Thread: Special Mantras

Special Mantras

Namaste all!

Sooo we've been having relatively crappy weather, and I was wondering if anyone knew any mantras that might influence the weather in a good way. I thought of looking up some Prayers for Indra for this...but I didn't find any, and I was wondering if any of you knew anything.

Dhanyavadah!!
    Jai Maa Durga

Re: Special Mantras

Hari Om!

What a great day to recite the Hanuman Chalisa! Let the Son of the Wind God blow in refreshing weather your way.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Vannakkam: What exactly is good weather? It may just be a situation of perspective. I know this because of a childhood on a farm. Father danced when it rained. He would meet other farmers in town and they would rejoice together! Only later in life when I met with folks who like to golf did I learn that rain was a spoiler to their game. Little did they understand where food comes from.

Many here where I live thought it was a 'good' winter. Not much snow to shovel, and warm weather. This could well be the beginnings of a drought. Last year the snow was more than in 20 years, and the people complained about their sore backs, and that the city's extra expense on snow removal could lead to higher taxes. I rejoiced ... old habits in tune with nature die hard.

Aum Namasivaya

I'd like some mantras for telekinesis, so I could throw huge rocks at my opponents. That would be awesome!

Namasté,

I thought of looking up some Prayers for Indra for this...but I didn't find any, and I was wondering if any of you knew anything.

I am guessing/remembering that 'good weather' for you would involve some coolness and rainfall - hence the question about Indra?

Play recordings of the Raga Megha. A lovely one is here, and even better, there is a shorter version here with rain in the background - a recording of a downpour that came with the music. Occasionally I will play this and burn a good rain incense - both as prayer for rain and as thanks for it.

All of the Indra prayers/mantras I have so far are here; probably the most appropriate one of these for rain would be oṁ laṁ indrāya namaḥ. Another possibility, from Indra's sahasranāma, is oṁ nimeghamānāye namaḥ (translating to something akin to 'showering down' or 'sending down the rain'). Other rain-related names of his are Ambudeśvara and Meghavāhana (with meanings akin to 'rain-lord' and 'cloud-rider,' respectively).

A brief suggestion relating to chanting and rain-invocation may also be found here.

Homa is a wonderful ritual, which is also helpful in times of drought. If you want instructions for this, I can provide, just let me know.

I will provide a bit of caution based on past experience: be very, very specific about what you wish for...

And, of course, if your definition of "good weather" has nothing to do with rain, then disregard this entire post.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.
    Last edited by Arjuni; 17 March 2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Edited for slight mistake.

Namaste

By good weather I meant sun shinny and warm weather lol. I thought I'd pray to Indra, because he's the Got of Weather...or maybe not? Lol. But maybe a prayer and singing the Hanuman Chalisa would be good (thanks c. smith)...But sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Jai Maa Durga

Namaste

The Vedas site Sakadhûma as being named king by the stars; bringing good weather.

Atharva veda VI, 128. Propitiation of the weather-prophet.

1. When the stars made Sakadhûma their king they bestowed good weather upon him: 'This shall be his dominion,' they said.
    2. Let us have good weather at noon, good weather at eve, good weather in the early morning, good weather in the niyht
    3. For day and night, for the stars, for sun and moon, and for us prepare good weather, O king Sakadhûma!
    4. To thee, O Sakadhûma, ruler of the stars, that gavest us good weather in the evening in the night, and by day, let there ever be obeisance!
    It would be nice to see and read the Sanskrit; the source from which this came, has only this old English translation, I am not sure of its validity. Best keep to the Sanskrit!

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 18 March 2012 at 11:57 AM.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Good weather is that which meets the needs at the right time and right place. For the golfer it is sun, for the farmer it is proper rain.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast

Good weather is that which meets the needs at the right time and right place. For the golfer it is sun, for the farmer it is proper rain.

praṇām
    Vannakkam: Golfers don't eat?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Interesting thread. I believe that "good" weather is that weather which is best for our earth, which in turn is best for us. The earth goes through a wonderful cycle of seasons which harmoniously creates a flourishing environment. Snow is great in the winter, plentiful sunshine is great for summertime crops to bask in, and of course rainfall is vitally necessary especially in the spring for new life to blissfully sprout. I have always enjoyed rain, especially in the spring. It is just so wonderful when looked at from the proper perspective. It is only due to human "convenience" (which is essentially ignorance) that rain is conceived of as a bad thing and snowfall as a nuisance.

Of course moderation in all of these is ideal, but due to centuries of human neglect and destruction to the earth, we are seeing radical alterations and extremes in the climate. I believe that living an environmentally sustainable life and showing respect and reverence for the earth as well as prayer are the best things that we can do. Of course Indra is a good deity for these matters, and Indraneela has provided great resources. And as c. smith said, Lord Hanuman is also great. I think it was last year or the year before that Trinidad had a bad drought and Hindus in that country prayed en masse to Lord Hanuman for rain. There was abundant rainfall soon after.

Jai Bajrang Bali!
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information