Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detachment

Detachment

Vannakkam: My sister called this morning to inform me my Aunt passed away, at about 1:30 AM last night. I left the temple at about 1:20 AM. I am not in the least upset about my aunt's passing; she was 95 or so, and ready for it. The timing was 'interesting'.

Over in the Philippines, another loved one, by someone else, also passed. It does not bother me, in the least.

My aunt's death could bother me ..... if I let it, but I'm choosing not to. Why could it? Is it not because of attachment? I knew her. We had shared memories. I could be all over it, tears starting another salt flow. But I look at my aunt's passing as the same as the Philippine stranger's passing. It is as if I didn't know my aunt, and the comparison helps in the detachment ability.

Same with potential experiences ... suppose a good friend's wedding, or a Hindu festival. We get attached to this idea, or to put it better, we allow ourselves, our emotions to get attached to this idea.

Then, the night before, we come down with a nasty illness, a kid gets really sick, religious protocol says we shouldn't go, or some higher calling comes. Still we allow ourselves to be upset.

Mature Hindus don't. They take it all in stride.

Five years ago my Guru was coming to town. Big event ... only happens once every 3 years, maybe less. My Mother-in-Law passed. Protocol (deeper mystical reasons, actually) said we couldn't see Guruji. So we didn't. It didn't bother us. There will another time, another lifetime, another date with destiny.

Just as the losing sporting teams say year after year .... guess we'll just have to wait until next year.

Sorry for the Sivaratri ramble. I'm tired.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 20 February 2012 at 06:38 PM.

Re: Detachment

Namaste,

Sorry about your loss, but your reaction is an example to every Hindu on how to handle such events.

Pranam.

Attachment or not...hmmmm it's all relative to our reasons for being here...or not.

We all have our own ways of dissolving.

Mine?
    Love...until there simply is nothing left.
    Like sugar and lemons into clean water.

I think it is wonderful to become involved with Beloved Portions here.
    But, that's because my time here needed these wonderful children.
    It's the only reason I linger so...

But, about your aunt. With the aged or suffering, I do celebrate. Such a happy thing to watch a Beloved One move on out of this insufferable realm. Birthday parties...have nothing on funerals.
    Dear Beloved Friend, it is a good thing to become very dear and to have very dear ones here.

These closer relationships bring us so close to Beloved. In a way which can not be experienced in any other conditions but this grossly manifested reality. The trick is to remember to whom you are truly talking to, Beloved.

Just today, I was praying to Beloved Shiva and my lil Bitsy Beloved daughter, a Portion so very close to Shiva's Beloved Heart, came to me and smiled. Her hair, lit by Beloved SuryA in such a way I became breathless. You can see Beloved's Hand working great in magnificent ways here. I am breathless in the wonderment.

A thousand moments of joy dwell stored in this fragile Heart...and all of them brought by such Love.

Such a magnificient moment this is Beloved...and it is ours.

A post on attachment would not be complete without an attachment.<3

Last edited by NayaSurya; 20 February 2012 at 01:31 PM.

Vannakkam:

Know when to hold 'em.
    Know when to fold 'em.

It is absolute duty to hold your little loved ones.

Aum Namasivaya

I love that song.

Especially this way-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnrTNFWcsg

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    I love that song.

Especially this way-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNnrTNFWcsg
    Vannakkam: Nice. Boss thought the guy on the bench beside Kenny was most like me.

Aum Namasivaya

EM,

Had a similar experience albeit at a smaller level. Was on a vacation and found that my 1 yr old digi camera which was purchased after much research had lost its focus. I will surely lose some money but found that I was not in the least bit worried.

I am for sure concerned about the loss of loved ones, parents etc. Hope God gives me strength at that time.

Nayasurya,

Beautiful poem of the 2 birds. The philosophy in that poem had been discussed in depth in Mundaka Upanishad of Atharva veda.

Namaste EM,

Death is only a doorway after all, one must pray that the next birth, if required, is an Auspicious one! That your memory's of them are fond, so that you remember them often.

When I lost my Father, a year and a half ago, I had some very strange physical effects happen. I mourned, for all the things we had not done together, yet I know that I have my time in this life, and the next; to learn from and, quite possibly, remake the same mistakes.

praNAma

mana

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vannakkam Mana: Actually I don't remember ... or at least try not to remember much. This subconscious mind in this lifetime is full enough of weird shapes and colours without consciously trying to remember more stuff. I want to clear it out through sadhana, which is different from repression.

Aum Namasivaya

when someone very close passes we do feel guilty ( or may be I must speak for myself and not for ohters) i am not sure why.
    My dad's death many years ago make me go through that even today. Some pang and some guilt. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namaste EM,

Death is only a doorway after all, one must pray that the next birth, if required, is an Auspicious one! That your memory's of them are fond, so that you remember them often.

When I lost my Father, a year and a half ago, I had some very strange physical effects happen. I mourned, for all the things we had not done together, yet I know that I have my time in this life, and the next; to learn from and, quite possibly, remake the same mistakes.

praNAma

mana

Aum Namah Shivaya

Thread Information