Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Incense Thoughts

Re: Incense Thoughts

Namasté,

Recently I was given a small packet of Buddha Dhoop Udhyog incense in Jatamashi (spikenard) scent. This is my first experience with low-smoke incense, and it is wonderful; my room is slowly, gradually infusing with the earthy, savoury scent of jatamansi, yet the air remains completely clear, and I see only the tiniest wisp of smoke from the burner. This would be ideal for meditation, especially on days when one feels scattered, anxious, worried, or otherwise in need of the nurturing/grounding qualities of jatamansi. It is also very inexpensive.

(So, Mana, if you're still searching out a good spikenard, I can recommend that one!)

Anyone else with recent incense thoughts to share?
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Well I can definitely endorse low-smoke incense. It's good for small spaces. Other then that I've been kind of boring in terms of different scents. I tried a "rose" scented incense from the same brand as the cedar I love, but it was awful. Roses have a delicate scent - this was very heavy and almost a bitter/sour scent. So since then I've stuck with cedar. I should really broaden my horizons though. I tend to find things I like and then stick to them for a long time.
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste

At the wedding of Sita and Rama in Mithila, black aloe incense was burned.

In the Raghuvamsha by Kalidasa (4th Century CE, Gupta Dynasty, Kalinga and Ujjain), in the Sixth Chapter in Verse 8, we find this reference to the burning of aguru or black aloe incense in such quantity that the smoke of it curls over and higher than even the lofty banners during the engagement and wedding.

Krishna is described by the Gopis as having “aguru scented palms” (SB 10.47.21).

Actually, there are too many references to this incense “aguru” to mention, I want to find out more about this fragrance, the source of it (aloe?), and if anyone has obtained it and uses it.

On ebay, there is a brand called “Gaura Incense” that sells “Aguru” for about $5 dollars for 20 grams.

Is this the real stuff?

Om Namah Sivaya

Talking Re: Incense Thoughts

Namaste,

I've only recently begun experimenting with incense, so I found this thread very helpful and interesting. It's been a while since anyone has posted here, so would be interested if anyone has anything new to share. Also, what is a good site to shop for incense online? I would be looking for high quality, as well as good descriptions of the product.

Thanks.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Namaste, all,

I must apologise for not reviving this thread earlier; I didn't see the request at the time.

ShivaFan, what you name as aguru is also aloeswood, oude, or kyara, and the Wikipedia page on "agarwood" is a good description of the substance and the modern issues involved with its harvest. Because of its time-consuming and labour-intensive inoculation and harvest process, and also because it is sacred and beautiful, true oude is very expensive. The link you gave in your post no longer works, but I doubt that anyone could offer genuine aguru at this price. (More likely, the item sold was some natural substance, like inexpensive woods, scented with a perfume oil.)

If you want to experience the substance, my recommendation would be to either go to the Olfactory Rescue Service blog, and read suggestions under the tag "kyara," or get the pure ingredient, sustainably harvested, from Katlyn's site here.

Fem_phoenix, my three favourite sites for incense shopping are Mermade Magickal Arts, Alchemy Works, and Fred Soll. All are handmade, natural, high-quality. Mermade (Katlyn) carries many lovely single ingredients and does really beautiful work with resins in particular; her specialty is frankincense. AW (Harold) has more of a ceremonial magic/Western focus in his creations, but he too offers great ingredients, and the incenses (as well as oils) he creates are brilliant. Finally, there's Fred Soll if you prefer sticks to loose incense; he rolls his sticks with a base of piñon pine resin from his home in the American Southwest, and oh, are they ever lovely. (His site is only deficient in description, alas, so if you'd like opinions on any of his - or any from the places I've mentioned - please ask.)
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Thread Information