Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Detachment

Re: Detachment

Vannakkam: Detachment is just so empowering. Take winning and losing, for example. In athletics, (think cricket, Indians, think hockey, Canadians) in arguments (here on HDF, or elsewhere) in purchasing, in lifestyle, traveling, eating, all the mundane stuff of life, in friendships, relationships, and so much more. Detachment equals joy. The Dalai Lama says that in competition, the only winners are the losers.

Athlete's lives have been threatened by fans because they didn't play well. Can you imagine?

Here on HDF people have left in anger because they lost an argument? If they would have been detached to the results of the 'argument' they'd still be around.

More thoughts.

So what is the root cause of attachment?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

What is the root cause of attachment?

Fear.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

E.M. I am very glad you said these things above. So many gave condolences and I was trying to joke with you. I was feeling happy about your situation as I know what the existence of a 95 year old Portion is like...and it's profoundly harsh for many.

This ongoing topic, detachment:

It depends wether it is healthy attachment such as the type with Loved Ones. Or the sort such as an attachment to a forum or a behaviour. This sort of attachment could be called addiction in certain circles.

These vessels are very interesting. Some, due to our own lessons of karma will be more apt to have problems such as complusive addictions. Even in family liniages there will be many whom become addicted. Such as my own family.

For those sad few, it was only a matter of time. If they drank, it would happen. So for me the solution was so simple...never use.

I must have been ready this time to do so. Or I would not be here talking to you.

Ultimately, when we are ready...we move on. Until we are...we drift in and out...or become very deeply involved...again depending upon the Portion and what is slotted for them to achieve within this life time.

Often, at the heart of unhealthy attachment, is a deeply longing...desire.

One who becomes unhealthily attached to the forum has some deep desire to prove himself? To change others....to convince themself of things still uncertain within themself? Desire to control others? Desire to be heard...to feel in control. To make others hurt, as they are hurting.

I am not sure Joy comes from the act of detachment any more than it can be found within unhealthy attachment.

Ultimate Joy to me, is found inside the Truth.

So she died...and He died...as I held his hand...awesome.

The joy isn't in detaching from that Precious Being. It's from knowing who they are! Knowing they are fine...knowing they can now see you...now know everything!

It's from truly knowing, no matter what foul filthy insufferable acts happen to us within this realm...we can not be harmed.

This ultimate Truth is where Joy dwells!

So you can hold her hand...and sing her a song...and Love with all your heart...every single sunlit day of your life times...

And...perhaps become very attached to each and every One. Love with every particle of your Being...and more.

For the secret lies within the Truth of Our Origin.

With this known, it is far easier to let go.

Beloved, I could die tomorrow...or even this moment right now.

and my hand to Beloved God I tell you...aside from poor timing....

It would be a gift.

I have just let it all go you see. Every day, a gift of time to spend with these precious Portions I deeply Love.

and every day with you all...Beloved...is just as much a Gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Detachment is just so empowering. Take winning and losing, for example. In athletics, (think cricket, Indians, think hockey, Canadians) in arguments (here on HDF, or elsewhere) in purchasing, in lifestyle, traveling, eating, all the mundane stuff of life, in friendships, relationships, and so much more. Detachment equals joy. The Dalai Lama says that in competition, the only winners are the losers.

Athlete's lives have been threatened by fans because they didn't play well. Can you imagine?

Here on HDF people have left in anger because they lost an argument? If they would have been detached to the results of the 'argument' they'd still be around.

More thoughts.

Aum Namasivaya
    Detachment is great. Such a mind that is neither too happy nor too sad on success or failure can attain Moksha when exposed to knowledge. But it is important to understand that detachment does not translate to "giving up". If you are a house holder and are performing duties and you have come across losses it is good to view it with a detached mind and then continue on with duties without giving them up.

Namaste,

... you can attach yourself to being detached,......
    Excellent!

That was one of the things I was trying to convey some time back in the following post, but failed because of poor/improper choice of words on my part.
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=7909

Pranam.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

As I see it...
    paśu is a teathered animal - as ~human~ one is teathered to the senses or attached; Being pati then one is 'lord and master' over the senses, and has the ability to be unattached.

Being unattached one is absorbed in the Self, one's own Being. Then there is Self and non-Self as a personal experience. This is the notion of non-attachment from a personal level. This is not the final resting place, as there is more to unfold in one's development.

Yet the answer or root cause of attachment is the ignorance of one's own essential Being.

praṇām

words
    paśu in its indeclinable form means see, behold.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hari OM

Namaste to everyone,

Thanks Eastern Mind for thread. Wish your Aunt a grand new and continuing journey.

In previous thread not so long ago, detachment was discussed in different way and this thread seems to bring such a vibrant attitude to this. I tried to respond on that thread and did so poorly and probably do so here as well. In reading scripture, I have not seen detachment being a cold thing necessarily, but in losing close ones, more described like dear Naya brings to life,
    "The joy isn't in detaching from that Precious Being. It's from knowing Who they are! Knowing they are fine...
    It's from truly knowing, no matter what foul filthy insufferable acts happen to us within this realm...we can not be harmed."
    It seems as many of who we read about had brief moments of sadness and even tears, until Naya's realization came back to rememberance to them.

Think we are given so much on this path from the great, dealing with those no longer beside us, to the equally great, our daily life. This thread is huge gift tonight. My mom is doing great battle once again (perhaps motivated by what JaiMaaDurga describes) and does not seem to be doing so well with this most recent battle.

For those who say Sanatana Dharma is a selfish path, know that I am at peace because of my understanding, which is a gift, but also because of blessings to this point to my little immature self, veils pulled away more frequently, and able to share more real love with my mom at this time. To go on with detachment, also son and dear wife, understanding of time taken away from them with this.

In application, think detachment, is not so cold but can help bring peace and love and understanding to many.

I add nothing really to thread but really want to say thanks to the VOP (40 years more of posting I think) and each of you who contributed.

Om Shanti

FFTW

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMaaDurga View Post
    Namaste,

Fear.

JAI MATA DI
    Vannakkam: You took the words out of my mouth.

Talked to my sister again today. Turns out Aunt V was 97, not 95 as otherwise stated. Would have been 98 March 1.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

JaiMaaDurga
    Namaste,

Fear.
    Vannakkam: You took the words out of my mouth.
    With your kind permission , let me extend the idea just a bit more.

Attachment is caused by fear , but what then causes fear ? This has been asked before we arrived on this good earth. The answer is found in the bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad ; it says, dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati . Any time there is a sense of 2, fear arises i.e. dvitiyad vai bhayam bhavati - Fear is born of duality.

That is, when I sense there is more then 'me' there is the possiblity of '2' and with that two or more, then there is the notion that fear can arise. Yet if there is only 'me', the universe as an extention of my Self, who then is there to fear when everything is just 'me' ?

praṇām

words
    • Bṛhadaraṇyaka upaniṣad - puruṣavidha-brāhmaṇa, 2nd śloka.
      • dvitiyad or dvitīya द्वितीय - 2nd or two , couple,
      • bhayam or bhaya भय - fear , alarm dread apprehension
        ( rooted in bhī to fear for , be anxious about )
      • vai an emphasis and affirmation , generally placed after a word and laying stress on it (it is usually translatable by 'indeed' , 'truly' , 'certainly' )
      • bhavati or bhava भव arising or produced from , being in
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Friend from the West View Post
    In previous thread not so long ago, detachment was discussed in different way
    Yes it was, indeed. I remember it. I remember saying I have little in the way of attachment in this world, except what I believe has been "assigned" to me as my dharma. That is, but for one human being and several non-human beings, I have nothing to be attached to. And that attachment is to care for them. I would never not perform those duties. The "joke" if you will, is that just when I think my work is done, along comes another being that needs what I can offer. I'll never get out of here!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHH!!!

But I try to think of Lord Krishna's words about having a right to perform our duties, but we have no right to claim their outcome as our own. I like to believe I do what I do with no selfish motives. To that end I consider it detachment, and I strive for it. When I've lost furry friends (rescues that became pets), I grieved and I cried, though not for me, but for them because they suffered. That tells me I'm not as detached as I think I am.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Thread Information