Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Don't Want Another Life

I Don't Want Another Life

I have just begun my spiritual journey in Sanatana Dharma, and when the ship was sailed, I didn't realize how much there was to it. It seems overwhelming going at this alone with no help other than from this site,(which I am Extremely exited about having stumbled upon ), and I'm too shy (and socially awkward) to go up to people around where I live and ask, "Hey, are you Hindu?" I'm not giving up, but I wondered how much one needs to know before reaching Moksha, because I feel I'm ready for it, and really hope I can get there at the end of this lifetime.

Re: I Don't Want Another Life

Namaste Leena,

We all are your friends here on the same spiritual journey and with similar motives. Welcome to the forums !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste Leena,

Sanatana Dharma can seem overwhelming even when living with and being around other Hindus. It is just such a vastly beautiful way of life. That is unfortunate that there are no Hindu temples around where you live, but the world wide web and this forum can provide a wonderful virtual satsang. Another thing is that although the fruits of a flourishing community of Hindus cannot be overstated, it is important to realize that Santana Dharma is ultimately an exquisite and highly individualized inward journey of discovering your true Self. It is an inner and personal voyage above all.

Also, if you feel that you are ready for moksha than you are not. As EMji points out, there is reincarnation and it does take many many lives to complete our journey in Sanatana Dharma and fully realize the Ultimate Reality which underlies all existence. We should all go at our own individualized paces. The main thing is to make the most of this human birth and achieve some progress. May Maha Ganapati guide you ever deeper into Sanatana Dharma.

Jai Sri Ganesh
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Quote Originally Posted by Leena View Post
    I have just begun my spiritual journey in Sanatana Dharma, and when the ship was sailed, I didn't realize how much there was to it. It seems overwhelming going at this alone with no help other than from this site,(which I am Extremely exited about having stumbled upon ), and I'm too shy (and socially awkward) to go up to people around where I live and ask, "Hey, are you Hindu?" I'm not giving up, but I wondered how much one needs to know before reaching Moksha, because I feel I'm ready for it, and really hope I can get there at the end of this lifetime.
    Vannakkam: Yes it takes a long time, and its overwhelming at first. I think the contrast to the simplicity of of some western faiths makes it seem even more daunting. In Indiana, you're not all that far from some temples. I know here in western Canada many people will drive 3 or 4 hours just to be in one. Most larger cities have one or two or more. The one day pilgrims are mostly the immigrants though who have it fully ingrained in their subconscious minds the importance of temple worship.

As for the last question, looking at it intellectually your sense of 'what one needs to know' may be faulty. I'm not quite sure what you mean. In terms of pure intellectual knowledge, the question could well be, 'how little does one need to know', not how much. Moksha is outside of any intellectual process.

Best wishes on the path.

Aum Namasivaya

Leena, Welcome. If you look at the scriptural teachings, they seem to be simple to understand. However the real beauty of these is borne out by practicing them in real life situations. Only then one really appreciates why something which seems so easy to comprehend may not be easy to practice. As some wise man has said.. the indicator of judging the spiritual advancement of a person is by deeply observing him in trying/difficult situations. In my view this is the goal that one should have. Moksha , to me, is something that "happens" by God's grace.

All of you have helped me to realize that I am only wanting Moksha but am not quite there yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Yes it takes a long time, and its overwhelming at first. I think the contrast to the simplicity of of some western faiths makes it seem even more daunting. In Indiana, you're not all that far from some temples. I know here in western Canada many people will drive 3 or 4 hours just to be in one. Most larger cities have one or two or more. The one day pilgrims are mostly the immigrants though who have it fully ingrained in their subconscious minds the importance of temple worship.

As for the last question, looking at it intellectually your sense of 'what one needs to know' may be faulty. I'm not quite sure what you mean. In terms of pure intellectual knowledge, the question could well be, 'how little does one need to know', not how much. Moksha is outside of any intellectual process.

Best wishes on the path.

Aum Namasivaya
    I googled temple locations in my area and found a couple that are around a 90 minute to 2 hour drive. I just have an issue of getting there due to lack of owning a car, and another issue of someone being able to take me and our schedules coordinating with the Temple open times. I hope to visit one sometime before this body dies.

After reading my post again, I can see that I vague with the 'how much does one need to know', deeply sorry for that, but you did answer it. Thanks!

Hello Leena:

User devotee [if I remember right] made a beautiful post once in which he related a story of 2 devotees yearning for moksha both engaged in dharmic actions and bhakti.

One of them gets to know that he will get moksha after 1 more birth. This person is morose for the rest of his lifetime that he has to go through yet another birth. He does not attain moksha after that birth.

The second gets to know he will get moksha after 1000 more births. This person is ABSOLUTELY ELATED that he will be in the company of God after those births. Instantaneously arises in him a spontaneous outpouring of love for God. The grace of God lifts the second devotee to moksha after that very birth!

You should search through devotee's posts to find this.

Hello Leena, i am your southern neighbor and wanted to know your direction. North, South and the west and east of where you were in Indiana. Look to your borders, you may find a temple there.

With response to your thread:

"I don't want another life"

Okay then don't.

None of us can know how much more karma you have to burn here...how much homework sets upon your table. I can tell you, that if you can manage to finish the work set before you for this life time, and are lucky enough to begin the extra credit phase , then it's not always so pleasant.

Wishing to opt out of this drama= more work= more lessons = sometimes, and quite often...really horrendous experiences.(at least it was for me)

You have two students...and both exclaim in 9th grade that they want to finish highschool early. So they like this idea very much...it's attractive to get ahead and not go to school everyday. No work YAY!

The principal agrees to allow them to try and they begin to get heaps of work...day and night...night and day more work. Not really so fun afterall these two 9th grader realize.

Several days into it, the whole idea looks less attractive to one and he gives up. But, the other is very good at work, and really buckles down...very determined!

So too, this situation requires steadfast work...and not a lot of time for fun.

One of the big ways Beloved know we are finished with this ridiculous realm is that he see us no longer enjoying the drama...moving away from highs and lows of the ride and just being so still.

By moving closer to stillness...and just Being...He come along and see this as an indication you no longer wish to play along.

But, if your work is not finished here, try as you might...you will become sucked back into this drama and be forced into situations where you are chest deep in it, once again. By clearing this work, these lessons...and getting to a zero balance in the Karma bank account can we truly, and most fully...become still.

Until then, we just keep working it through.

So if you truly do not wish to have another life, i think it's possible. It depend on many things, but possible.

Hari Om Beloved, an welcome to the forum<3

Thanks for the story, Wundermonk. I'll look for it.

NayaSurya: I'm in eastern Indiana. I've looked in Ohio and found a temple in Dayton and Cincinatti. There were more, but way too far. Google Maps also located some I didn't realize were there, like two around Indianapolis and one in Fort Wayne. I'll have to research them more, though.

Just take it easy. There are alot of scriptures and the like to read if you care to read them, just do what you can. The Bhagavad Gita to me was always a good read and it is also short and clear. Also there are probably always commentaries which break the flow of a read to me. I'd probably go for something with as little commentary as possible cause I'd think that'd be like more pressure on the reader.
    Last edited by Visvamitra; 25 March 2012 at 03:40 PM.
    The Vedas declared that the son rescueth the father from a hell called Put. ~ Celestials [Sec. 231 of Adi Parva - Mahabharata]

Thread Information