Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help for the sinister?

Re: Help for the sinister?

When i read the title of this i immediately think about dastardly dan....so i was all ready for handlebar moustaches!

dastardly-dan.jpg

In my house of 8 children, almost exactly half are left handed, half are right. Every other child is bloodtype 0- too...because of my 0-

Lefty's and 0- what a combo.

So i split the older ones up...half and half. I ask around this house which hand is used in restroom....all lefty's said left...and all righty's said right.

So this whole thing about the left hand being the bathroom hand is kinda wonky...and mostly, from my observations with my community, not correct here.

If you shake the right hand of someone here...you could be shaking a bathroom hand. But, with the extreme cleaning practices over here...i think it is no longer a problem as it may have been in the past. At least here...we have cleaning products to clean the cleaning products.

This all remind me of the reason i became right handed in the 1970's.

My teacher was catholic and right handed but VERY bad handwriting...the worst i ever see on a teacher. i asked her about this because for several months one year, i became almost completely blind from doctors working on my eyes...and could not do work in class so i had to do everything with her helping.

Anyway...she tell me that she was beaten in catholic school for using the left hand...and any time she even went to eat...she was again beaten for using....it got so bad she was physically put into a coat closet for hours...for breaking this rule. Then in desperation they tie her hand behind her back at an excrutiating angle....this broke her.

I say use it<3

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Anyway...she tell me that she was beaten in catholic school for using the left hand...and any time she even went to eat...she was again beaten for using....it got so bad she was physically put into a coat closet for hours...for breaking this rule. Then in desperation they tie her hand behind her back at an excrutiating angle....this broke her.

I say use it<3
    Vannakkam Naya: Glad you mentioned that. Not sure if our Indian friends all know this ... it isn't unique to India, also Europe, and European. Most people of the generation before us had to deal with the very nasty leftyism discrimination.

Aum Namasivaya

I will concede i am the least best person to ask, a true fool when it come to cultural customs. Here, there is little cultural restriction, one can use any hand, walk together any way...it's just a mad jumble...free for all...uncultured mess...no one even takes a moment to worry over these things. i suppose i enjoy that liberation tremendously.

At our local grocery...folks show up in long felt pajama pants and Ambercrombie tee shirts. Or in their "sunday best". My brother in law was so horrified by our lack of dress code. But then, one holiday, he sat in my house and i gave him a book about Scotland and England...as he is from there. He say he will never return. When i ask why, he say "this place you can be who you want...and not have people come up and embarrass you over your jogging pants or how you look."

So i suppose this free for all have advantages, he didn't want to give up so soon.

At the temple we have been told over an over again by the Beloved friend..."women walk to the back...and right of men." So always making Ron move...but he is so slow...he is never in front...and he tell me..."i hate this as i like to have you to my left...and i have no problem with you walking in front or back or sideways...i didn't even know we did this until someone bring it up...i didn't even know others had such lengthy consuming thoughts over the way people should walk in the two minutes of walking you do to get someplace." I say..."Why you worry what others think... this is not important with our relationship with Beloved...just more distraction."

We are who we are...born of this location...and the only thing that will shift that state of being, is removal completely of this identity. We are not wasting another moment thinking about our way of walking together.

So left side it is.

It is rough for us lefties. When doing religious activities I just remind myself to use my right hand, it does help that I'm ambidextrous but my left hand is dominant. My father made all of his children become right handed, but I escaped lol. You just have to get these things in your muscle memory and then your body will automatically do it. Goodluck!

When i read the title of this i immediately think about dastardly dan....so i was all ready for handlebar moustaches!
    Not Simon Bar Sinister!?

śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

We are not wasting another moment thinking about our way of walking together.

So left side it is.
    Vannakkam: I heard somewhere some of this walking business had to do with ancient sense of chivalry ... that the man walked furthest away from buildings so cleaning water thrown out from the second story would hit him instead of her. If we are on a road or a highway, I will walk closest to the road, because Ganga has the .. err .. navigational problem of meandering into the road. Not safe in India, or in Hawaii where the roadways are narrow, and traffic is fast. I've saved her life a few times, or so she says. Other than this safety issue, we pay no attention to it. At school, it always bothered me that students were taught to walk behind their teachers. So if I was walking with one of them, almost insisted they walk beside me. it seemed like a better sense of teamwork, with less silly hierarchy silliness thing. I think my students enjoyed that. Some days I would switch desks with one of them. They'd do some their work on mine, and mine in theirs.

We're all embodied jivas in this together.

At out temple we sit 90% men on right, women on left, but its not hard and fast. There is no evil man standing guard with a whip and chains yelling at us. There is something to be said about training yourself into ambidextrousness though. It comes in handy when injured, for example. Also in athletics, like basketball. Defenders soon know if you can only dribble in one direction.

Aum Namasivaya

Well, as you know, Beloved Ron have Aspergers...and he's a very pensive stepper. Always has to sleep on right side of bed...always has to have certain things. It's been good coping mechanism...and i concede to it every time.

What is good for gander...is good for goose also.

Now with this being said...i am like dee dee from Dexter's lab(cartoon).

I am just so happy to be here...i am all over the place. I do not have problems with coping...i am in Love with this beautiful experience in nature!

So i am doing circles around Beloved Ron...and smelling flowers...feeding birds.

Poor Beloved, it must be hard with girl running foolish everywhere. This conversation remind me to be more still...and not make so many deviations always.

and TBTL, I was thinking more moustache...less bad guy.

namaskar,
    That's nasty! Poor Child.
    My daughter is left handed. I can't imagine anyone doing that to my daughter. Their head will be chopped off.

I say use it<3
    satay

Something occurred to me... I've seen photos of the temple services where the priests hold the bells in their left hands. I have to look more closely at other photos.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Something occurred to me... I've seen photos of the temple services where the priests hold the bells in their left hands. I have to look more closely at other photos.
    Vannakkam: Yes, it is pretty difficult to wave the aarti lamp and ring a bell with the same hand. Same thing at home for home pujas.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information