Thread: Do we have free will in the spirit world?

Do we have free will in the spirit world?

Peace!

Re: Do we have free will in the spirit world?

The will - free or not depends on the body in which the minds (I hope you meant that) resides.

Only at the level of human, the will is free to choose. This is by default design evolution.

Below that though bodies might be there the brain is not evolved to have the situation to choose.

Above the human there are no bodies - so no choice and no free will.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Quote Originally Posted by AstralProjectee View Post

Peace!
    Any being which has a body must be having some free will, no? what else is the body for? Now I don't know if we classify spirits as having bodies or not having bodies. The disembodied beings who lack a physical body still has other bodies. They sure have desire which is basically same as will. They may or may not have the right agency to actualize that will. If the spirit body is no good for its desires, I am sure it will find itself a new body.

So in short Yes, I think.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Vannakkam: I would agree with SM. The physical body isn't the only body. Of course, those people who only believe in the Physical body would disagree. Sometimes we forget.

We have an intellectual body, an astral body, and a soul body.

I know a young somewhat mystically inclined young man, whose father is a hard case alcoholic. My friend can 'see' things sometimes. Once he saw an ugly monster, something like a dragon, clinging to his father's back. These lower beings are generally disembodied souls working out their desires through embodied souls.

In the 'in between birth' periods, we go through, I think we have choices. Why would we pray for a certain life next lifetime, if we didn't have choices about it? Our prayers would be all for naught.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I would agree with SM. The physical body isn't the only body. Of course, those people who only believe in the Physical body would disagree. Sometimes we forget.

We have an intellectual body, an astral body, and a soul body.

I know a young somewhat mystically inclined young man, whose father is a hard case alcoholic. My friend can 'see' things sometimes. Once he saw an ugly monster, something like a dragon, clinging to his father's back. These lower beings are generally disembodied souls working out their desires through embodied souls.

In the 'in between birth' periods, we go through, I think we have choices. Why would we pray for a certain life next lifetime, if we didn't have choices about it? Our prayers would be all for naught.

Aum Namasivaya
    I am exteremely sorry to let slip such non statement. It should have been upper lokas have bodies which our five senses cannot sense.

Again the free will is maximum is case of human. That is why the human birth is so important as it has the power to change the state of mind. This is possible only if there is a possibility to choose.

Other lokas are mostly (not fully) births as enjoying or going through hell as fruits of karma.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

namaste everyone.

Following the advaita teaching, I would think of free-will as (the ability to create) present karma and destiny as past karma (karma created in the past using the then free-will). Thus the question is essentially whether we as jIvAtmas create present karma during our afterlife.

• We as jIvAtmas have five koshas--sheaths, and three sharIras--bodies, according to the Hindu teaching. This would mean that our physical brain, as an agent and channel of free-will has its counterparts in the other koshas/sharIras.

• As SM and EM have pointed out, we never cease to have and express desires, even in our dreams. This means that we might create present karma in our dreams too, although dreams are mainly channels of experiencing our past karma and unfulfilled desires. Thus, in all our states of existence where we have a life of action, we might be creating and experiencing karmas, which indicates the presence of free-will.

• As SM and EM have pointed out, since disembodied souls lack a physical body to experience the pleasures and sensations of their worldly desires, such souls are sometimes clairvoyantly seen to haunt the scenes where they can derive vicarious fulfilment of their obssessive desires.

• For ordinary souls like us, with no obsessive desires, time of astral life could only be much short, as we would gravitate to the heavens by the force of our good karma and experience its fruits there. Any negative karma that is still outstanding, will be experienced in our new bodies in new births.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thanks everyone for your reply I read somewhere that (I think it was Hindus) believe that we don't have free will in the astral or spirit world. I'm not sure on this.

Peace!

Thread Information