Thread: Pathological Narcissism and religion, any thoughts?

Pathological Narcissism and religion, any thoughts?

Namaste all,

It would appear to me that there is a correlation between certain aspects of religion and the Western pathology called narcissism.

I don't subscribe to western psychology, believing that it has in fact a great deal to learn from Eastern philosophy, and the wisdom of sanAtana dharma; it is only scratching the surface of an understanding of conciousness integration with the material world. Hampered paradoxicaly by the lies of the narcissists that the subject, its self, attracts.
    Quite a conundrum.

This is however, an interesting article, and it is an interesting concept; still very badly conceived in Western thought.
    Sam Vaknin is a self proclaimed narcissist/psychopath, he is interesting to say the least.

For the love of God ...

praNAma

mana

Re: Pathological Narcissism and religion, any thoughts?

हरिः ओम्

Namaste,

I wonder; do we find Rudra here?

To know that one is God, naturally filled with God conciousness; without ever having burned with tapas; it is an
    interesting thought, no?

Worthy of discussion? Rahu, the imposter amongst the Gods!

Have you ever seen or experienced a narcissist, gas lighting?
    I currently work in a factory owned by one, it is quite difficult to remain detached as she spew hate, even wishing
    war upon the youth, who she deems to be feeble. She has said that She is not a believer in God yet She still claims
    that France is a Christian country in a religious war. ???
    When one is familiar with this human trait; it can be quite comical, yet its danger is never to be underestimated,
    to the unaware it is psychologically very dangerous, at the least very draining.
    I watch as she torments the other
    workers.
    Who bow to her every word.

Could it be that these human traits are depicted in our most ancient and beloved legends and star law?

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    I wonder; do we find Rudra here?
    There is no need to speculate about religion or to project mental illnesses on deities, if you are suffering from a psychological affliction, it's best to seek professional guidance.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Sahasranama,

Oh dear, are you having a bad day?

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Lack of assimilation on the part of minority results in developing contempt on the part of majority, Mana. Dont you see how well hindus go about their business without irritating the majority community everywhere, and compare it with someothers. In Europe and in rest of the world that is one problem social scientists have clearly identified. Iam in agreement with the steps taken by France in recent couple of years to assimilate all its citizens. We cant go into details here for obvious reasons. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post

Oh dear, are you having a bad day?
    No, my day is fine. Couldn't be better, actually.

Professional guidance from psychiatrists has a proven track record of helping people with mental illness. It's your best bet. On the other hand, speculating about religion is not conducive to your condition and can make matters worse. Besides, your speculations about Hinduism are becoming offensive to people who are serious about this religion, like linking Rudra to pathological narcissism or comparing terrorists abusing their powers to the child Krishna's divine play. If you don't want to believe in western psychology that is your prerogative, but at least don't expect Hindus to fill that role for you.
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 20 June 2012 at 12:34 PM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste charitra,

The West today is being destroyed by narcissism, it is to my mind a vital function within the spiritual workings of human
    universal conciousness, although one might say that it also has its merits at times, it is a dynamic.

At its worst, it starts wars and causes much suffering. I am of the opinion that, it is the shedding of light upon such things
    which is essential for the destruction of mAyA which is so thick with ignorance that the gentle and kind hearted are now
    non entities; this is exactly that which drives the wheels of awareness or it lack of.
    So why not discuss this clearly relevant subject?

The Sun being closer than the Moon, this is to my mind, a direct reference to the very same. Narcissism, when allowed to
    become the dominant intellectual force through the repetition of the past, and failure to recognise the present, this drys
    the very sap from the tree; the tree then breaks.

Ida and pingala.

I have great difficulty understanding the need to mentally put everything into boxes of isms and groups, I am an
    independent thinker who is left breathless by the sight of the whole. Yet all around me I see people being beaten
    into submission by cruel others, intellectual bullies, gleefully they take the lead of the down trodden.
    I can see this as plain as the day, due to my subjective nature.
    I spent the first half of my life running or hiding from it.

Spiritual practis gives me the courage to answer to narcissists, why not discuss it?

This is neither speculation nor assimilation; I am speaking after lengthy observation.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Sahasranama.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    ...No, my day is fine. Couldn't be better, actually.

Professional guidance from psychiatrists has a proven track record of helping people with mental illness. It's your best bet...

Of course you feel fine, how silly of me.

Your allusions to my mental health have left me totally unscathed; if anything, all the more sure of this conclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I have an extremely high respect for God conciousness. In fact it is also worth noting that;
    Pathological Narcissism was removed from the journal or lists of mental illnesses in America, once they realised just
    how prevalent it really is. I see Western psychiatry as being about 500 years behind any understanding found in The
    culture of India Nepal and Tibet, particularly Kashmir

I am fascinated by the notion that a ksetrajnas are beings who obtain God conciousness through spiritual practis,
    where as Rudras are beings that are always eternally filled with God conciousness. This is why I proceed with this line
    of thought.

I do not subscribe to this Western doctrine, yet for lack of language with which to discuss a topic, so evidently of great
    import, leaves me some what in want of better terminology; this is why I am intrigued as to whether it be found in our
    languages most ancient roots, Sanskrit being the root of the English language it is a fascinating place for me to search.

praṇāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 20 June 2012 at 03:03 PM.
    8i8

Thread Information