Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Learn

How to Learn

नमस्ते,

My wife and I have recently chosen to commit ourselves to follow Sanātana Dharma. It has had such a huge effect in both of our lives. It is by far the most joyful time for both of us.

However, Hinduism is broad, deep, and very diverse. We both desire very much to learn as much as we can about Hinduism, the culture, the celebrations, common ways to worship, how to improve our relationship with our chosen Gods, etc. There's just so much, and we have no idea where to begin. For the record, we follow primarily Śiva, Ganesha, and Śakti, but I also love Kṛṣṇa.

I have a desire to read the Bhagavad Gita, so I will likely begin there at least. But still, it is like a huge puzzle that we have no idea how to piece together.

That's why I am on this forum, and she will be once her account is approved. But still, we want to see how we can learn as much as possible while growing in our faith.

Thank you for your assistance.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Re: How to Learn

Hello ANS:

IMO, you have asked a very deep question.

How does one become a Hindu? For many of us on HDF, this was not a problem because many of us were born into Hindu families surrounded by Hindus and Hindu culture.

My few thoughts:

A nice introduction to Hinduism would be via the practice of Yoga and Pranayama. Personally, I have benefitted a lot from practising Yoga at a young age. Finding a good Yoga teacher these days may not be that difficult as I believe Yoga is a bit hit where you are from - the US.

Hinduism has enough for people in different levels. For the philosophically oriented, there are 6 different philosophical thoughts. I would suggest a gentle introduction to Hindu philosophy.

As you mention, the BG is a must read. There are a variety of commentaries on the BG that you may find to your liking. Coming from a Christian background (?) my suggestion would be to look at Dvaita-type commentary of the Gita.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum, to both you and your wife.

I´m a new Hindu too, although I've been on this path for about 13 years now.
    There is a lot to learn and it is very diverse and there is so much. It´s not really like other religions that say: "We believe THIS. Do you? Great, now you are one of us."
    Well actually it IS like that with Hinduism too, but like you said there are so many opinions, so many philosophies that in the beginning it can feel overwhelming.
    My advice is to take it slowly, after a while you will know more about what you are most drawn to, and you will know more in general about this, and then you will feel a little more confident.

I was Hindu for several years before I felt confident enough to tell people, it wasn't that I didn't feel that I should be Hindu, but I didn't know enough and felt that if people asked me questions I would not know how to answer.

Keep in mind that the Dharma is open to interpretations. There is no one who will tell you that you HAVE to believe this, or do this or that.

The cultural part of Hinduism is of course an important part of this. But don´t throw away your own culture and your own past. It is perfectly fine to be exactly who you are, you don´t have to become Indian to be Hindu.

Are there any temples or Ashrams where you live? I would start there, go to a puja, a kirtan or meditation.
    Definitely read the Gita and the Upanishads. I´m partial to the Upanishads myself

Maya

Jainarayan is offline ॠनमो भगवते वासà¥à¤¦à¥‡à¤µà¤¾à ¤¯

Namaste.

I don't remember if I posted this anywhere else. The .pdf takes a long time to load, and it's a long read, but well worth it, if you want to peruse it before buying the book. I'll bet EM knows of it, being familiar with Himalayan Academy, iirc.

What Is Hinduism?
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Vannakkam Aum Namah Sivayah: So what was the turning point in this decision, if you don't mind me asking?

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Aum Namah Sivayah: So what was the turning point in this decision, if you don't mind me asking?

Aum Namasivaya
    नमस्ते Eastern Mind

I'm going to respond to this first because it is extremely important to me, the path that led to this life-changing decision.

In short, it is because in Hinduism, I quite literally feel God's grace with me always.

As a longer description: I saw that without Hinduism, I was not a good person. I'm not saying that Hinduism makes the person, but that I tried everything to become a better person, a better husband to my wife, more loving, more accepting, more peaceful, more joyful. Yet, I could not dig myself out of the pit, because I was trying to do it on my own. Now of course I believed in God, in the Ultimate Reality so to speak, but it was not real to me. I knew it, but I did not KNOW it. I have been down many, many spiritual paths in my life, but joy has never touched me so completely.

And I tell you that the moment, the very day that I made the commitment that this was the only way for me, I felt God again—I KNEW God again. I knew love, I knew joy, and I knew peace. And despite anything maya could throw at me, it is still the case.

Most of all for me, things transformed between my wife and me. And I mean overnight.

This path makes me want and need to be a better person. There's just no other option.

Then most surprisingly of all, my wife decided to join me on this path. I did not ever even suggest that she might think about it, because she's been a lifelong Christian. However, she saw what happened to me, and it's been the same thing she's been trying to search for within Christianity for years, unsuccessfully. So she made the same decision, and though she also has a devotion to Christ, she also has one to Gaṇeśa, Śakti and Śiva. And, though the transition has initially been a little more difficult than my own, she still loves it and reports the same thing I have—she says that she feels free for the first time in years.

For me, it wasn't enough to just meditate or to follow yogic practices while remaining outside of Hinduism itself. It is 100 times easier under the umbrella of Hinduism than without, and I really believe I could not have done it otherwise.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Namaste ANS,

You have come to the right place. We have some highly knowledgeable Western Hindus on this forum. I am sure they are ca[able of making you very very comfortable to Hindu Dharma. I would name a few :

a) Yajvan
    b) Eastern Mind
    c) NayaSurya

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

नमस्ते wundermonk

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Hello ANS:

IMO, you have asked a very deep question.

How does one become a Hindu? For many of us on HDF, this was not a problem because many of us were born into Hindu families surrounded by Hindus and Hindu culture.

My few thoughts:

A nice introduction to Hinduism would be via the practice of Yoga and Pranayama. Personally, I have benefitted a lot from practising Yoga at a young age. Finding a good Yoga teacher these days may not be that difficult as I believe Yoga is a bit hit where you are from - the US.
    Yes, I do and have practiced yoga of various types.

Hinduism has enough for people in different levels. For the philosophically oriented, there are 6 different philosophical thoughts. I would suggest a gentle introduction to Hindu philosophy.
    Actually, I'm pretty familiar with Hindu philosophy, and am very definitively within the advaita vedanta line of thought.

As you mention, the BG is a must read. There are a variety of commentaries on the BG that you may find to your liking. Coming from a Christian background (?) my suggestion would be to look at Dvaita-type commentary of the Gita.

Good luck!
    I actually do not come from a Christian background. If I had to describe it, I'd call it more new-age than anything. So I am definitely not a dualist, which is why I enjoy the Bhagavad Gita so much. I will try to find a commentary though, so thank you.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Quote Originally Posted by Maya3 View Post
    Welcome to the forum, to both you and your wife.

I´m a new Hindu too, although I've been on this path for about 13 years now.
    There is a lot to learn and it is very diverse and there is so much. It´s not really like other religions that say: "We believe THIS. Do you? Great, now you are one of us."
    Well actually it IS like that with Hinduism too, but like you said there are so many opinions, so many philosophies that in the beginning it can feel overwhelming.
    My advice is to take it slowly, after a while you will know more about what you are most drawn to, and you will know more in general about this, and then you will feel a little more confident.

I was Hindu for several years before I felt confident enough to tell people, it wasn't that I didn't feel that I should be Hindu, but I didn't know enough and felt that if people asked me questions I would not know how to answer.

Keep in mind that the Dharma is open to interpretations. There is no one who will tell you that you HAVE to believe this, or do this or that.

The cultural part of Hinduism is of course an important part of this. But don´t throw away your own culture and your own past. It is perfectly fine to be exactly who you are, you don´t have to become Indian to be Hindu.

Are there any temples or Ashrams where you live? I would start there, go to a puja, a kirtan or meditation.
    Definitely read the Gita and the Upanishads. I´m partial to the Upanishads myself

Maya
    नमस्ते Maya3

Thank you. Yes, that diversity of belief is some of why my wife decided to join me on this path as well. She grew tired of Catholicism, where the rules are passed down and just expected to be followed without question. It is refreshing for her that she is free to believe what she feels most comfortable with, and no one will tell her otherwise.

But still we're interested in the culture, at least to know about it if not to implement all of it.

Unfortunately, no temples here. I hope that we one day move somewhere where there is a temple, but it is not yet.

Yes I will have to look at the Upaniṣads. They look interesting as well.

ॐ नमः शिवाय

Namaste ANS,

If you ask me, I would reply as Maya has replied to you. Read Upanishads which are the highest Truth revealed to the mankind. Bhagwad Gita cannot be correctly understood unless you have some knowledge of VedAnta.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information