Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indian Americans: Watch out for Rick Santorum!

Indian Americans: Watch out for Rick Santorum!

So I'm usually about as politically active as other Indian Americans (which, unfortunately, is not at all). When religious conservative candidates make comments about their beliefs, I usually fail to recognize that by "religious" they mean Christian. This, however, goes too far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=B2emBxDOY7g

For those who don't want to watch the video, Republican Presidential nominee Rick Santorum is being endorsed by an evangelical pastor. The pastor begins with a soliloquy about how those who dissent to the "American Way" can get out. And he specifies the American Way: we do not worship Buddha, Allah, or Mohammad. I do find it a bit humorous since no one worships Buddha or Mohammad, and since Allah is Arabic for God. But let's get serious here; the only reason he didn't mention Lord Vishnu or Lord Shiva is because Indian Americans like me are so politically inactive that no one even knows we live in this country.

OK, I know that politicians don't necessarily assent to every word spoken by the pastors who endorse them (e.g. President Obama's pastor who said "God damn America"). But if this guy had made a similar statement about Judaism, the Anti-Defamation League would have utterly destroyed his career and seen to it that Santorum never win the nomination unless he disavows him. But of course, Indian Americans are politically complacent because our parents from India taught us that getting a 4.0 and becoming a doctor or engineer (but preferably doctor) is the only thing that matters in life.

I hope what Mom and Dad taught me is true, because if this guy gets elected, then our kids are all going to be Christians. And I don't mean that we'll send them to college where evangelicals will make friends with them, subtly convince them that they're going to hell for being Hindu, and get them to convert. As per this pastor's directive, some government task force will march into Hindu temples and give us all the choice of baptism or deportation. But as long as the kids are doing well in school it's OK, right?

As some of you might know, I detest the Indian apathy for politics and the arts, and this is why. For some reason our Jewish friends are untouchable by politicians and the media, yet despite our similar economic power we are not. Jews dominate every aspect of American culture, yet that sort of influence has thus far eluded our community. In appealing to the "God of Abraham," this pastor echewed any connection to anti-semitism, but he had no trouble assailing the Indian religious figure Gautama Buddha. This is because Indians are idiots with respect to affairs of state; we're so busy doing our homework that we ignore cultural figures who have the ability to negatively affect our lives. This is why the Indian American agenda is irrelevant to American politicians, and I'm willing to bet it's why the Indian government is defunct.

Being an idiot, I don't know if it's in our best interest for Santorum to lose the nomination outright, or for him to win it so as to present Obama with a weaker challenge in the general election. And being no better than the average Indian American, I won't hypocritically implore you all to go out and donate to HAF, lobby to have Santorum thrown out of office, or, God forbid, run for office yourself (though it'd be nice if you did). However, if you are an Indian or a Western Hindu and an American citizen, I will urge you to put down the math textbook for a few minutes to go out and actually vote. It's a simple thing that you can do in a few minutes before your circuit design exam, and in a polarized political climate such as this, just a few people failing to vote can easily sway an election. These Christians have no problem "voting God," whatever that means. Well, if we don't likewise vote in favor of the Indian American agenda, some pastor like this is going to burn down all our temples and shove ground beef hamburgers down our throats. Then it won't matter if your kid got into med school, because he'll be thrown out of the country before he has a chance to start classes next fall.

Sorry for my angry rant, I promise to behave myself better in future posts.

Re: Indian Americans: Watch out for Rick Santorum!

Namast,

There is no need to apologise; inaction is a choice of its own and, in this upcoming election, not a good choice.

In case anyone else on the forum is in my situation: American citizens living outside of the country may register and receive an absentee ballot here. I just went through their process and got all of the necessary forms completed in less than five minutes.

Thank you for the timely and needed reminder.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

We hear about the religious fundamental nutcases because they get the most press. They are, however, a small minority of American voters. Don't sell the average American short. We're not all idiots, but we know one when we see one.

Most Americans are more concerned about keeping their jobs, homes, and food on the table than they are about an unequivocal idiot like Santorum; he's a clown and people know it.

Santorum can bluster on all he wants about religion but remember that the POTUS does not make or enforce laws. That's if he even gets to the primaries. All his religious blustering is simply his right under the First Amendment to free speech and the right to practice his religion, as it's my right to keep icons of the deities on my desk at work.

George W. Bush, as president, was pushing his "faith-based initiatives", and what happened to that? Fizzled out like wet birthday candles.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

It is the bad economy, not god, that is presently sidingwith the republicans, who knows they might as well win the November election.Rick will be able to outshine Romney until the very finals and may win thenomination. But no worries. The media will rip him apart once he becomes the candidate, and in worst case scenario if he gets elected it will be a jamboree timefor media and most of us alike. Gloves will be off then, he will be made a butt of jokes for the entire length of his washington stay. More than hindus and others, I am seriously worried about the women’s rights that are taking a serious beating in recent years, conservative mullahs now make women look like second class citizens. At least constitutionally European and many Asian women enjoy greater freedom with their choices. The de facto leader Rush is pro-god but remains anti-poor, what an irony, looks like the conservatives chose Kubera their god, leaving shiva the pauper or Krishna the cowherd on the sidelines.

Yes hindus here in the USA or in Europe are not that active in public life, unlike their muslim counterparts who get radical by drawing inspiration from their mullahs. The second and later generation immigrant hindus are somewhat more vocal as I see it. HAF took birth as a result and Washington took note of it rather quickly. A few sensible men and women are running the small organization, and they need people like you (2nd generation) and the Caucasian hindus alike to boost their morale and strengthen their hands. The first generation hindus will remain dormant as a rule.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    We hear about the religious fundamental nutcases because they get the most press. They are, however, a small minority of American voters. Don't sell the average American short. We're not all idiots, but we know one when we see one.
    Heh, well actually I only said that Indians are idiots. Haven't said anything about you guys. Or am I American too? I've never been sure about that one. I suppose I exemplify the American Born Confused Desi.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Most Americans are more concerned about keeping their jobs, homes, and food on the table than they are about an unequivocal idiot like Santorum; he's a clown and people know it.

Santorum can bluster on all he wants about religion but remember that the POTUS does not make or enforce laws. That's if he even gets to the primaries. All his religious blustering is simply his right under the First Amendment to free speech and the right to practice his religion, as it's my right to keep icons of the deities on my desk at work.

George W. Bush, as president, was pushing his "faith-based initiatives", and what happened to that? Fizzled out like wet birthday candles.
    Just a clarification here: the president does enforce laws; that's part of his constitutional obligation. True he doesn't make laws, but of course he can push his agenda in Congress through friendly representatives, and in the Supreme Court through the solicitor general.

Otherwise, I would hope that you're correct. But let's look at the numbers here. According to the latest delegate count, the Mormon has 521 delegates and Santorum has 253. People are voting for him. I think a large segment of Americans do care about jobs, the economy, etc. But at least 253 delegates worth of people apparently care about the social issues, one of which is forcibly converting Hindus.

I wouldn't call this stupid, but it is an extremist religious agenda akin to Islam. This just goes to show that Christianity is not a form of "family values." Christianity ought to be put on the list of things to keep your kids away from, right next to drugs and rock 'n roll. I think it's important that the Hindu community start to regard Christianity as such.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Just a clarification here: the president does enforce laws; that's part of his constitutional obligation. True he doesn't make laws, but of course he can push his agenda in Congress through friendly representatives, and in the Supreme Court through the solicitor general.
    He can persuade Congress to pass a bill, but he cannot force them. Especially when long time members of Congress know that similar bills don't pass, or that the Supreme Court will strike them down. The Supreme Court answers only to itself, which can strike down any law passed by Congress and signed by the president which is unconstitutional. And there is plenty of case law showing that.

Any law based on religion will most likely die in the House or Senate, if anyone is stupid enough to even attempt it. The Federal Marriage Amendment proposal from the Colorado congresswoman, which at its core was religion based, was beaten down twice by Congress itself.

Of course this sort of thing is dangerous. It's dangerous to everyone. I think in time, hopefully sooner rather than later to quote G.H.W Bush, this religious silliness will go away and idiots like Santorum will be run off into the woods with tail between legs.

“ George W. Bush, as president, was pushinghis "faith-based initiatives", and what happened to that? Fizzled outlike wet birthday candles “

Wasn’t he who signed a law that allows religious organizations to draw funding from federal and state budgets. Before him there was a restriction that such of those organizations that get funding should not display any overt or covert religious agenda, and thanks to him, now you could put a banner of ‘the savior ‘right on the building front and still you get state funding. I do remember some journos raising serious objection at that time, but the bill was signed into a law nevertheles. So therefore one cant take the man in WH lightly Im afraid,especially a religious nut at that.

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Wasnt he who signed a law that allows religious organizations to draw funding from federal and state budgets.
    I do remember that. I have to look up the outcome. Stay tuned.

I found this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_H...d_Partnerships

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_H..._organizations

Faith-based organizations are eligible to participate in federally administered social service programs to the same degree as any other group, although certain restrictions on FBOs that accept government funding have been created by the White House to protect separation of church and state.
    • They may not use direct government funds to support inherently religious activities such as prayer, worship, religious instruction, or proselytization.
    • Any inherently religious activities that the organizations may offer must be offered separately in time or location from services that receive federal assistance.
    • FBOs cannot discriminate on the basis of religion when providing services (GAO 2006:13[3]).

namaste,
    I find that all of those candidates in the race are scary, especially for minorities. I only someone like one candiate... ron paul. He seems a bit reasonable.
    satay

Namaste all,

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,
    I find that all of those candidates in the race are scary, especially for minorities. I only someone like one candiate... ron paul. He seems a bit reasonable.
    I also find Ron Paul to be a bit reasonable, as he makes a lot of sense on foreign policy and the "War on Drugs". That being said, he does want to pretty much abolish the federal government, deregulate everything, and abolish taxes. He is very far out there but does have a prominent "cult following". Of course he has no chance of actually winning and is mainly just running to spread his ideology.

Regarding the OP, I completely agree. It would be very nice to have prominent HINDU American politicians, especially considering that the two most prominent Indian-American politicians (Jindal and Haley) are Christians.

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information