Thread: The meaning of DURGA

The meaning of DURGA

Jai Ma !

On March 23 (is Balinese Hindu silent day) i will meditate on Mother Durga, but :
    I still not understand the name Durga
    1. Difficult to access , but Mother is very easy to pleased
    2. Invincible , i also find this meaning, but i dont know which part of Durga (as name) is mean Invincible ...

need some teachings from all HDF brother and sister

Thank you

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Re: The meaning of DURGA

Namaste shian,

Although I am sure others here could do better, I will try to help-
    Perhaps you may have come across the description "Daughter of the mountains, She whose vehicle is a lion" in reference to Devi's form of Maa Parvati as well as Maa Durga.
    Consider that in traditional warfare, the highest ground is always the most preferable when defending a fixed position; this is why ancient fortresses are situated at the peaks of mountains or hills. If the slope is steep, gravity alone will become a mighty ally against any attacker, who must exert themselves to even approach, while nudging a well-placed boulder might be the only effort needed by the defender to utterly crush an attacker.

In this light, Maa is therefore the ultimate "impregnable fortress", She is unassailable, the "one without a second"; it is not that She is "difficult to access" in terms of Her children, but "unreachable" by any who would seek to oppose Her (or presume to know Her mind, as it were).

I could probably talk endlessly about the depth and richness to be found within Maa's various names, forms, etc. ...but in a way, it is like trying to ease another's hunger or thirst by eating and drinking, all the while describing how delicious and nourishing it all is...

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

my understanding is that Durga or Kali is not easy to please as opposed to Shiva. Namaste.

Or maybe i can chant

Her one name, Om Mahesvariyai Svaha

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

What a striking image of our loving Divine Mother! Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMaaDurga View Post
    Namaste shian,

Although I am sure others here could do better, I will try to help-
    Perhaps you may have come across the description "Daughter of the mountains, She whose vehicle is a lion" in reference to Devi's form of Maa Parvati as well as Maa Durga.
    Consider that in traditional warfare, the highest ground is always the most preferable when defending a fixed position; this is why ancient fortresses are situated at the peaks of mountains or hills. If the slope is steep, gravity alone will become a mighty ally against any attacker, who must exert themselves to even approach, while nudging a well-placed boulder might be the only effort needed by the defender to utterly crush an attacker.

In this light, Maa is therefore the ultimate "impregnable fortress", She is unassailable, the "one without a second"; it is not that She is "difficult to access" in terms of Her children, but "unreachable" by any who would seek to oppose Her (or presume to know Her mind, as it were).

I could probably talk endlessly about the depth and richness to be found within Maa's various names, forms, etc. ...but in a way, it is like trying to ease another's hunger or thirst by eating and drinking, all the while describing how delicious and nourishing it all is...

JAI MATA DI
    Om Radha Krishnaya Namaha

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Durgā is durgatināśinī - the beauty of this name is found in durgati + nāśinī . Durgati = misfortune + naś = to drive away, extinguish. Hence durgā is She, durgatināśinī, that drives away ( remove, extinguishes) mis-fortune

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post

On March 23 (is Balinese Hindu silent day) i will meditate on Mother Durga, but :
    Vannakkam Shian: This is off topic, but I just read (in Hinduism Today) about Silent Day. The newest edition Of Hinduism today has a large section on Bali. What a wonderful concept/idea! Too bad our politicians and a few others couldn't follow it.

I'd like to hear more about it. I've done talking fasts. Really quite wonderful experiences.

Aum Namasivaya

Vanakkam,

Thank you Yajvan Ji

E.M , that day i will busy , but i will spend morning to silent and meditate, also in the night after busy.

Yes that is very good ,

Much of Balinese is Shaivite and Siwa Buddha (The merge of Tantra Buddhism and Shaivaism) this is from the ancient time of Hindu kingdom of Indonesia (before Islam kingdom)

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |

Thread Information