Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello!

Re: Hello!

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the information! Kallol and anyone else who wants to answer: Are Christians allowed to enter a Hindu temple? My brother says we aren't according to what his Hindu friend.
    Welcome.

How can anyone look at someone and say that he/she is a Christian? If you are wearing a Burqa, or a large cross symbol, or a Jewish hat a large beard, then yes, someone may stop you and ask you what you want to do in a temple.

In general, when visiting someone else's place of worship, it would be humble and respectful to believers if you simply hid any outward symbol of your religion.

Thank you everyone for the welcomes and the information! Kallol and anyone else who wants to answer: Are Christians allowed to enter a Hindu temple? My brother says we aren't according to what his Hindu friend.
    Depends on the temple - I can't imagine a temple in states would be doing that. If you come to India and try to enter puri jagannatha temple, even without any outer visible sign of christianity or any other religion (a temple situated in the state of orrissa on India's easter coast) - you will be definitely stopped. In most other temples in India you won't be stopped.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

namaskar,
    Christians are definitely allowed in our temples here in Canada.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    Depends on the temple - I can't imagine a temple in states would be doing that.
    Vannakkam: As Satay alluded to, this sure highlights how little Indians understand America, (and vice versa). I will go as far as saying only those who have actually lived in both places have a decent understanding. Some of us who have travelled a little may have a bit of an idea.

I have no idea what might happen if a temple here hung up a sign that said, "No non-Hindus allowed!" I'm guessing it might cause an uproar. But maybe not. Certainly it would offend some Indian Christians I know, most especially those who are in mixed faith marriages of the Hindu-Christian variety.

Aum Namasivaya

in the USA all are welcome in hindu mandirs, that is the OFFICIAL policy. So Bethany just walk in and pleaase follow some minimum requirements like modestly dressed etc, of which i have no doubts you would.
    So there it is get in there and lets hear first hand your experience. Take your brother with you so that he wont spread misinformation any longer.

(Recently in Goa, India some beach goers/ sun bathers walked into a Mandir and were politely told to chnge their attire. Some mandirs in India do resrict access to hindus only. Evengelicals went in and took some images and denigrated them on some weblinks.)

Vannakkam Bethany: Sometimes it may appear that you aren't welcome at first. Hindu temples are open to anyone, but there is no welcoming committee. In a Christian Church, because of the evangelizing mindset, or just a more 'touchy-feely' friendliness in the culture, chances are someone will at least say hello. In a Hindu temple, people go primarily to see God, not people, so you may well feel ignored, if there is no manager's office. Most temples aren't large enough to have greeters, or even hold regular tours or open houses. Hindus in general are shy, not ones to step forward with big handshakes and welcomes.

Priests also have entirely different roles, and aren't involved in outreach. Their job is to take care of the vibration of the temple, primarily through the deities. So just because of these differences, it can appear that you're not welcome. Rest assured that God is glad to see you!

Aum Namasivaya

The answers are all there for you Bethany. Now step out and move into a temple.

Barring some abberations, there is no restriction, till as already pointed out, the respect and humbleness is there.

God's abode is for all and that is what hinduism is all about.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thread Information