Thread: Gayatri mantra

Gayatri mantra

Pranam

What is the Gayatri mahamantra for Atharvana veda?

palanikumar

Re: Gayatri mantra

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

• gāyatrī is the femine version of gāyatra - both indicating a hymn.
    • we know gāyatrī as a meter (chandas) - twenty-four syllables, generally as a triplet of eight syllables per line ; hence one can say a hymn is composed in the gāyatrī meter with these characteristics.
    • we know the mantraṁ from the ṛg ved:
      • tát savitúr váreṇyam
        bhárgo devásya dhīmahi
        dhíyo yó naḥ pracodáyā
        t
      • Note too that this occuring in the ṛg veda (3.62.10) does not appear with the mahāvyāhṛti of bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ; nor does it begin with oṃ. This has been added for a few reasons, which has been addressed before on HDF.
    • gāyatrī is addressed to savitṛ or the Sun as generator , we also call it sāvitrī ; the gāyatrī verse is personified as a goddess , the wife of brahmā and mother of the four vedas
    • It is considered another name of durgā
    • Kṛṣṇa ( some write kṛṣṇ) informs us in the 10th chapter of the bhāgavad gītā , of the sama chant ( that which is sung) He is gāyatrī.
    Lets look at this word gāyatrī this way... gāya+ trī :
    • gāya+na is singing; a praiser
    • traya is triple; also means chanting; the gāyatrī hymn is 3 lines of 8 syallables or 24 in total, hence the relevence of 3.
    • And trā is defined as protector, and it is rooted in trai which means to protect , preserve , cherish , defend , rescue from.
    Is there another view on this gāyatrī ? Consider the post offered by sarabhanga back in 2006 : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=7875&postcount=6

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

This is a question I have... why does this mantra have 9 syllables in the first line? I broke it up as it sounds to me. Or do I because I missed something?

Dev-ki-nan-dan-aa-ye vid-ma-he
    Vaasudevaaya dhimahi
    Tanno Krishna prachodayat
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    This is a question I have... why does this mantra have 9 syllables in the first line? I broke it up as it sounds to me. Or do I because I missed something?

Dev-ki-nan-dan-aa-ye vid-ma-he
    Vaasudevaaya dhimahi
    Tanno Krishna prachodayat
    Let me offer this on the very first word of this mantra. I will leave the count to others.

Looking at the mantra in saṃskṛtam, the first word you have offered 'Devkinandanaye' looks like this :

devakī + nanda + nāya
    • देवकी = devakī = one who sports or plays; this is a daughter of devaka who was wife of vasu-deva and mother of kṛṣṇa
    • नन्द = nanda = joy , delight , happiness
    • ना = nā + य = ya = नाय = nāya = direction, leader , guide.
    Yet we can look at it this way ( which I prefer) devakī + nandana +aya
    • देवकी = devakī = one who sports or plays; this is a daughter of devaka who was wife of vasu-deva and mother of kṛṣṇa
    • नन्दन = nandana = a son, in which we're inferring devakī's son, kṛṣṇa
    • अय = aya = favorable fortune
    You can see once the first word is assembled we have the the son of devakī , who is favorable or is a joy and delight (nanda) of devakī.

Now some may offer that 'aya' can be looked at as 'āya' and I too would agree. This 'āya' means arrival or approach.
    We can look at it in two ways ( as I see it). It is how one can 'approach' the son of devakī ( via the mantra offered)
    or it can be the ~arrival~ of the son via devakī the mother. I will leave the proper way to the experts of saṃskṛtam.

Yet note this ...'Devkinandanaye' is a bit off the mark for proper transliteration and may cause one to say one thing and mean another.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste yajvan, and thanks. Great explanation.

The syllable count was the real reason for asking. But I see the grammar and transliteration is completely different than I thought. I knew it meant "beloved son of Devaki" but I thought there was a dative case with the āye or āya ending. But it seems that is not possible, and it can't mean "to/for".

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Let me offer this on the very first word of this mantra. I will leave the count to others.

Looking at the mantra in saṃskṛtam, the first word you have offered 'Devkinandanaye' looks like this :

devakī + nanda + nāya
    • नन्द = nanda = joy , delight , happiness
    • ना = nā + य = ya = नाय = nāya = direction, leader , guide.
    Yet we can look at it this way ( which I prefer) devakī + nandana +aya
    • नन्दन = nandana = a son, in which we're inferring devakī's son, kṛṣṇa
    • अय = aya = favorable fortune
    You can see once the first word is assembled we have the the son of devakī , who is favorable or is a joy and delight (nanda) of devakī.

Now some may offer that 'aya' can be looked at as 'āya' and I too would agree. This 'āya' means arrival or approach.
    We can look at it in two ways ( as I see it). It is how one can 'approach' the son of devakī ( via the mantra offered)
    or it can be the ~arrival~ of the son via devakī the mother. I will leave the proper way to the experts of saṃskṛtam.
    Well, if there is anyone who is more adept at Sanskrit than you, I don't know what the world is coming to.

I think your next statement is a good example of Occam's Razor, "the simplest explanation is usually the correct one":

Yet note this ...'Devkinandanaye' is a bit off the mark for proper transliteration and may cause one to say one thing and mean another.

śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Satnam
    Does exist any difference about the word Gâyatrî and Gâyatra?
    Gâyatrî is feminin, okay, but people say sometimes Gâyatra and some say Gâyatrî? Why?
    Elena

Thread Information