Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's wedding is this?

Who's wedding is this?

This painting was on the ceiling of a temple in Singapore. I wasn't actually there, my mother went and is sending me all these gorgeous photos as a result. I think she only went into the temple because she knows I'm Hindu!

The temple appears to be a Shakta temple so I'd love to know whose wedding the painting depicts.

At first I thought it was the wedding of Shiva and Parvati but they're seated to our right so I have no clue. Can anyone help? Also, if anyone can read Tamil (I assume that's what's the writing beneath it) could you possibly translate?

Re: Who's wedding is this?

Murugan-Devayani.

Namaste Divine Kala,

Thank you (and your mother) for sharing, a lovely panel- such fresh and vibrant-looking color!

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Beautiful

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

This is 100 percent the Tirupparankundram depicting the Wedding of Lord Muruga being married to Devasena Teyvayanai the Daughter of the Deva Indra.

Muruga can be sought via Bhakti Yoga. I think I may post an article on Murugam and Bhakti.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Baldwin View Post
    Tirupparankundram
    Vannakkam: Nice place. have you been? I really want to ascend the whole hill from the east end path. I'm sure the view would be something else, and the smaller temple up there. I was told the priests walk up every day.

Aum Namasivaya

Hello Eastern Mind, it is an honor to hear from you. I wish it were so, but no I have not been there - though I have visited some of the holy places over North India, Orissa, Bengal, UP, Nepal, and other places. I wish to see the holy places of Muruga and Valli, that would be wonderful! You know, Bhakti is a special power and spiritual electricity of certain personalities of God such as Kartikeya and Krishna! Since Lord Shiva is very special to me and brings the Spirit of Meditation for us, certainly the association of Muruga His Son is very special for us and for the Yoga called Bhakti. And there is a very, very special dart of almost magic, a vel of power and mystic spear to this Personality! have you been to the holy places of Muruga?

Vannakkam Brian: Yes, just last year, my wife and I were blessed to do the arapaiduveedu pilgrimage in the traditional way (well, not quite,... very traditional would be on foot ) and order. I will never feel the same. In terms of the shakti personally, I'd rank Tiruparunkandram third or fourth. If you can only choose one, choose Palani. It is just unreal.

Aum Namasivaya

I am amazed! There are only a few savant souls, and you are one of them. Aim nano Shivaya! That dust on your feet has magic holy stories to tell, it lives on and plays like the grooves on a record play. All we need to do it know how to put the needle onto it, and the message will play. You are very blessed!

Vannakkam:

There are many more arduous pilgrimages, like Amarnath, or Kedarnath. Anything with walking as well. From Madurai, and further, many souls walk to Palani, over the span of a week or more. From here in the west it would be nigh impossible, because of us not being used to the conditions. The heat, the water, and more would get us down. About the only real arduous thing from here in North America is the jet lag, and that only if you can't sleep on planes.

To do the arapaidaveedu by walking would take a minimum of 2 months. I've never met anyone whose done that. Some people hire a car and finish the route in 3 or 4 days. We took 12 days because I wanted to sit, and see each temple for awhile. We managed to witness the evening chariot festival at the first 3. Archanas at all 6 though. After that, they don't do it every night, unless there is a sponsor.

Still, each of those 6 temples is special on its own. A seventh, named Kundrakudi, I also found quite special. I do plan to go back in maybe 4 years, all things considered. I would like to see all 5 elemental Siva temples on one trip, and actually take a break to a hill station just to relax. Haven't done that yet either.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information