Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small ways to show gratitude?

Small ways to show gratitude?

Namaste,

I have no idea why I'm inclined to make a new post about this, as I've some notion of how Hindus offer thanks and praise to God for things that come to them, but I'm feeling a little more creative of late and I really would love to hear from the members about how they say thanks when things have really worked out for them recently. God has been so good to me in the last half year. My health has returned, my life has become filled with more meaning and doors are opening, I have a new job, seeing friends again that I haven't seen in a while. I don't like to see life as a series of good and bad incidents, but I don't see these things as being accidental either and almost totally disbelieve in coincidence these days.

For that reason, I am moved to doing something back to say "I acknowledge Your help, and I will strive to improve myself and help others each day". Pujas are fine, but they seem a little staid to me sometimes. I love sitting before my shrine and offering gifts back to God, but sometimes I'd love to do more than that, something that would really put a smile on Ganesha's face rather than mine. I would offer to do a sustained fast for Lord Shiva or Maa Durga, but my working days leave me very little opportunity to do that effectively without doing damage to my health again. For instance, whenever something really good comes my way that I feel like I have literally been touched on the head by God, I have to stop in my tracks and in prayer pose say aloud "Om namah Shivaya" or "Jai Ganesha". As silly as it might sound next to traditional means of offering gifts to God, I sometimes write poems or verses (as best I can) for Ganesha and then burn it for Him along with incense.

Anyone have any ideas on what I could do, or like to share their devotional idiosyncrasies?

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Re: Small ways to show gratitude?

Namaste,

I am glad you made this topic. I really do not find your practice of writing poems and burning them along with incense for Ganesha. I think this is a great practice. It is a very personal approach as well. It comes straight out of your spontaneous devotion. It is more authentic. I find this to be wonderful Dharma here. For me I have lately been devoting myself to the 5 syllable mantra, Om Namah Shivaya. I try to keep it within the inbreath and out breath constantly. I also enjoy expressing my gratitude by putting my hands together and saying Om Namah Shivaya. Even for simple things such as sight, being able to hear, or seeing the lovely trees outside my apartment. Another thing I do that may be deemed 'silly' is whenever I eat or drink or enjoying some experience.. I will offer that experience to Lord Shiva. Or to the deities in general. I really took this type of practice from Tibetans, but I am sure it is much more ancient then that. But these are just simple things I do.

Om Namah Shivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté sunyata07

I am impressed by your question... It shows great advancement in one's thinking. The highest level of appreciation is to see Him every-where. In every blade of grass, in each fiber, in every being.

Just as one goes to an art gallery and admires one artist... and then goes to other art galleries to see more of his or her paintings. Over time this artist gets the word of this one individual who continues to look for his work , to see and appreciate his work. He soon says, let me come and meet this person that is so appreciative of my work, I must meet her. Like that, it is the same with the Supreme, He is the artist.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

"Thank You for this unlooked-for and unexpected gift, my Lord and Dear Mother. You give me what I need, or what You deem I should have; I am grateful for Your gifts and protection". Or a simple "thank You" while looking at a murthi or image.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam: One of the things I will do is to make a garland for temple, or extra food for prasadam. I do think it may be easier if you have a temple nearby and are a regular goer. We will give Ganesha a new veshti for example.

Aum Namasivaya

I am so so so so very happy that you have been well! It's hard work for the Devas to protect us...and to keep us sheltered (when possible), for sure.

This will sound off the wall. Or perhaps On

Today i am making an Easter Hat for Beloved. Beloved is called by MaryAlice this time(this will be my third Easter hat given away)...and she is a very sweet old lady with 2 granddaughters...and i made her first a hat for her present at xmas...and now she asked to pay me for one for her second grandchild for Easter....but she is also getting this one for free. I do not know her, very well....she is just a nice lady who does flowers at our grocery...always first to see her because flowers are at the front door. So we say hello...this is as much as i have known her. But, because Beloved is in every Beloved Eye....this hat is very special for me to do.

So with my still very hurt, malfunctioning hand, i work today upon this (so can't be very long here )

Other things-

Just yesterday...

I was in the bathroom cleaning my hand and singing to Beloved Mother. Suddenly i notice a candle fly is upon the mirror in front of me.

It is leaning toward me...really leaning...and so i say...Hari Om Beloved...and it leaned all the way my direction!

So....broken from toe up...this fool gets down upon her hands and knees and prays.

To this candle fly.

You can never be too carefull...every eye...Beloved.

It stay there the entire time while i pray...

Good or bad, up or down...it never changes. In fact, even in the worst of times, getting down upon your knees and just giving up the gratitude that things aren't worse.

because as we know...they always can be much worse.

I used to write poems in middle school and give them to Beloved, some of those...so wonderful...and gone to the wind...to His Beloved Heart.

The other day, as i rest within that stream once again. I pick up the beautiful purple sweet pea blossom from the mossy rocks and sent them into the water...sang to Beloved Mother as i watch it quickly flow down the waterfalls into the others beyond sight.

Sometimes i just meditate upon the Love i have in my heart...until i literally grow so overcome by this Love that i began to cry...then i send that entire full heart of Love to Beloved...

Then every hair stand on end as He answer this lil foolish portion.

"Okay lil one...We hear you...carrying on."

For a year i pray, Beloved Father...if you forgive me...if you hear me...take me to the Ocean. Pictures from these few memories surround my room...and remind me of this prayer. With a heart full of faith and belief i wait.

Knowing this can not happen now...knowing this can not happen...and still i ask.

On June 9th, 2012 i will put my feet into that Ocean...and then upon hand and knee....i will sing.

So touched...Beloved took the time to answer this obscure prayer. I am being given this trip. From one, who did not know of this prayer...my Beloved Sister.

She told me that she was compelled to take me, though she had no idea why...she just had to take me to the ocean.

So much more to this story, perhaps someday i try to tell that. But, i will spend this trip from the time we leave to the time we come home in prayer...and song.

Every footstep...every breath a prayer to Beloved...as a bird in spring i sing...with this heart so full of Love.

I Love you Beloved Everything<3

Namaste all.

Another very important thing imo, that I forgot to mention, is to "pay it forward" in the Lord's or Maa's name. Give a donation of food to an animal shelter, or to a food pantry, or pay a small part of someone's grocery bill who may be at a disadvantage. I think it's a great way of giving thanks for what we receive. Imo, offerings to and for the Lord or Divine Mother does not only mean saying "Lord or Maa bless this banana" then consuming it as prasad.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Hari Om!

Sunyata, you are a beautiful soul beyond compare. Thank-you for your acts of gratitude because they are not only a reminder, but encouragement to go beyond the ordinary as well. Again, thank-you for these gifts.

Not embarrassed to admit, but when I am deeply touched, tears roll down my eyes. Perhaps a little odd to some, but Lord Hanuman knows just what I'm saying without words.

Am often touched by "little" things too so your post and the replies are especially meaningful.

Jai Jai Hanuman!

Namaste,

Wonderful topic, wonderful replies. Anything I could add has generally already been addressed by others, so my customary long-windedness is absent here!
    JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Hari Om

Namaste to all,

JMD, wish my posts were as succinct and on point as yours.

Under idiosyncrasies, may seem weird to view as gifting, but this one does, in that meditate and pray more often these days for our collective energy to come to some influence in helping get this path more in consciousness of those who are not so aware. Including those who wish to roast and toast us. For not only victim but for one holding the knife. For this to occur, think would be what is desired. When look and see the Divine and am seen, this is gift asked for from me.

Jai Jai Hanuman.

FFTW

Thread Information