Thread: Buddhism and Alexander the butcher

Buddhism and Alexander the butcher

Namaste,

Buddhism owes its current status wholly to Alexander, the Macedonian.

When Alexander decided to terminate his adventures and return home, he appointed one of his generals, Selewcus, as his representative to administer the conquered territory in India's North West in Alexander's name. Due to the chaos that followed, Chadergupt became a king with Pandit Chanakya's help and Selewcus offered his daughter's hand in marriage to keep peace with him. King Ashok, the grandson of Chadergupt is credited with popularizing Buddhism in India and also with sending emissaries overseas as Buddhist missionaries. Without Alexander's invasion of India, there would have been no power vacuum, no King Chandergupt and no Ashok to spread Buddhism. If it was not for him, none of the countries in the Orient (and Sri Lanka) would be Buddhist now and Buddhism would have become extinct long time ago. Therefore Buddhists should worship Alexander as much as they worship Buddha. He caused it to survive and flourish.

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 06 February 2012 at 11:49 PM.

Re: Buddhism and Alexander the butcher

Believer, what do you say is look like all Buddhist is garbage

When some Buddhist doing wrong, you cant blame all whole Buddhist peoples.

I also have meet one Hindu who not respect me, but i dont see it as whole Hindu is like that.

This is samsara , there is some Buddhist who like to drunk, some Buddhist who killing animal, some Buddhist who doing against law etc, but can you tell that is all i am because i am is Buddhist ?

do not petty minded

Acctually Buddhism is have many sect and school who have very different teachings, just like Hindu.

But when one of them hurt others, i cant said whole Hindu or whole Buddhist is like that.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

i feel grateful because i can meet and believe India philosophy Buddhism and Hinduism,

But in Buddhist there is have peoples who harted each other because they have different sect
    But in Hindu, there is have peoples who harted each other because they have different sect

So, what must i do ?
    Destroy my grateful and peace and joined them (to hate each others) ?

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Namaste Shian,

There is no hatred expressed or meant in my post. I am just pointing out that from historical perspective, how Buddhism survived and flourished with the help of King Ashok, who in turn happened to be the result of events coming out of Alexander's invasion of India. It is more of historical domino than anything else. I am sorry that you felt I was trying to be negative about Buddhism. On the contrary, its life blood was provided and its spread to other lands was facilitated by a Hindu King Ashok who converted to Buddhism and made great efforts in spreading it to places beyond India's borders. Just a historical synopsis of the chain of events that led to the gift of Buddhism being made to so many other countries. This would not have happened and so many people would have missed out on learning about it, had it not been for King Ashok's dedication and drive. He is perhaps not very well known outside the borders of India and his contribution to the spread of Buddhism is not fully appreciated. I was trying to bring out the little known fact of his, and ultimately Alexander's indirect contribution to the cause of Buddhism. I am not sure if you were aware of these historical chain of events happening in India before so many people outside of India found and embraced Buddhism.

Peace.

Pranam.

Thank you Believer,

i prefer see Buddhism and Hinduism both is product of India.

Add:

Thank you,

and i am sorry if i have miss understanding

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Thread Information