Thread: Navaratri question

Navaratri question

Not sure if I'm putting this thread in the correct place?

Anyway, I have a question about the difference between Navaratri and Rama Navami.

My Ashram celebrates Navaratri in the spring and in the fall for nine days.

But my temple celebrates Rama Navami in the spring and Navaratri in the fall.

I'm new to my temple, I have only gone there for a little over a year... actually almost two now...but I thought Navaratri was celebrated twice a year (sometimes four times a year, winter and summer as well)

I would love if if someone can explain this.

Maya

Re: Navaratri question

http://www.onlyhinduism.com/

will give u more sites as i come across . Iam sure lot has already been discussed about both the festivals here somewhere. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Not sure if I'm putting this thread in the correct place?

Anyway, I have a question about the difference between Navaratri and Rama Navami.

My Ashram celebrates Navaratri in the spring and in the fall for nine days.

But my temple celebrates Rama Navami in the spring and Navaratri in the fall.

I'm new to my temple, I have only gone there for a little over a year... actually almost two now...but I thought Navaratri was celebrated twice a year (sometimes four times a year, winter and summer as well)

I would love if if someone can explain this.

Maya

3. Re: Navaratri question

Navratri is actually for worshipping nine forms of Durga, it comes twice in a year in the lunar months of Chaitra and Ashwin. Sri Ram was born on the ninth day of Chaitra, so it is also celebrated as birthday of Sri Ram, Ram Navmi.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    Navratri is actually for worshipping nine forms of Durga, it comes twice in a year in the lunar months of Chaitra and Ashwin. Sri Ram was born on the ninth day of Chaitra, so it is also celebrated as birthday of Sri Ram, Ram Navmi.
    Right, I remember that now. But then the Navaratri celebrations should come first and then on the 9th day you celebrate Sri Rams birthday?

Or do some temples skip the spring Navaratri celebration and only do the birthday on the ninth day?

I'm not sure what my temple will do yet, they have only mentioned Ram Navmi so far.

Maya

5. Re: Navaratri question

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Right, I remember that now. But then the Navaratri celebrations should come first and then on the 9th day you celebrate Sri Rams birthday?

Or do some temples skip the spring Navaratri celebration and only do the birthday on the ninth day?

I'm not sure what my temple will do yet, they have only mentioned Ram Navmi so far.

Maya
    Durgashtmi is now celebrated as the main festival of Navratri, most Hindus celebrate Navmi as Birthday of Sri Ram, but most temples celebrate Navmi and Ram Navmi as together.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thanks,

I will keep you posted when they post the schedule.

Maya

Thread Information