Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Namaste all,

Here is an interesting article about the emergence Indian fast food restaurants in the United States: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/di...ed-tastes.html

It is becoming more and more popular in America, being modeled from well-known American fast food chains and adjusted in a western manner while still representing authentic Indian food for the most part. I like this trend for a couple reasons. Indian food is much healthier than popular western style fast food that many Americans gorge themselves with. That being said, it is important to cook the food in a healthy manner and not resort to the popular fast-food tactic of preparing food in the least-healthy and cheapest manner. A rise in popularity of Indian food will also lead to an increased interest and respect for Indian culture.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

2. Re: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Indian food is much healthier and cheap than popular western style fast food. Amount will go up or down as the place is, the ad banner of Bombay Bowl is showing $3 for chat Tuesday, this is much higher than in India.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Re: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste all,

Here is an interesting article about the emergence Indian fast food restaurants in the United States: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/15/di...ed-tastes.html

It is becoming more and more popular in America, being modeled from well-known American fast food chains and adjusted in a western manner while still representing authentic Indian food for the most part. I like this trend for a couple reasons. Indian food is much healthier than popular western style fast food that many Americans gorge themselves with. That being said, it is important to cook the food in a healthy manner and not resort to the popular fast-food tactic of preparing food in the least-healthy and cheapest manner. A rise in popularity of Indian food will also lead to an increased interest and respect for Indian culture.

Jai Sri Ram
    Vannakam Ramakrishna: Indeed it is much easier to find Indian food, but I am a bit skeptical. They could do away with so much deep fried. Many westerner's first taste is the samosa, and often I wonder about the oil content. I've had samosa that literally drip from the oil. I'd be happier if some chain like PitaPit came up with Indian wraps as the mainstay, staying away from the deep fryer, and the sugar. Still it is a nice start for a trend, and if they can keep it healthy, I'm all for it.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Thanks RK, for the interesting article. Restaurant business is one of the toughest ones, that requires constant attention. So, I would wish good luck to anyone daring to make a foray into it and expanding it with franchises.

The line in the article,

Indian entrepreneurs are now trying to serve the American mainstream, whatever that is, said Dr. Krishnendu Ray, an assistant professor of food studies at New York University.

made me crack up. We have professors with PhD's in food studies in American Universities? That is a sure sign of prosperity.

Pranam.

Namaste

In Paris' Little India quarter, there is my favourite restaurant: "fast Food Indien". It includes many a dish, home made by family, in a very casual & simple decorum. I love going there every time I go to Paris!

The fast food everyone should have around the corner!

HK

Sounds like a great idea. Personally I hate Indian food (yes I know, I'm a bad Indian/ABCD), but I eat it because it's healthy. I'd be all for the proliferation of Indian fast food places for this reason alone. It'd be a halfway decent alternative to the steady diet of Subway I've become accustomed to.

Vannakkam: On a related note .. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-19479013 I'm not sure what I think of corporate America doing this, but I hope it becomes so popular they bring some of that menu here. Traveling can be so hard some days.

Aum Namasivaya

Namast,

McDonald's apparently thinks people have a very short memory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/20/us/for-hindus-and-vegetarians-surprise-in-mcdonald-s-fries.html

Since finding out that I apparently hadn't been vegan during the time I thought I had, I haven't consumed anything in McDonald's, not even coffee. Who knows what they put in it.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namast,

McDonald's apparently thinks people have a very short memory.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/20/us/for-hindus-and-vegetarians-surprise-in-mcdonald-s-fries.html

Since finding out that I apparently hadn't been vegan during the time I thought I had, I haven't consumed anything in McDonald's, not even coffee. Who knows what they put in it.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Vannakkam: Yes, my friends at Hinduism Toady were part of that settlement. I can't remember the figures but it was no small sum. As far as I know, they still haven't changed whats in it, just stopped portraying it as such. Austere vegans and vegetarians have to be pretty aware of fast food places and their veggie burgers. Could well be they're all cooked on the same grill. In earlier days my daughter worked at Pita Pit, and many staff didn't really take vegetarianism that seriously, so there was cross contamination going on, I'm sure.

Aum Namasivaya

Oops! Now I have made the discovery I haven't been vegetarian all this time either since I love McDonald's fries! (No wonder I haven't made much spiritual progress!!)
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Thread Information