Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incense Thoughts

Re: Incense Thoughts

Namaste All

Anyone burn Frankincense incense? For some reason I like that a lot. I like other scents as well, but just wondering if other Hindus use it for worship and or meditation as I do.

Try it sometime! Though it might be a little difficult to locate. Frankincense with Myrrh sticks are super as well, and a little easier to find.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namaste Incense Experts and Fans

I mentioned Frankincense, I recall it being referenced on a Tamil Hindu website as being used for the temple of a Deva. So for fun, I did do a quick search on the web, and while I didn't find the Tamil site (though I didn't try very hard to locate it since I am using my cell phone to open the HDF) I did find something right away that I think might be fun to share.

Chitragupta Dev is considered a Son of Brahma, and He currently sits at the Right Hand of Yamaraj. He is considered a scholar, He scribes events related to souls, and He has Qualities somewhat like Saraswati. In His puja, scribe pen and paper are offered and frankincense incense is used!

So since I like this scent, I found this interesting. But like anything else, I suppose a lot of incense blends are used and there are other Devas who like Frankincense.

So it brings up an interesting thought, are specific scents recommended in the worship and meditation of certain Devas and Devi? Of course the answer must be yes, but a list would be nice!

Om Namah Sivaya

Quote Originally Posted by ShivaFan View Post
    Namaste All

Anyone burn Frankincense incense? For some reason I like that a lot. I like other scents as well, but just wondering if other Hindus use it for worship and or meditation as I do.

Try it sometime! Though it might be a little difficult to locate. Frankincense with Myrrh sticks are super as well, and a little easier to find.

Om Namah Sivaya
    Namaste,

I have not tried Frankincense, but I know it was available at the shop I went to to purchase my first incense yesterday. I believe Myrrh was also available. I don't think I've ever smelled either. Is a subtle fragrance, or more powerful?

Peace!
    "God will not have his work made manifest by cowards."
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namasté,

Anyone burn Frankincense incense?
    I've offered both frankincense blends (Mermade Midsummer and Fred Soll Sweet Frankincense Ancient Blend) and some wonderful loose frankincense resins (Mermade again, which has a whole section of different frankincenses from various regions) - but generally, I almost never burn frankincense. I associate it so much with the Sun, and particularly with solar-aspected gods like Ra and Apollon, that it's been difficult to translate that scent to my Hindu practice.

Another nice use for frankincense is as a taste; high-grade Maydi can be chewed like chewing gum. It's lovely to calm the mind, and also helps with anxious feelings, nervous stomach, and other such difficulties.

Is a subtle fragrance, or more powerful?
    Jodhaa, frankincense is a very "bright" fragrance that can sometimes have balsamic, sharp, or citrus qualities. A good frankincense will be a lively wake-up call. A bad one will be the olfactory equivalent of someone yelling in your ears.

So it brings up an interesting thought, are specific scents recommended in the worship and meditation of certain Devas and Devi? Of course the answer must be yes, but a list would be nice!
    I've never run across such a text, but if one exists surely someone here will be able to correct me. If not, then members could create such a list in this thread, simply by posting ideas.

Some thoughts about choosing scents:
    Colours: If one's deity is associated with any particular colours, then flowers/fruits of that hue could be a good starting point.
    Places: Where one's deity "lives" or is worshipped - forest, mountain, ocean, etc. - could be a nice beginning when considering incense ingredients.
    Stories: Plants appear in many Hindu tales. Of course, not all of them are suitable for burning - I'd hate to smell a turmeric incense! - but reading stories of one's chosen Deva may reveal some good ideas.
    Other Offerings: Consider what else your Deva likes. Gaṇeśa loves sweets, for instance, so I would consider any sweet-smelling incense - like cocoa, coconut, or champa blends - to be nice for him.

Then, of course, there are personal inspirations. For instance, if you have a dream or experience involving your Deva, and a certain plant or scent - even if it's not a traditional offering to that God, you could still choose to offer it as an incense. Also, if you live outside of India, consider your own region; non-Indian plants may still be appropriate in terms of energies and associations. A fascinating account of incense "translation" may be found here, to give one example. (They're both gorgeous, for the record, though unfortunately no longer available.)
    "What was, what is, what will be: I am That." -from BÄá¹£kalamantra Upaniá¹£ad

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namasté,

Nice thread =)
    Yes, I'm rather fond of it myself.

I just burned my first stick of incense this morning. It was Cedar.
    Cedar is marvelous for the mind, a healing, clarifying fragrance. I like it far better than other incense with similar effects, like sage.

--I found a "low smoke" incense and so far the detectors are behaving themselves.
    I am told the Japanese "smokeless" variety is best for this, but I can't speak from personal experience, as I've not tried it. There is also an electric burner on the market that you can use for loose incense and resin tears; the burner warms the plant material and releases the fragrance.

Unfortunately, the incenses with the lightest, most elegant scents are often the most expensive, and not something that most could afford for daily worship. I have a few blends that I keep for very special occasions!
    What are your special occasions scents, if you don't mind me asking? I literally have no concept of incense and it's purported benefits to the mind and body, but the woman at the shop I want to was very helpful. She recommended trying "lighter" scents like sage, lavender and cedar to start.

There was "incense powder" available at the shop I went to which I thought was fascinating but sounded a little messy. You rub the powder into a special grooved burner and then light one end.

I have a question about the smoke too - Is it similar to cigarette smoke in that the smell stays in fabrics? I ask because I'm not sure what my apartment complex's rules about "smoke damage" are. I suppose it can't be that much different than lighting a scented candle, but I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Namaste Indraneela

Wow, great advice you shared! I will take into account all of it.

Indraneela says "Stories: Plants appear in many Hindu tales. Of course, not all of them are suitable for burning - I'd hate to smell a turmeric incense! - but reading stories of one's chosen Deva may reveal some good ideas."

I have been sort of doing a layman study of plants in India and in relation to the Histories of the Devas and Devi, in this case the reason has to do with a paper I am writing on poison arrows used in the battlefields of India, in the Ramayana, and also a subsection on Sanjevanee plant and what is a cure for the poison on poison arrows. This is a great idea in regard to Plants you gave.

Om Namah Sivaya

Namasté,

I have a question about the smoke too - Is it similar to cigarette smoke in that the smell stays in fabrics?
    My room is smaller than the 12 x 12 space you mentioned in your earlier post, and I haven't had any problems with my clothes or living space. (I rent a room in a house, too, so my roommate would surely tell me if I were wrecking her home with smoke damage.) For reference: I burn a regular stick or cone each day.

What are your special occasions scents, if you don't mind me asking?
    I don't mind; they are sandalwood and ambergris. The genuine material of each is rare and the incenses hand-blended, hence costly. (Both ingredients also come with potential ethical issues, hence there are only two incense-makers I trust for either.)

I think the lady at the shop gave you good advice; all three scents you've named are cleansing and thought-clearing.

I have been sort of doing a layman study of plants in India--
    ShivaFan, I have a PDF file with many stories about Indian plants. It's on my home computer, but if you think it would help you, I'd be glad to send it along later this evening.

Namaste Indraneela
    That would be super! I think you can use the email link on my profile to send a PDF?

Namasté,

I just sent it along. I hope it benefits your research.

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    Namasté,

I have a question about the smoke too - Is it similar to cigarette smoke in that the smell stays in fabrics?
    My room is smaller than the 12 x 12 space you mentioned in your earlier post, and I haven't had any problems with my clothes or living space. (I rent a room in a house, too, so my roommate would surely tell me if I were wrecking her home with smoke damage.) For reference: I burn a regular stick or cone each day.
    Thank you for the reassurance! I know I wouldn't mind the cedar smell sticking to me, but you never know how sensitive people's noses are. I used to have a roommate that had to give scented candle stores a lot of room when passing them in the mall on on the street. She was so sensitive to the smell it would make her physically ill, no matter what the predominant scent.

Peace!
    ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thread Information