Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anger

Anger

Vannakkam: I believe some days seekers and sadhakas, including me, get ahead of themselves. Surely we have no hope of understanding the Self without at first having an inkling or two about ourselves. As with AA and many other self-help ideas either within the context of Hinduism, or not, usually a must on a personal level is an admission that you at least suffer from occasional bouts of the stuff.

Certainly I see a lot of irony some days ... "I'm so mad that my sadhana was interrupted!"

Lately I've been reflecting on anger: it's negative effects, its colour, what causes it, how to learn to harness it, it's variance in degrees, and more, within the context of a project I've been working on.

Of course it varies from the subtlety of a snide remark, to revenge, to rage, and comes in all kinds of ways like shunning, physical, emotional, and seems to be one certain way of either working out or accruing karma.

Some examples: When in India I witnessed a shopkeeper berating his employees to the point where if he'd have been on the west, someone may have stepped in. Certainly a cop would have.

I had to walk out of a classroom full of kids one day for fear of doing something stupid enough to lose my job.

One man at our temple disturbs the peace more by yelling at other devotees to shut up than the disturbance caused by the devotees themselves.

So I have a few questions for discussion, perhaps, if anyone else is at all interested in pursuing the low instead of the highs of consciousness.

1) Is it really all that harmful?
    2) Where is it in the mind, in consciousness?
    3) What are some causes, or the root cause?
    4) How does dharma fall into the equation?
    5) Is there more latent anger in some cultures than in others? How about ages, or genders?
    6) Do different societies deal with it differently?
    7) How subjective is it? Is it easier to see in others than in yourself? Do you excuse yourself but not others?
    8) Are there any circumstances when its truly justified?

Just thoughts for a new discussion.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Anger

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I believe some days seekers and sadhakas, including me, get ahead of themselves. Surely we have no hope of understanding the Self without at first having an inkling or two about ourselves. As with AA and many other self-help ideas either within the context of Hinduism, or not, usually a must on a personal level is an admission that you at least suffer from occasional bouts of the stuff.
    Dear EM:

Here is my 0.002 C.

Anger is emotional and not spiritual. Such anger is a result of disagreement. Imagine a spiritually mature person, who claims to be rooted in scriptural values as a guide, has no control over his anger! If someone thinks he is spiritually mature yet does not bridle his tongue, and so deceives his heart, his religion/spirituality is futile. If one cannot control his tongue, his Godliness is worth zero. Such anger never accomplishes God’s righteousness. It only destroys you before it destroys others. So often we see bad testimony from seemingly good people is because of the way they use their tongue. We all need to learn to alleviate anger. It is when anger has no outlet and morphs into resentment that it carries with it the potential to cause turmoil.

Perhaps, we need to ponder over these Verses in Proverb 17:27 that might help one grow spiritually, “He who has knowledge spares his words”. Precisely what it means is “keeping in check a multitude of opinions that could ignite further anger in others”. We need to learn from other elders who are very careful in their usage of language. Because, someone who displays wisdom will think before speaking, and then will share only insights likely to be helpful, as he/she perceives.

However, there is also anger called “righteous anger” that we should all cultivate to have. We all get angry at our children only to set them right just as God’s righteous anger to set his children right.

Next time we become angry, we should stop and prayerfully reflect for a moment. Ask God for a calm spirit and the right words to say that will only edify others. A mature person exhibits understanding by keeping cool in conflict. Therefore, before we open our mouth, we need to “critique” ourselves so that we are less likely “criticized” by the others.

If you think that God’s love seeks to transform our behavior, in His love, we don’t react disdainfully or angrily towards others simply because we don’t agree.

Blessings,

Quote Originally Posted by nirotu View Post

Anger is emotional and not spiritual.
    Vannakkam: I understand what you're saying, but overcoming it is spiritual, at least we can use spirituality or methods (tantras). (By this I mean within the context of Hinduism primarily) If it isn't spiritual, then just what is it we mean by 'progressing towards moksha' or other similar statements, beside overcoming such baseness as anger, jealousy, avarice, or all those wonderful isms known to humanity?

I also notice the hypocrisy you pointed out, yet I see that its really each individual's job work on raising their own consciousness. As the old saying goes, one can only change themselves.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Aum Namasivaya

God’s righteous anger to set his children right.
    Vannakkam: Either we have different God's or different concepts of God, because Siva doesn't get angry. At least that's my understanding.

Aum Namasivaya

anger within reasonable limits is permissible if the outcome is constructive. Anger can be a form of protest against adharma. Gita says act without any expectations or attachment (of the outcome). Easy said than done.

Anger if redirected in a proper manner may prove to be inspirational and very productive. Some Wo/men on this forum, for example, harbor some anger against injustice meted out to hindus, so as a result they channel the energy in explaining the virtues of their path. Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: Either we have different God's or different concepts of God, because Siva doesn't get angry. At least that's my understanding.

Aum Namasivaya
    Thank you, EM. While I greatly respect your view, I have somewhat a differing view of the Lord Shiva.

Perhaps, we are talking of same God with different view!

As I understand, the mystery of God cannot be comprehended by the mind of man. That is because there are endless attributes and aspects of the Brahman of which we, human beings, have no absolute knowledge. Yet we insist upon interpreting the nature of God on the analogy of his own personality, a complex mix of cognition, affections and desires.

That said, we do know that the unity in wisdom, love and goodness is clearly visible in the way he operates. “His activities in relation to the world are those of creation, redemption and judgment (S.R)”. Accordingly Brahma represents the cognitive aspect of God, creates; Vishnu represents the love, redeems; Shiva the God of omnipotence, power and perfection, judges. Thus, God is not merely truth and love, but also justice. He is the embodiment of power and perfection, the judge of good and evil, the Lord of karma, karmadhyaksha. When we sin, it is Shiva the judge, who punishes us. Creation, redemption and judgment are the three fundamental aspects of the creative evolution. It is the One viewed as threefold,”eka eva tridha smrtha”.

The fact that the redemptive aspect is rooted in the divine, shows there are elements from which we are to be redeemed. Otherwise, we all would have been equally divine and there would be no need of redemption or judgment. Gita says (Chap III, 10) “Brahma created man along with the law of sacrifice.” The law is the means by which we can realize God’s ideal for us and grow in to His likeness. But, we forget our origin, our place in His plan because of our endless and selfish pursuit of our own desire. It is then the need for God’s redemptive power arises. However, His redemptive activity takes place in accordance with the very order created by Brahma, who does not care to exalt Himself by condemning the very laws framed by His own fingers. No matter how much all loving Vishnu actively wants to help every soul to fight against sin and stupidity, He does not act against our own will. Thus the judge, Lord Shiva, is waiting in the wings to act upon our sin.

You will notice that Christian theology is also realizing that the unity of God is consistent with His three aspects, as described by Aquinas, Father as the power, Yahweh exercising judge (Siva), the Son as the Logos, Word or wisdom, the principle of creation (Brahma), and the Holy Spirit as pervading love (Vishnu). However, the Christian theology differs in the sense that the three aspects are three modes of His activity (one essence) and not as three distinct minds or centers of consciousness.

Blessings,

Ref:
    Gita (Chap III)
    Taittiriya Upanishad
    S.Radhakrishan- Indian Philosophy/Indian Religious thoughts
    T. Aquinas

You will notice that Christian theology is also realizing that the unity of God is consistent with His three aspects, as described by Aquinas, Father as the power, Yahweh exercising judge (Siva), the Son as the Logos, Word or wisdom, the principle of creation (Brahma), and the Holy Spirit as pervading love (Vishnu). However, the Christian theology differs in the sense that the three aspects are three modes of His activity (one essence) and not as three distinct minds or centers of consciousness.
    Dear nirotu:

I am sorry to sound like a broken record but this should be said.

In this entire thread there has been no mention of Christianity until your post. This was not the "Abrahamic religions" subforum.

Why cannot you let go of your attempts at proselytization?

It has been said before and it bears repeating...Jesus, Abraham, Moses, Adam, Eve, Mohammed, Allah, Yahweh, Father, Son, Holy Ghost, etc., etc. are of 0 relevance to Hindus. Zero, Zilch, Nada, Zip. They are relevant to Christians/Muslims and them alone.

I hope that you will be gracious enough to understand the POV of majority of the posters here on HDF and refrain from dragging in Abrahamic figures arbitrarily into a discussion on HINDU dharma forums.

When invited as a guest, unless explicitly asked for, I wouldnt impose my version of divinity onto the host. Looks like you do not share such values.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    Dear nirotu:

I am sorry to sound like a broken record but this should be said.

In this entire thread there has been no mention of Christianity until your post. This was not the "Abrahamic religions" subforum.

Why cannot you let go of your attempts at proselytization?
    Perhaps if you read the OP, you would not have acted upon your anger!
    Read his post clearly and see my underline.

I would like to assume "when not in the context of Hinduism" implies in the context other than Hunduism..

As I said before, Critique yourself before being criticized by others.

Blessings,

Perhaps if you read the OP, you would not have acted upon your anger!
    Read his post clearly and see my underline.

I would like to assume "when not in the context of Hinduism" implies in the context other than Hunduism..

As I said before, Critique yourself before being criticized by others.

Blessings,
    Ah ok. My bad.

Please carry on. Brahman = Abraham?

Namaste Em, All

To my mind Anger is the rapid release of static electricity from the tripe in the stomach into the heart and brain; I would think, given recent evidence that I have seen, that it is actually the neurons in the heart which decide from within the sub concious; this creates an adrenal injection usually to drive speech, but at other times a more physical reaction, should the heart decide. I forget which documentary off hand, it was very compelling evidence for this.

How we react upon this at a subconscious level depends upon our habits and our balance. All this is prana how we translate that energy in to action depend upon our skills as a charioteer.

Different social structures and cultures react in greatly differing ways, as this energy flow in the body is also highly interconnected with love and desire, intelligence and fear.

This is where the Self is joined to the self, it depends verymuch as to the percieved status of the individual as to how their endocrine system is balanced, in regards to them selves, as a group or if very advanced, completely independently.

Now as intelligence is suspended upon this framework, manas is the connection between mind and body via these prana. Bhudi maintains dharma and is the charioteer, either we listen to our learned passenger or not.

Subjective, I don't think so, not at all. However, there are many who are completely unaware of the extent to which they are driven by static in their tummies; this is more due to a lac of conscience that anything else, and is again, governed by the heart.

Is karma justifiable? Our anger is like the variation in the groove on a record, it is our choice as to whether we play that track.

An interesting thread EM thank you for asking, what do you think?

praNAma

mana

Thread Information