Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help: Christ Risen?

Re: Help: Christ Risen?

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Jesus could not have risen from the dead. If he was really dead it's impossible. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decomposition

It is probably meant as metaphor and meant what Vajvan said.

Maya
    I'm in on this view of his life and words being metaphorical.

The Jews were not Indians or Hindus. Both groups had completely different mindsets and histories, cultures, beliefs, geographical environments.

If he did exist, and what his nature is has been a matter of debate for centuries, even causing schisms between believers. The debates will rage on.

That said, whoever or whatever he was or was not, or whoever or whatever spoke in his name, was addressing the Jews of Palestine of the time. Dismiss Jesus's references to swords and bringing strife as metaphorical, or maybe prophetic, because that is exactly what his followers did. Maybe he knew he was kicking open a hornet's nest.

Everything that any deity, god(dess), demi-god(dess), prophet, did or said is metaphorical to teach a lesson, whether you believe that entity actually historically existed or not. Look below the surface. What was the lesson of Hiranyakashipu, and his boon from Lord Brahma? What is the lesson in Lord Narasimhadeva's killing of Hiranyakashipu? What is the lesson that Hiranyakashipu was "pardoned" by Lord Vishnu?

Imo, the lessons are you can't lie to or fool the gods. Hiranyakashipu got "punked" and paid the price; you can be sure that God will protect His devotee under any circumstances; even the worst offender is still loved and will be pardoned, though we may not see it. Lessons, metaphorical lessons.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, but everything imo is metaphorical and we don't see the forest for the trees.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Touchedbythelord,

Are you Swedish? The forest for the trees analogy is very Swedish.

Maya

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Are you Swedish? The forest for the trees analogy is very Swedish.
    No, I am whatever culture has the best food at the moment.

Seriously, I am Italian-American.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Im not for Swedish food much, LOVE our candy and pastries though.

Maya

It is a common attitude of modernists who are disillusioned with Christianity to turn all world religions into the metaphorical, effectively secularizing all religious teachings by reducing it all to the philosophical and psychological. The important thing to remember for Hindus is that the historicity of Jesus has absolute no relevance, it should have no effect on Hinduism.
    Last edited by satay; 27 March 2012 at 12:15 PM.

Admin Note

Please keep it on topic. If you have problems with Indians, India, Hindus, Hinduism, Hindu God or Gods, Hindu babas (fake or otherwise) this is not the forum to discuss those problems. Any posts related to such topics will be removed so do yourself and me a favour and keep it on topic and don't waste your time posting if you have nothing to say on the topic.

Thanks,
    satay

Namaste, Rudy

I found this book helpful (the entire book is online):

Robert Price -- Beyond Born Again
    http://www.infidels.org/library/mode...nd_born_again/

The book is written for Christians who are leaving Christianity and it discusses much of the "evidence" that Christians use to try to convert people.

You might also look into the books of Bart Ehrman. This is his most recent book, which I haven't read yet:

Did Jesus Exist
    http://www.amazon.com/Did-Jesus-Exis...2901265&sr=1-1

Bart Ehrman's books overlap a lot. This one is about what scholarship can and cannot tell us about the historical man:
    Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium
    http://www.amazon.com/Jesus-Apocalyp...2901628&sr=1-9

(I have no idea why this suddenly turned bold-faced and I can't seem to turn it off.)

Namaste Rudy again!

I think the link above from Amazon.com turned everything bold!

Please don't forget that Christianity has fear of a wrathful god at the back of its arguments. Even when it appears sweetest and most loving there is a huge "or else". So when you are considering Christianity, please ask yourself if it even makes sense that a loving god would create flawed beings and then torture those beings forever because they are flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm back.

(Just to get this out of the way I'm not trying to convert anyone.)

As some one who has grown up in America I had to deal with this sometime: was Jesus Christ the only son of God, was he resurrected?

I think that the evidence is showing that the claims of Christianity are true about Jesus. I'm really dragging my my feet that Jesus has risen from the dead and it's implications, I'll accept it if I need to, but not yet.

What are some good arguments, websites, or books that some of you know against Christianity's claim?

Thanks for the future help.
    I don't know of many good websites or books, since I don't go seeking these things out (also most of them are atheist, and I don't approve of atheism). Rather than looking at endless books and websites, maybe it'd be better to talk about this with Hindus, since we believe in God and supernaturalism, but not Christianity. So often Westerners were presented with the choice of Christianity or atheism, as if there is no other path. I was born and raised Hindu in America; belief in God is second nature to me. But I didn't even know what Christianity was until I went to college, so I find this choice a bit ridiculous.

So, was Jesus the only Son of God and was he resurrected? I want to point out here that in even asking this, you're making a lot of Christian assumptions. For one, you're assuming that there is some messianic figure in human history who is/will be the titular "Son of God." This title doesn't even make sense to me. In Hinduism God is regularly born as a man; he does this whenever there is a decrease in righteousness and an increase in unrighteousness. But he's God, not a "Son" of God. Even in a Jewish context, Rabbis will tell you that the Jewish Messiah is not considered the singular Son of God, rather all people are viewed as sons of God (not just Jews).

As for resurrection, it took me a long time to even understand this. In Christianity it's believed that the body is intimately tied to the soul, and that when the body dies the soul is somehow incomplete until the body is resurrected. Hence the need for Christ's body to be brought back to life. Christians will proudly say to Hindus, "my God is alive and yours is dead!" Usually they're referring to the many Hindu avatars of God who have lived and died. But in Hinduism the soul is viewed as eternal, whereas bodies are things we take up at birth and discard at death, much like one would a set of clothes or shoes. In effect, you transcend your body. So what need is there for an avatar of God to be resurrected upon death? As Gita teaches us, God created Maya (the illusion of the physical world) and is its master. When he is born in this world, he comes into it and exists within its context, but he does not come into Maya as we do upon birth. He transcends Maya and is not bound by it. So like us, the avatar of God is not the same as the body into which he is born, he is distinct from it and can simply take up another one when he dies.

By asking if Christ is risen you are already conceding several stipulations to the Christians. I would urge you not to make these intellectual concessions. Rather challenge them and ask if the world really is as Christians say it is.

10. Re: Help: Christ Risen?

Jesus is coming back from hell? He will live at Sinai.

Christians and Muslims are making many master illusions, and even forcing others to accept it. There is a good war between Army of God and Army of Allah, but both are just not troubleshooters.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information