stobha (seemingly meaningless akasra's added to the saman to balance its chandas or its melody) the benefits are deeper and wider. This is called out in I.13.

Thank you for bringing Chandogya to the conversation.

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 November 2007 at 11:26 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Good day Yajvan,

Thank you for the very insightful information! The Khandogya upanishad is also one of my favorites. (I've only read a few upanishads so far)

Are you and some of the other people here ordained teachers of Vedas? It sure sounds like many here have done a great deal of study and reflection related to Hindu doctrine and history!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Good day Yajvan,

Thank you for the very insightful information! The Khandogya upanishad is also one of my favorites. (I've only read a few upanishads so far)

Are you and some of the other people here ordained teachers of Vedas? It sure sounds like many here have done a great deal of study and reflection related to Hindu doctrine and history!
    Namaste BG ( is it okay to address you as BG?)

I cannot speak for others but I know I am in good company as this is key to a healthy and wise forum. And I believe we work at this, to keep the quality high.

For me and sadhana its just a way of life for some time now. Formal traning? yes, but not in the shastra's. This is reading and study on a regular basis. As you will see many have the same diet of study. Knowledge and experience (of turya) is the order of the day.

I view myself as a student of life. I am avarena narena or one who has not attained SELF, yet with firm resolve trying to correct this blemish (mala).

Hope to see more of your posts on Chandogyopanishad.

...you are akshitamasi (imperishable), you are achyutamasi (unchangable) you are pranasamshitamasi ( the essense) of prana....Ghora Angirasa speaking to Krsna, son of Devaki, Chandogya Upanishad III.17.6

pranams,
    Last edited by yajvan; 08 November 2007 at 11:24 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan,

Your use of the handle BG is fine with me. As you say this forum is of high quality. (which is something one does not find everyday on the internet)

Thank you for the encouragement about me making further posts; that was kind of you.

I feel that about all we can do is seek to fufill the wisely revealed Dharmas as best as we can and forgive ourselves and others for any errors (or blemish) along the way; while Grace without error and quintessentially deep inside the Dharmas, miraculously does what we can not do by ourselves to bring fufillment of all Dharmas.

From the Khandogya Upanishad, VII Prapathaka, 24th Khanda.

1. Where one sees nothing else, hears nothing else, understands nothing else, that is the Infinite. Where one sees something else, hears something else, understands something else, that is the finite. The Infinite is immortal, the finite is mortal.

Sir, in what does the Infinite rest? In its own greatness - or not even in greatness.

2. In the world they call cows and horses, elephants and gold, slaves, wives, fields and houses greatness. I do not mean this, thus he spoke; for in that case one being (the possessor) rests in something else, (but the Infinite cannot rest in something different from itself)

1. The Infinite indeed is below, above, behind, before, right and left--it is indeed all this. Now follows the explanation of the Infinite as the I: I am below, I am above, I am behind, before, right and left--I am all this.

2. Next follows the explanation of the Infinite as the Self: Self is below, above, behind, before, right and left - Self is all this. He who sees, perceives, and understands this, loves the Self, delights in the Self, revels in the Self, rejoices in the Self--he becomes a Svarag, (an autocrat or self-ruler) he is lord and master in all the worlds. But those who think differently from this, live in perishable worlds, and have other beings for their rulers.

1. To him who sees, perceives, and understands this, the spirit (prana) springs from the Self, hope springs from the Self, memory springs from the Self; so do ether, fire, water, appearance and disappearance, food, power, understanding, reflection, consideration, will, Mind, speech, names, sacred hymns, and sacrifices--aye, all this springs from the Self.

Om

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

I feel that about all we can do is seek to fufill the wisely revealed Dharmas as best as we can and forgive ourselves and others for any errors (or blemish) along the way; while Grace without error and quintessentially deep inside the Dharmas, miraculously does what we can not do by ourselves to bring fufillment of all Dharmas.

Namaste and hello BG,
    thank you for the Chandogya verses...just a wealth of knowledge.

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."... Mahatma Gandhi

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

OM

Nagendra Haaraaya Thrilochanaaya
    Bhasmaanga Raagaaya Maheshvaraaya
    Nityaaya Suddhaaya Digambaraaya
    Tasmai Nakaaraaya Namah Shivaaya
    satay

Smile Re: Darsan of the downward-looking face

Love was born first
    the gods cannot reach it,
    or the spirits, or men....
    Far as heaven and earth extend,
    far as the waters go,
    high as the fire burns,
    you are greater, love!
    The wind cannot reach you,
    nor the fire, nor the sun, nor the moon:
    you are greater than them all, love!"

Atharva Veda 9.2.19
    With resolution, let all thoughts be silence, still all passion, and in joyful union with God know the oneness of LOVE.

Behold all with inner peace and the same evenness of LOVE.

Traditionally, Dharma is based in the inviolable law of Karma and the fundamental principle of absolute Kama (i.e. universal Compassion, or simply LOVE).

The pinnacle of Bhakti Yoga is Attachment without Attachment (i.e. unconditional LOVE).

The divine law of Ahimsa (unconditional LOVE towards all beings) leads one to Ganesha (the Isha of Ganas or the Lord of Beings) who swiftly removes any obstacle to salvation.
    LOVE is ...

Re: Darsan of the downward-looking face

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga View Post
    Beautifully said.

May I add these:

Love is kind
    It does not envy
    It does not boast
    It is not proud
    It is not rude
    It is not self-seeking
    It is not easily angered
    It keeps no record of wrongs
    Love does not delight in evil
    But rejoices in the truth
    It always protects
    Always trusts
    Always hopes
    Always perseveres
    Love...........................VC

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes."... Mahatma Gandhi

pranams
    If freedom does not allow us to make mistake, then it is not freedom. The very Purpose of freedom is to find Love.

Love.......................Vc

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana View Post
    If freedom does not allow us to make mistake, then it is not freedom. The very Purpose of freedom is to find Love.

Love.......................Vc
    Namaste All,

I think this is profound. Like Ramana Maharshi says, only true freedom a man has is to love God.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information