Thread: Sanskrit Puja Memorization

Sanskrit Puja Memorization

Namastщ!!

I'm currently learning formal pujas in Sanskrit, and frankly it a little bit hard, memorizing everything. I was wondering if it was absolutely necessary to all pujas in Sanskrit. Not that I'm trying to get out learning the Sanskrit Pujas, I would continue to memorize them, and whenever I have the entire Puja memorized, I would do that particular one in Sanskrit. Again, would I be able to pujas in Enlgish until I memorize it in Sanskrit, or just memorize it in Sanskrit, then do it?

Dhanyavadah!
    Jai Maa Durga

Jainarayan is offline реР рдирдореЛ рднрдЧрд╡рддреЗ рд╡рд╛рд╕реБрджреЗрд╡рд╛р дп

Re: Sanskrit Puja Memorization

Namaste.

Doubtless others know better than I; I can only refer to what a Gujarati coworker told me. He said his wife does puja in Gujarati because her Sanskrit is so bad, despite attempts to improve. He said even at temple, services are done in Gujarati and even in English. I suppose it depends on the contents of the puja; one wouldn't (I think) recite a Vedic mantra in English or Italian.
    ┼Ыivasya hridayam viс╣гс╣Зur viс╣гс╣Зoscha hridayam ┼Ыivaс╕е

Nmaste,

During Puja...verses are to be recited in Sanskrit ...rest of the puja can be done in any language. Tamilandu people do puja in Tamil and Gujarat Hindu do it in Gujarati language. You can read Sanskrit verses during puja, till you memorize them. Thanx.

For verses, what are you implying? Like invocations, the chanting of names, prayer for protection and all?
    Jai Maa Durga

namaste cmorel02.

Take the gaNesha pUja at this link, for instance:
    http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audi...puja_color.pdf

What most South Indian laukika--worldly brahmins do here for home pujas is to keep the puja text on the lap or nearby and read aloud from it as the puja is performed. Since the book is nearby, both hands are free to go through the puja actions. As one performs puja in this way frequently, the verses and procedure of the puja will get automatically into the mind, so after a time, the text won't be necessary to be kept nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by cmorel02 View Post
    For verses, what are you implying? Like invocations, the chanting of names, prayer for protection and all?
    рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдХрд░рдзреМрддрдкрджрд╛рдВ рд╣рд┐рдорд╛рд▓рдпрдХрд┐рд░реАрдЯрд┐рдиреАрдореН ред
    рдмреНрд░рд╣реНрдорд░рд╛рдЬрд░реНрд╖рд┐рд░рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдвреНрдпрд╛рдВ рд╡рдиреНрджреЗ рднрд╛рд░рддрдорд╛рддрд░рдореН рее

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information