Thread: Why is the Supreme called "Brahman"?

Why is the Supreme called "Brahman"?

Hello,

I am just very curious as to why the divine is called "Brahman" according to Sanatana Dharma.
    Several sources I have looked at say the word comes from the root meaning "to grow" or "expand." Does this refer to the thought that the One became many?

What does the word tell us about the nature of the divine?

Thank you very much.

Re: Why is the Supreme called "Brahman"?

Vannakkam UL: Wiki gives some entymology. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brahman

But as to why something is called what its called, that's a linguistic question for every word in existence, no?

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste UL,

The explanation given by one great saint of Shankaracharya's order is given below :

The word brahman comes from the root brha or brhi, which means knowledge, expansion, and all-pervasiveness. It is that existence which alone exists, and in which there is the appearance of the entire universe. This is a Sanskrit word that denotes that oneness, the non-dual reality, the substratum underneath all of the many names and forms of the universe.

Brahman is not a name of God. These contemplations neither promote nor oppose any particular religious concept of God. Brahman is often described as indescribable. For convenience sake, it is said that brahman is the nature of existence, consciousness, and bliss, though admitting that these words, too, are inadequate.

The real meaning comes only in direct experience resulting from contemplation and yoga meditation.
    OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

all life and growth are a result of Brahman. all things are because Brahman is.
    If you found out that you were god, dreaming a life for yourself, and that you were identical with the external world, you would ask yourself: "So, what would I have happen to me in my life? what would be my perfect drama?":cool1:

You died, and death was complete freedom from suffering - bliss. But it very quickly got lonely and repetitive in bliss, so you decided to be born once more. You've been doing this forever.

Thread Information