Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Indian Americans: Watch out for Rick Santorum!

Re: Indian Americans: Watch out for Rick Santorum!

As a racial minority and religious minority this scares me. I'm not reassured by the belief that this is a small group of Americans who follow him. Unfortunately when people here someone talking about how they'll just make America perfect a lot of people listen and believe in that, because a lot of people don't know how America's government works. I really don't like Santorum and I hope he goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Sorry for my angry rant, I promise to behave myself better in future posts.
    I like to read your passionate post.

But personally I will never vote again. I am not an American and live in the Netherlands, we have 12 different political parties. There is even a party for the animals, but voting doesn't make any difference. The government will screw us over regardless of who gets voted. That time wasted to vote, I would rather spend with my math book.

Voting is mandatory here in Brazil, so the ignorant poor can elect thieves to the government.

Because of religious diversity we don't have that much of a issue here, only stupid evangelical politicians talking about converting gays and things like this.

But in America this "christian" ignorance should be countered. I wonder if people don't realize that Christ himself was a man who went against the political odds and dogmas of its time. People are really dumb.

Vannakkam: When it comes to observing politicians, or hearing about them, another side of me often comes out.

Whether we like it or not, somebody has to run the countries. Who amongst the critics is willing to let their name stand for office? Not me, that's for sure. My skin is nowhere near thick enough. So if I'm not willing to do that job, do I still have the right to criticize it?

Our temple is run by a five member volunteer committee, called The Board, and all too often with disdain. I respond to the complaining, "So I presume you will let your name stand for office next year." Of course, the bigger the critic, the hastier the retreat from the conversation.

Still its a microcosm for the macrocosm of a country.

I find the system flawed in several ways. Firstly, its no true democracy when only the rich or the corrupt or the crooked men and women amongst us have any chance of getting elected. Besides that, because its such a dog eat dog world in politics, a constant barrage of judgment one way or the other, overly complimentary or overly critical, only a certain personality type can enter the arena, let alone live it.

Another flaw is the total lack of power of any individual to affect change. You may have the brightest ideas in the world, but other egos and personalities disable ideas, just because they come from someone else.

Yet another flaw is rep by pop. Look up gerrymandering to see that one. If a referendum is held, technically 51% can rule over the 49% minority. Is this fair? Hardly.

Rant on ... sorry for the disruption.

BTW, we are not immune in Canada. Our version of the Republicans is going through a scandal unscathed so far, where they actually had a company calling voters known to be not supporting them, during the last election, to falsely tell them the polling station had been moved, effectively disabling democracy altogether. Sounds unbelievable? http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...bocall-scandal

Aum Namasivaya

Some of our politicians would benefit from the treatment cited below. Most Indian politicians would straight away make the cut, insured or not, and no waiting list for them guys, just walk in !!

'' Dutch church castrated sex abuse victims’

New York Times : Brussels, Thu Mar 22 2012, 00:33 hrs
    A young man in the care of the Roman Catholic Church in the Netherlands was surgically castrated decades ago after complaining about sexual abuse, according to new evidence that only adds to the scandal engulfing the church there.
    The case, which dates from the 1950s comes amid suspicions that as many as 10 young men may have suffered the same fate.
    “This case is especially painful because it concerns a victim who was victimised for a second time,” said Peter Nissen, a professor of the history of religion at Radboud University in the Netherlands.
    It is unclear, however, whether the reported castration was performed as a punishment for whistle-blowing or what was seen as a treatment for homosexuality.
    In 2010, about 2,000 people complained of abuse by priests, church institutions or religious orders in the Netherlands after the Roman Catholic Church commissioned an inquiry. It finally concluded the number of victims could be 10 times higher.
    That committee, led by Wim Deetman, a former education minister, was presented with evidence of the castration case when it was contacted by a friend of the young man, who was castrated in 1956, two years before his death in a road accident.
    The victim, Henk Heithuis, lived in Catholic institutions from infancy after being taken into care. When he complained about sexual abuse to the police, Heithuis, 20 then, was transferred to a Catholic psychiatric hospital before being admitted to the St. Joseph Hospital in Veghel, where he was castrated.
    Cornelius Rogge, a friend of Heithuis, informed the Deetman Commission, contacting an investigative journalist, Joep Dohmen, when there was no clear follow-up. “He was strapped to a bed,” Rogge said. “In one stroke, his scrotum was cut out. Then he was taken to an infirmary to rest and recover. Then the other boys received the same treatment. He could hear them screaming.”
    Dohmen, the investigative journalist who broke the news in the daily NRC Handelsblad, said that correspondence from the 1950s and Heithuis’s testimony to Rogge suggested that there could have been nine other cases. Dohmen said he uncovered another case. A gay man, not abused, was also castrated. Dohmen said the man accused of abusing Heithuis was probed but not prosecuted. He was transferred to Nova Scotia, where he started a home for boys.

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    But personally I will never vote again. ... The government will screw us over regardless of who gets voted.
    Namaste.

I have had the exact same thoughts run through my mind. I know it's an American's constitutional right and duty (duty, so "they" say) to vote, but it's often true that no matter whom you vote for, something will go wrong. Sometimes it goes right. It's the luck of the draw. We've had good and bad presidents and legislators from both sides of the aisle. They say a vote not cast is a vote for the other guy, but I'm really not sure what I will do in November.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Politics is a very dirty game. In India when the BJP was elected they betrayed their Hindu following and followed the steps of congress. That's why they lost popularity.

If I was in America, I would still vote, because Rick Santorum's fundamental Christian attitute is simply scary. In the Netherlands, if a Christian party (like the Christian democrats) would be selected here, that would not be the end of the world.

Well, that's true when you have an extremist like Santorum. I think I'd vote for anyone but him. However, he's really only garnering the bible belt states, which do not have a large number of delegates. The technological and educated, and liberal northeast and middle Atlantic states, and California won't go for him. I don't think he will make it to the primaries; I certainly hope not. He's a nutjob.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    He's a nutjob.
    He is an opus-dei member . No seriously!
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    He is an opus-dei member . No seriously!
    Yep, I told someone else that.

Thread Information