Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about being a hindu?

Question How do you feel about being a hindu?

It can be difficult at times
    In England, the omnipotent presence of abrahamic religions is at times depressing. I love all religions, I respect them all, I learn from them all - but its when they are ignorant and say things like 'oh you worship like 100 million gods your religion is fake'..... or ...... 'your gods have like 10 hands thats stupid'......'so your uncle might have been a dog in the past life, that make so sense'......

Luckily I understand Hinduism to a certain extent so I can explain the symbolic depth and the levels of understanding to these individuals, but it seems as if Hindus respect everyone, but no one respects us. Being a loud and agressive personality myself it just boils my blood. To add to that all the Hindus around me know nothing about our dharma. Sure being disorganized as a religion has multiple advantages but atleast the muslims all understand their religion even if they dont abide by it. It's a shame how such a small % of hindus understand ANYTHING past just saying Aum Namah Shivaya and worshipping the gods and the festivals. Bare bones knowledge. I'm referring specifically to the youth, I'm the only one who has read the Gita. Even the elders are bewildered...Oh well...Nothing you can do I guess... haha....just wanted to get this off my chest....

Something I find relieving is intelligent atheists (not the ones who use it as an excuse to be immoral fools) find much light in hinduism and respect the scientific depth and the layered philosophy laced throughout our scriptures advanced thought that they have never been exposed to from a religion.

and know peoples opinions? how do you feel being a hindu? I'm hearing that they are suppressed in India also? That's a mighty shame.

Re: How do you feel about being a hindu?

Vannakam Icy: I love being Hindu! Can't think of any negatives at all really. What others outside the dharma do or say is more or less irrelevant. As for Britain being an intolerant place, I think perhaps the Bible Belt of America could be worse. I haven't lived in each to compare.

I think we have to be careful regarding what we teach the children. If it isn't balanced with humor, a sense of being up to date, some logical well-explained wisdom, it can be a real turn-off. I see this especially with the Puranas. Kids are really smart these days. They're no longer suckers for the old rote memory methods, or silly outdated stories that begin with 'Back when I was a kid', or 'Back in India'.

For example, I think taking a kid to a Ganesha temple to hear the sounds, see the rituals, sing some bhajans, watch others participate etc. is probably far more valuable and current than reading him the story of how Ganesha's head got cut off.

Kind of the difference between a school field trip, and just reading a book on the subject.

Aum Namasivaya

IcySFX,
    I'm very proud to be Hindu and born in India. If I get human form every life I would want to be nothing but Hindu. You should let such people make fool out of themselves and refrain from entering a dialogue with them. Politics to some extent is ok but religion is never a topic for discussion.
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

It is the knowledge which can remove all the insecurity of the mind. I am not responsible for spiritual advancement of others as I have limited control or no control over others.

I have some control over what I do. So it "you" who you should be more focused on.

Study a lot and that will bring lots of clarity and lots confidence. It is not to convince others but yourself.

Which ever suits you - choose that path and move ahead.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Namaste IcyFX,

I understand the weariness and frustration one can feel when faced with
    yet another example of ignorant and insecure attempts at mockery;
    your post reminded me of my feelings upon coming across Franklin Graham
    (son of famous evangelist Billy Graham)'s absurd and empty statement:

No elephant with 100 arms can do anything for me. None of their 9,000 gods is going to lead me to salvation.

Yet, there has always been someone powerful, influential and wealthy
    saying and thinking things like this, and far worse.
    Though I will never turn a blind eye to those who ever seek to grind us
    under their heel, or underestimate the depth of their error,
    still better to guard against the shadripu, the "six enemies" who never sleep..
    for how can I help my brother stand, if my own back is broken?

Consider- why should I not feel happy and proud, when a young man of
    18 is showing concern and thoughtfulness for Sanatana Dharma, instead
    of embracing the shallow, impulsive, and materialistic values that the
    young are bombarded with daily?

You are not the only one, I am sure- and while you may be "loud and
    aggressive", when others see you are not ashamed of who you are,
    the honesty and integrity will speak louder and longer than mannerisms;
    the heroes and sages are remembered and revered not for doing what
    was popular- but for doing what was right

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

Namaste,

I could be considered an 'in the closet Hindu' as I have not yet completley 'came out' with the exception of close family and friends. I am not at all ashamed to be have begun this journey, but I fear that if I tell my coworkers and others they will be react in a way that Icy had mentioned, I won't be able to properly defend myself or SD because people like to interrupt me when I am explaining things, then laugh and walk away. I don't do so well with explaining things under pressure anyway. For know, I'm absorbing as much as I can until I have the confidence to speak of it with others. I hope that I am understanding it properly so as to not shine a bad light.

Privately, I am enjoying it and am satisfied. I feel that SD found me through my many wonderings about existence, only I didn't know what it was until a few months back. It was like breathing fresh air for the first time, because it was validation of what I felt to be the truth. SD has vastly improved my perception of Universe, world, and creatures on earth, as I feel more connected to them due to this validation. I don't think there's anything greater than SD.

Leena

Quote Originally Posted by JaiMaaDurga View Post
    Namaste IcyFX,

Consider- why should I not feel happy and proud, when a young man of
    18 is showing concern and thoughtfulness for Sanatana Dharma, instead
    of embracing the shallow, impulsive, and materialistic values that the
    young are bombarded with daily?
    Thankyou.

Thanks for the replies everyone, also don't take it wrong I love being a hindu sometimes there is just frustration from the lack of open-mindedness or willingness to learn something they don't understand from other people. That's all.

Also @Leena I understand your position, but I'm sure people of your age would be far more mature in discussing things like this (hopefully) - and perhaps some of them might be interested or learning about SD themselves! Good luck.

Namaste IcySFX All,

I feel releaved to have discovered my path in sanAtana dharma, The wisdom of so many great rsi sages and saints; such a beautiful tradition. I feel that finding my roots here has lead me to being a better person and has helped me greatly in understanding my self and its relation to reality and Siva. It has given me a direction in life where I had none.

As is the case for Leena, it is difficult for me to be open about my beliefs in my current life situation; but this is happening greatly helped by my mAlA.

I am very open about it, but I receive a lot of jibes and jokes, this depends very much of course, on with whom we speak.
    I have read much great advice on dealing with this in the superb writings of Swami Sivananda.

It can be very frustrating; Upon recently coming to know that Jyotish is very real as a science; in speaking of this. It feels strangle to be ridiculed by the most intelligent of people, when they have not even taken the time to examine the subject.

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 01 May 2012 at 01:22 AM.

That makes alot of sense, Mana.
    What is MAlA? Mala?
    Thanks for your response.

Thread Information