Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Re: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    Oops! Now I have made the discovery I haven't been vegetarian all this time either since I love McDonald's fries! (No wonder I haven't made much spiritual progress!!)
    To be honest, Indian fast food is pretty terrible for the health, or at least the ones present in my locality. Most of the Indian fast food places in food courts at malls are generally a very sloppy idea of Punjabi fare, generally loaded with oil; it's enough to see your curry and sabji glisten in the light as you eat them!

Although... dosa houses are the greatest inventions of human food sources!

One of my goals this year is to support vegetarian and vegan restaurants more than anything. I think that I'm very blessed to have a small scene of vegetarian eateries that make a point not to serve animal flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    To be honest, Indian fast food is pretty terrible for the health, or at least the ones present in my locality. Most of the Indian fast food places in food courts at malls are generally a very sloppy idea of Punjabi fare, generally loaded with oil; it's enough to see your curry and sabji glisten in the light as you eat them!
    They are serving a vegetarian Mushroom curry these days at Indian restaurants in USA. Not sure if you've tried them, but they are very good... kinda on the spicy side owing to which they are my favorite. Not sure about the oil used, but Mushrooms are good in proteins so they are 'healthy' in my opinion...

Also, they generally avoid eating daily hotel food in India.. they say hotel/restaurant foods have added 'baking soda' in them, especially in the rice, to give 'quick fullness' to the eater... But other than that, it shouldn't be really bad to eat in Indian restaurants once or twice a week...
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Quote Originally Posted by Aspirant01 View Post
    They are serving a vegetarian Mushroom curry these days at Indian restaurants in USA. Not sure if you've tried them, but they are very good... kinda on the spicy side owing to which they are my favorite. Not sure about the oil used, but Mushrooms are good in proteins so they are 'healthy' in my opinion...

Also, they generally avoid eating daily hotel food in India.. they say hotel/restaurant foods have added 'baking soda' in them, especially in the rice, to give 'quick fullness' to the eater... But other than that, it shouldn't be really bad to eat in Indian restaurants once or twice a week...
    I make mushroom curry/sabjis all the time... Either with brown basmati rice or whole wheat chapatis.

I live in Canada, so I am not very privy to what goes on in the United States. In Canada, our largest Indian diaspora consists of Punjabis, and thus their culinary fare invades what most people think with 'Indian food,' from restaurants to fast food places (such as "Curry Express") in malls.

If I ate at an Indian restaurant once a week, I would get fat! It's way healthier to make Indian food at home than to eat it so regularly as once a week!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaurapriya View Post
    If I ate at an Indian restaurant once a week, I would get fat! It's way healthier to make Indian food at home than to eat it so regularly as once a week!
    (Saves on your pocket too..!)
    jai hanuman gyan gun sagar jai kapis tihu lok ujagar

Exclamation Re: Emergence of Indian Fast Food

Some of these 'Indian Fast Food' are being run by Muslims and sell 'Halal Meat'...
    but will advertise themselves as 'Indian and offer all Indian dishes, but the non-veg is Halal...

Buyer Beware

Although there are many Indians living in Vienna nobody came up with the idea to open an indian fast food Restaurant. This is Something I always wondered about ...
    I would be the first one to go there if they would offer yummy veg food for moderat prices.
    Lets hope that someone will do it in future!
    "... And you will Come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that ' s imagined , all unconceivable. Just let the light touch you, let the words spill through, let them pass right through, bringing out our hope and reason.

We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion

Namaste,

Interesting that this thread came up. I am in the process of starting up a free food distribution programme in my home city. A friend of mine gave me a catering van to use and when the food distribution is set up I will use the van to make and try and make it into a vegetarian/vegan fast food counter, and travel to different places. At the same time give out some simple info on simple living and high thinking, to get a gentle and simple message to look after ones health and soul and spread more awareness on environmental issues. Its not out to prove any point but only to have a good positive identity that people can relate to. Havent even planned it, its just kind of unfolding, I dont have any material ambitions and I will be encouraging more or as many to get involved with something like this, for me its a great prop, and one can do festivals and meet new people. In one festival my friend gave out 15,000 plates of free vegetarian food, and more than 100,000 a year in London as a daily service in London. There is so much interest in this food and a great way to communicate an idea.

Over the past couple years there has been so much more awareness raised about the food industry in general, what goes into food and what happens to food before it ends up in the supermarket, on ones plate and ultimately into the body. So its good to use best ingredients possible, sattva is profit enough, all good things come through sattva.

The problem is lack of choice, many people gain awareness but have no real outlet. Over 400 million less animals were killed last year in America alone last year due to people cutting down, trying to go veggie or vegan, trying to be healthy, weight loss, helpful for meditation and compassion and the rest, so whatever information that came out has had an impact. In UK they want to try to push people be a vegetarian/vegan one day a week, in London on the tubes ( underground rail lines ) they have posters of animals likes cows, chickens and pigs saying we are life too, or something like that, tens of thousands of people are walking past these images and messages everyday.

I really want to encourage people who have time or inclination to reach people through food that now is the time for this type of market, and its growing and I cant think of any negative as a karma yoga to society that is related to giving out and selling or sharing vegetarian/ vegan foods, people understand it more now, many will appreciate that alternative, people are more conscious on what they eat, they understand more the devastating effects in bad choices of food, but have no choice or not enough choices.

Thread Information