Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incense Thoughts

Incense Thoughts

Namaste,

Since the conversation here http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...hlight=incense doesn't show any signs of diminishing and it's largely no longer strictly about the OP's topic, I'm taking Indraneela's suggestion to heart and starting this thread.

I personally love incense. When I was in a temple and they waved it around it truly felt infused with something sacred. So, I burn it almost every day.

It would be nice if a mod could move all that great information from the above thread here. Mana and Indraneela had so much good information posted there! Is that possible?

I ordered these samples from Fred Soll:

Amber, Honey Sample (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 Cinnamon, Spicy (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 Dragon's Blood (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 Hemp, Happy (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 Rose, Joyous (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 Spice, Santa Fe (1 Stick) $1.00 $1.00
    > 1 White Sage & Dragon's Blood

I'll let you know what I think when I get 'em!! :-) Can't wait!

Re: Incense Thoughts

Namasté,

I hope that more folks join in the discussion, as I could talk about it for days - as the earlier thread clearly indicates...

Amala, very much looking forward to your reviews; of that list, I've only tried the Honey Amber and the Joyous Rose (which are both sweet and appealing).

I'll ask a question to you, and to anyone else reading: Do you currently have any favourite(s) blends, brands, scents that you offer to particular Deva(s)?

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Vannakkam Indra: As you are probably aware, there are review sites online like this one: http://olfactoryrescueservice.wordpr...reviews-index/

It could be a long study. I like how it refreshes the subconscious mind to a time and place. If a particular scent is used, it may well remind you of a particular temple, and time. Kind of like some shortcut to a pleasant area of mind. Here's the lighter sandalwood variety I really like: http://www.minimela.com/index.php?ma...roducts_id=492

Aum Namasivaya

Namasté,

That is truly magical: the ability to bring a bit of the temple home with you. Scent is so evocative, including the property of reminding you of a sacred place, or even making a place more sacred by its presence...

I first saw - and smelled - pārijāta flowers in Bangalore last year. Now I have a pārijāta incense in my room and a scented hand cream that I wear at work. Brings me right back...

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste,

I am so immersed in Shiva that I don't think much about other devas/deviis. Others come in, for sure - Krsna, Paarvatii, Kaalii, .. - but not regularly. My use of incense as more than something that smells nice is also new. So for now this is only experimentation. But I'll keep my antenna up. I do believe that the traits of the gods are traits within each of us that can be enhanced through many means and the sense of smell is a strong one for some of us.

How about you, Indraneela? Do you use particular ones for particular devas/deviis?

Namasté,

Amala, well-spoken, especially regarding the possibility of enhancing certain traits and qualities within us through the vehicle of scent.

Regarding specific incenses, there were/are a few.

I observe Mahālakṣmī Vrata, and during that time I burn Maroma Lotus incense for Lakṣmī. It is very sweet, and reminds me greatly of bounty and blessings. When I had it, I also burned Fred Soll's Moonlight Jasmine for her.

There are two I burn(ed) for Śiva; the first is Nitiraj which I mentioned in a prior post - perhaps it is the word's similarity to Nāṭaraja, or maybe that the complex spice reminds me of the difficulty of austerity. The other I have not been able to get for a while, but it was Fred Soll's Red Sandalwood With Special Herbs. The scent is also conducive to deep meditation and hence seemed appropriate.

When still married, I observed a few of the special fasts to be kept by wives for their husbands; during these, I burned Maroma's Snow Musk for Pārvatī; the very name reminded me of Pārvatī's place in the stark mountains, inseparable from Śiva. I also used Soll's Joyous Rose, because of Pārvatī's joy in attaining Śiva after long austerity. (It was doubly apt, as Fred created that incense blend for his wife Joy.)

For Indra, the list is long: anything delicate, floral and/or spicy, and unusual, perhaps with a touch of opulence. Favourites are Maroma's Ambergris Tuberose, Pure's Pārijāta, Soll's Ceremonial Rain, and Shroff's Jungle Prince.

There were other incenses that I used for other forms of God, in past religions and past times, as well. But suffice it here for now.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Namaste All

Maybe you learned folk can help me; I am fascinated to know of the smell of spikenard in incense, said to be a great mind relaxant and used in traditional Himalayan practis.

If any one has any clues as to how I might find out in which incense it is contained and in its most basic form; I should be fascinated to know its smell!
    I would be very grateful for any advise.

You are quite right Indraneela; the power of smell over our minds is quite phenomenal, it can invoke such deep rooted memory's. I should love to make this association within my practise!

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 24 April 2012 at 10:24 PM.

Namasté,

Mana, apologies that I took so long to see and reply to this!

I have very little experience with spikenard at all, but do recall that the scent is surprising. I thought it would be floral, but it's herby/woody/earthy, rather strange. It is more commonly used in incenses from Tibet and Nepal, than the varieties from India and America which are my preference.

I did a few searches, and the Olfactory Rescue Service blog recommends Stupa spikenard incense as a good, relatively inexpensive example of the fragrance.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste Indraneela,

Oh that's no bother at all, I am in no hurry. Thank you kindly for replying, I shall order some as I am intrigued to know its smell, it is supposed to greatly relax the mind. Anything that will help a little for focusing the mind, will be greatly welcomed!

The box set looks like a nice present idea as well!

praNAma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya

I love incense, since I'm a native hindu, mum, she uses it often the smell is delightful!
    Last edited by IcyCosmic; 07 May 2012 at 02:18 AM.

Thread Information