Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lake of fire and the unmanifest, theoretical question?

Lake of fire and the unmanifest, theoretical question?

If there is a lake of fire, and if things that enter are just dissolved in it, would OR could the person once dissolved instantly enter the unmanifest. So all people that enter the lake of fire would be there until all karma is exhausted. They would just reach the point of total pain and suffering and then bam you are in the unmanifest? Is that possible?

Thanks. Peace!

Re: Lake of fire and the unmanifest, theoretical question?

Namaste AP,

Your lake of fire strikes some very curious imagery, I am not so sure that this is particularly beneficial.

It is interesting to look at fire and ask what it is? Agni is the Sanskrit terminology this is one of the principal tatvas which are: Earth, Water, Wind, Fire, and Either; otherwise said, Solids, Liquids, Gases, Energy, Space/Either.

Agni, it is said also to exist in our stomachs.

If we consider this notion scientifically as well as philosophically, the combustion of food by acid is the same process as the combustion of wood or fuel by fire, it just happens at a different rate and on a slightly different level.

Now, if we consider a battery: Batteries use this same acid "fire" to make electricity.

Do you see the connection? The imagery is not quite so stark but the fire is there, present in us all.

I don't really understand your notion of "unmanifest" do you simply allude to that which is not seen, or maybe that which has not yet happened?

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 14 April 2012 at 01:14 AM.

The unmanifest is where God is. God should be in hell too, in some form, since he knows all things that are going on.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by AstralProjectee View Post
    The unmanifest is where God is. God should be in hell too, in some form, since he knows all things that are going on.

Peace!
    God is in everything; hell is a state of mind ...

It would appear to me from your use of imagery, that you are basing your thoughts upon Abrahamic notions, with a slight bent towards the occluded.

Might I humbly sudgest that you leave behind any previsioned notions, in order to realise those of the classic schools of sanAtana dharma; so as to be based in the the same imagery?

Have you read the Bhagavad Gita?

praNAma

mana

I have only read the Bhagavad Gita a little here and there.

I can't hold to any one religon right now. But I think in understanding all religions I will be able to understand myself and the universe.

Peace!

Quote Originally Posted by AstralProjectee View Post
    I have only read the Bhagavad Gita a little here and there.

I can't hold to any one religon right now. But I think in understanding all religions I will be able to understand myself and the universe.

Peace!
    I mean absolutely no disrespect, but could it be that you are currently unaware as to how your current dharma is colouring your thought process?

Am of no religion, to my mind religion is a mental construct of man and has no place on my path.

There is much within this vast volume of knowledge that is inspired by sanAtana dharma, to assist one in clearing the mind of all past preconceived thought, so as to enable a clearer vision of the present.

sanAtana dharma is not religion, but a way of life which is harmonious.

You are of course, free to interpret as you wish; or are you?

Thank you, It is a pleasure to exchange thought with one who enquires and seeks experience rather than relying purely on text.

With that said, the visions portrayed in certain texts are very much designed to guide this process.

I highly recommend that you read the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads, as transcribed by Eknath Easwaran.

These are an excellent introduction to this elegant scripture.

praNAma.

mana

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    I highly recommend that you read the Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads, as transcribed by Eknath Easwaran.
    And his commentary on it Essence of the Bhagavad Gita: A Contemporary Guide to Yoga, Meditation & Indian Philosophy ISBN 978-58638-068-7
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

What about my original theoretical question?

Peace!

Vannakkam AP: For me, the original theoretical question fell apart after the first phrase ... the 'if' was just too big for me. For me, there is no lake of fire, so any guessing about it is moot. "If I won a billion dollars, what would I do with it?" falls into the same category.

Aum Namasivaya

I'm sure you could come up with some good answers to the question. "If I won a billion dollars, what would I do with it?"

Peace!

Thread Information