Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ISKCON

ISKCON

I found a local branch of this in st Louis and wondered if it's a "proper" place to learn? It sounds very modern and I just wanna make sure it's not a cult or a fad of Hinduism.
    "I'm alright, right now."

Re: ISKCON

Vannakkam Heather: I would encourage any 'seeker' within Hinduism to go to several places, temples, websites, and more and have a look see. Sort of like looking for a house to purchase. You want to be comfortable with what you find.

So rather than promoting my sampradaya, (term used for something narrower or a subsect, usually started from an individual teacher within a sect) or criticizing someone else's way of Hinduism, I think it's better to encourage you explore a bit until you feel comfortable. Then once you find that home, then delve into it.

Then there are those that kind of go 'mix and match' . There's nothing wrong with that approach either, but for me personally, I wouldn't recommend it as it can lead to some confusion as to which teacher is 'right'.

Although we do all come under the Hindu umbrella, in reality there are some pretty big differences between sects, probably as large as the differences between the three Abrahamic faiths.

Aum Namasivaya

right..i was thinking about that tonight as I was sitting there. This temple seems very centered around Krishna, but also spoke of Shiva, Lakshmi, etc...I would prefer a temple with shrines to multiple gods, but I suppose I can always worship at home for that seeing as I have a few statues.

Everyone was SO nice tonight and the Indian women stuffed me with food. So full...

Vannakkam: Since I'm personally familiar and feel more at home in South Indian style temples, if and when I go through St. Louis on some road trip, it will be this one. http://www.hindutemplestlouis.org/

Aum Namasivaya

I went to that one and it's beautiful! Everyone there was very helpful too. It's just that that one is 30 minutes away and not as convenient as the ISKCON one. I'm still in the learning phase of all this so I agree that taking samples of everything might be best. The people tonight pointed me to some local classes I could take as well. I'm glad this is easier than I thought it would be

Vannakkam: Wow, you're really getting out and about! I think that's great, as you get a better real sense of the diversity that way. Convenience means a lot. Here a group split on that issue itself, and built the same style of temple on the other side of town. People were tired of driving 45 minutes every Sunday. I'm lucky ... 10 minutes in no traffic, 15 in busy traffic, about an hour on foot. A couple are even closer, but I like the one.

Their website has nice pictures. For meditation purposes, I particularly like pillars because you can hide.

Aum Namasivaya

if you're referring to the STL temple, then they actually have little side rooms with deities in them as well. they're kinda "off the beaten path" of the temple. the one with the linga of Shiva is my favorite.

Namaste,

Heather, I must say that you are very adventurous. Lot of people keep procrastinating and keep putting off visiting a temple as they are scared of the unknown. But you did a fantastic job of visiting two of them in your neighborhood. As EM said, I too would suggest visiting as many temples as conveniently possible and then adopting the one where you feel most comfortable, as your favorite one to go to on a regular basis. Most of us seem to feel attached to one deity or the other, and some of us are equal opportunity worshipers, in that we have no favorites and we show same reverence to all. Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I particularly like pillars because you can hide.
    I never heard of anyone trying to hide in God's house.

Pranam

I'm especially attached to Shiva and Ganesh as I spent hours laying on my living room floor crying asking them to help me maintain my balance.

And that's my sad little Hindu sob story. lol

But I'm so curious about this world that was "evil" to me until now. I was actually told when I was much younger that anyone who wasn't Christian/Catholic was going to hell cause they worshiped multiple gods

oh well...I'll figure out a good pattern for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post

I never heard of anyone trying to hide in God's house.

Pranam
    Vannakkam: Well, now you have! If I can find a little niche off in the corner do do silent japa, I'm a happy camper. I must say the citadels of Saiva lore in South India are easier though. The pillars are bigger.

But then again there are people like you who would like to run in announcing "I'm here! I'm here!" That's just not my style.

Heather, I am biased but since you're attracted to Siva, I'd suggest you look into the teachings at Himalayan Academy as they are one of the few enthusiastic pure Saiva groups teaching in modern American English. The trilogy Dancing with Siva, Living with Siva, and Merging with Siva are all free on line as well so it might be a place to do some reading, although the reading is pretty vast. Needless to say then, the Lingam shrine would be my favorite as well.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information