Thread: Veggie eats meat: Reflections

Veggie eats meat: Reflections

I have been vegetarian for more than 10 years now for ethical and spiritual reasons. I am not fussy though, I do occasionally eat eggs(though it is not my first preference) and jelly, and I don't mind eating food cooked in the same oil as meat or eating something which has meat on it(but removing the meat) so I am not purely consistent with my reasons for being vegetarian, but for the most part I adhere strongly to vegetarianism.I have contemplated becoming a pescitarian(eating fish) Recently, I went to a buffet and there were very few vegetarian options, so I decided I would eat some fish finally. So I chose a few dishes that appeared to have fish in them. Later, I realized one of the dishes actually contained chicken. Rather than spitting it out and making a huge fuss, I decided to eat it anyway just out of curiosity on why I have not been eating this for more than 10 years. It was the strangest feeling ever, I could literally feel how heavy/dense it was and the effect it was having on my body. It was like weighing it down! I was getting a headache. I then decided that now that I have tried chicken, I should try some even more hardcore meat: Sorry to say Beef! I took a small piece of beef and started to nibble on it, and it was disgusting and foul. It felt even more heavier than the chicken and I could not make myself eat it. Never again will I touch meat.

Upon reflection I realized that the Guna theory that meat is a tamasic food, meaning it is heavy, dense, inertia inducing and stupefying was correct. I literally felt the heaviness when I consumed it and how much of a detrimental effect it was having on my mind. It makes sense to me now why vegetarianism and spiritual development go hand in hand in scriptures.

Re: Veggie eats meat: Reflections

Quote Originally Posted by Surya Deva View Post
    I have been vegetarian for more than 10 years now for ethical and spiritual reasons. I am not fussy though, I do occasionally eat eggs(though it is not my first preference) and jelly, and I don't mind eating food cooked in the same oil as meat or eating something which has meat on it(but removing the meat) so I am not purely consistent with my reasons for being vegetarian, but for the most part I adhere strongly to vegetarianism.I have contemplated becoming a pescitarian(eating fish) Recently, I went to a buffet and there were very few vegetarian options, so I decided I would eat some fish finally. So I chose a few dishes that appeared to have fish in them. Later, I realized one of the dishes actually contained chicken. Rather than spitting it out and making a huge fuss, I decided to eat it anyway just out of curiosity on why I have not been eating this for more than 10 years. It was the strangest feeling ever, I could literally feel how heavy/dense it was and the effect it was having on my body. It was like weighing it down! I was getting a headache. I then decided that now that I have tried chicken, I should try some even more hardcore meat: Sorry to say Beef! I took a small piece of beef and started to nibble on it, and it was disgusting and foul. It felt even more heavier than the chicken and I could not make myself eat it. Never again will I touch meat.

Upon reflection I realized that the Guna theory that meat is a tamasic food, meaning it is heavy, dense, inertia inducing and stupefying was correct. I literally felt the heaviness when I consumed it and how much of a detrimental effect it was having on my mind. It makes sense to me now why vegetarianism and spiritual development go hand in hand in scriptures.
    Vannakkam: Thanks for sharing this. I've always heard that long time vegetarians get sick when they eat meat, but I never found the desire to check it out experimenting myself. I can remember vomiting up Tofu hot dogs one time though. Just the taste of meat was enough. Being around it even can get to me. I went to a family reunion once where they were turning a pig on a stick. cave man style. I had to go 'hide' in the bushes for awhile. I don't think the carnivores get how disgusting it can be to some of us.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information