Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do you think?

Re: What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    Thank you for the replies. I was wondering.
    The first Brahma Sutra is:

Athato Brahmajijnasa

Now, had I not read that or had it been wiped out of existence (the sastra that is) is not possible that this 'jijnasa' would arise in a human being by itself?

Does a human really need to read this first to have the Jijnasa? I would venture to say no.

My point is that sastra confirms what 'is' and that 'is' can be dis-covered by a person by him or herself.
    Yes of course, that truth was also known long before the Brahma sutra was written, by even more ancient cultures than the Indian, like the ancient eqyptians, can we therefore say that hindus have rediscovered and are therefore following the pharonic religion? So can we say that future generations will still be Hindus simply because they have rediscovered a similar truth? Then why not embrace Communism, Capitalism, Atheism, Christianity or Islam even in these religions or ideolgies some people have discovered some truths.

There will never be any culture that is entirely wrong about everything, everywhere partial truth have been discovered, is therefore everyone who has ever lived and discovered something valuable and correct or truthful automatically a Hindu?
    By the way this is an established islamic doctrine. Muslims say Islam is the true religion and everyone is automatically born a Muslim and has become a dirty kufar only later in life, due to the influence of distorted Religions, and therefore has the duty to reverse to this only original truth. This is a dangerous idea. Hindus should not belive something similar about Hinduism.

Just this morning, I read the following

The five great Acharyas: Sri Sankara the exponent of Kevala
    Advaita or uncom promising monism, Sri Ramanuja the exponent of
    Visishtadvaita or qualified monism, Sri Nimbarka the exponent of
    Bhedabheda-vada, Sri Madhva the ex ponent of strict Dvaitism or
    Dvaita-vada and Sri Vallabha the exponent of Suddhadvaita-vada or
    pure monism agree that Brahman is the cause of this world and that
    knowledge of Brahman leads to Moksha or the final emancipation,
    which is the goal of life. They also emphatically declared that Brah -
    man can be known only through the scriptures and not through mere
    reasoning. But they dif fer amongst them selves as to the nature of this Brah man.
    source: Sri Swami Sivananda, BrahmaSutras.pdf

Well, I guess that puts an end to my query. I withdraw my comments.
    satay

Pranam

Off course if we go by historical facts as presented, we would be forced to believe that so and so culture was before or after, and then come up all sorts of answers. Unfortunately the historical facts, keep changing the goal post from AIT to earth being flat not so long ago, I can put my faith on this historians or I can put my faith Vedic literature which survived two brutal invasion. Vedas are an oral tradition still alive and kicking, set in musical tone if a peice is missing or added the whole thing would fall. There is lot to learn from it, I would rather put my faith in it then someone looking at fossil then coming up with 2+2=5

Namaste Satay, All

To my mind, No. I see Hinduism as as a reflection of satya sanAtana dharma, and as such the name is just that, a word, the body and soul would remain the same no mater what language is used to describe it.

I get the distinct impression, from my limited knowledge of the shastras and saṃskṛtam that this wisdom and knowledge; evolved with our conciousness, intellect and language. We have in these works a recording of Siva's finest self expression. Though us he replicates him self, were we to lose these words of divine grace and divination, they could not be replaced with out first our losing our speech, and knowledge of the cosmos, and self.

Given a similar circumstance in which Śivas' reproduction generated another intelligent life form capable of inheriting speech and knowledge of self, then we might see the growth of a similar magnitude and importance as the self realises the Self. But for us to start a new, with the minds that we have, I should say that; I do not think that we are capable in our current condition.

The key is the process or the path its self, it is also Śiva, and time herself opens like a flower, the lotus of Viṣṇu.

The shastras are to my mind, the building blocks of God conciousness within Atman.

I believe that all the seers, see essentially the same thing, it is how that this is expressed which differs; dependent upon time and place.

But the vision, I believe, is always the same; through out the entire universe ...

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 02 May 2012 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by maraji View Post
    Pranam

Off course if we go by historical facts as presented, we would be forced to believe that so and so culture was before or after, and then come up all sorts of answers. Unfortunately the historical facts, keep changing the goal post from AIT to earth being flat not so long ago, I can put my faith on this historians or I can put my faith Vedic literature which survived two brutal invasion. Vedas are an oral tradition still alive and kicking, set in musical tone if a peice is missing or added the whole thing would fall. There is lot to learn from it, I would rather put my faith in it then someone looking at fossil then coming up with 2+2=5
    Only two examples:

Puranas say the Sun is closer to the earth than the Moon, can that be held as a truth even today?

Yoga shastras say whether a child is male female or hermaphroditic depends on the amount of the mixed menstrual blood and sperm in the intercourse, if there is more blood it will be a girl more sperm a boy can that be held true today?

You are free to base you understanding of human history on any pramana you like, there are even people who still belive in flat earth or hollow earth with a central sun within the earth and nonetheless manage to supply their family with food and shelter.

Pranam

We have a saying hathi ne maan, kidi ne kaan, meaning tone for an elephant and a grain for an ant, so nothing new here.

Well thank you for granting me my freedom but then I am use it Krishna gave us that freedom, I am sure you are aware of what he said to Arjun in the end.

Coming back to Puran, you are aware that is smriti, not only that it is so Puran that it speaks not just of this kalpa but several others so take your pick as for yoga shastra I don't know much or which one you mean but it does not matter, I simply have no faith on many so call historical facts that you have brought here

Pranam

We have a saying hathi ne maan, kidi ne kaan, meaning tone for an elephant and a grain for an ant, so nothing new here.

Well thank you for granting me my freedom but then I am use it Krishna gave us that freedom, I am sure you are aware of what he said to Arjun in the end.

Coming back to Puran, you are aware that is smriti, not only that it is so Puran that it speaks not just of this kalpa but several others so take your pick as for yoga shastra I don't know much or which one you mean but it does not matter, I simply have no faith on many so call historical facts that you have brought here
    Yes of course that makes sense, i am glad you enlightened me, during the last kalpa the sun was closer to the earth, and the moon far away, one kalpa earlier the earth was flat, in the kalpa before that the amount of menstrual blood decided the gender of the child, and one before that the earth was hollow and the sun inside.

What historical facts are you referring to that i mentionend and you disagree with?

That Hinduism, like it is today, with deities dressed and attired in jewelry in a particular way, according to local customs like Shiva, Surya, Ganapati, Hanuman, Rama, Krishna and Parvati has not stayed for Millions of years always the same just like it is now?

That the pharaonic eqyptians had already texts that talk of the unity of man with the primordial deity that are of an earlier date than the Brahma sutras? Indeed existed way before Indians had used written characters?

Whatever Hindus belive about the eternality of Hinduism, and the activity of Avataras to restore the Dharma, while they sit by and watch them proceed it should not prevent them from also acting on their own and from protecting Hinduism against its enemies, and from preserving what is left of the ancient culture, religion and lifestyle of Bharata by themselves.

Everything does not depend on the deities, the deities may be eternal, but without hindus that are protecting India, hindu lifestyle, religion and culture, Hinduism will certainly be non existing. To be preserved Hinduism needs you hindus as much as it need the deities, if there are no hindus and nothing remains of Indias religious traditions and culture there will also be no need for a Kalki avatara to appear.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 02 May 2012 at 04:20 PM.

Pranam
    Your sarcasm is a sign of either extreme ego or an attempt to hide your insecurity. You have completely ignored the fact, I had mentioned is that Puranas are smriti text as such not regarded as Pramanas. Even though it does hold high regards in Hindu thinking but many things in there are not fully understood, also having been tampered with by various enemies of the faith, it can not be fully relied upon unless scrutinised by dharma guru. I have not come across in the Puranas and you have failed to provide any evidence, I took your word for it, are you parroting what you have heard on the internet?
    That the pharaonic eqyptians had already texts that talk of the unity of man with the primordial deity that are of an earlier date than the Brahma sutras? Indeed existed way before Indians had used written characters?
    I do not know what the hack you are on about or what you are trying to prove, as I said before I have very little faith on those so called academic historical event tinged with bias. I am not denying the different culture existed and some of them may have even perish, but humanity have existed since the creation a lot longer then the academia would have us believe. New frontiers are discovered everyday, the recent find of submerged Dwarka city , will have to rewrite the history, so who is bothered? Naa, I put my faith on the living vibrant civilisation the Hindu of way of life which survived brutal occupation which I dare say will survive regardless. One thing we may agree on is Dharma Raksit Raksitha, I don’t think anyone needs lesson on this

Pranam
    Your sarcasm is a sign of either extreme ego or an attempt to hide your insecurity.
    No it is just for the LuLz
    You have completely ignored the fact, I had mentioned is that Puranas are smriti text as such not regarded as Pramanas. Even though it does hold high regards in Hindu thinking but many things in there are not fully understood, also having been tampered with by various enemies of the faith, it can not be fully relied upon unless scrutinised by dharma guru. I have not come across in the Puranas and you have failed to provide any evidence, I took your word for it, are you parroting what you have heard on the internet?
    That is standard puranic cosmology, there is no need for quotes.
    I do not know what the hack you are on about or what you are trying to prove, as I said before I have very little faith on those so called academic historical event tinged with bias. I am not denying the different culture existed and some of them may have even perish, but humanity have existed since the creation a lot longer then the academia would have us believe.
    Primates have lived here for 65 millon years how much more time does a Hindu need to accept academia as a valid pramana? If it is just the duration of time humanity has existed, that is bothering you, maybe we can find some arrangement. It would promote the Dharma if the claims of modern Hindus are not outrageously unlikely or ridicilously exaggerated.
    New frontiers are discovered everyday, the recent find of submerged Dwarka city , will have to rewrite the history, so who is bothered?
    It has been long proven to be just some natural formation, only a lunatic fringe still belives that hoax.
    Naa, I put my faith on the living vibrant civilisation the Hindu of way of life which survived brutal occupation which I dare say will survive regardless. One thing we may agree on is Dharma Raksit Raksitha, I don’t think anyone needs lesson on this
    How long it will survive also depends on how attractive it is to the younger urban generations , who are globalized, more educated and less repressed by outdated errors, codes of conduct, rules and regulations that are often remnants and admixture of british victorian rule and islamic repressive codes of conduct but also backward and irrational aspects of Hinduism, that run contrary to todays enhanced knowledge of science, history, medicine, astronomy and physics. Indian culture was never based on blind faith but always on yogic experience, inquiry, debate and scientific exploration. Hinduism was about Knowledge of Atman (atmajanana) and one would follow the science of Brahman (Brahmavidya) and there was never a rule to still stick to blind beliefs just because they were written down in some sacred book, even when obviously proven wrong.
    Last edited by MahaHrada; 03 May 2012 at 06:40 AM.

Pranam

That is standard puranic cosmology, there is no need for quotes.
    In other words you have no idea what you are talking about.
    Primates have lived here for 65 millon years how much more time does a Hindu need to accept academia as a valid pramana? ------- It would promote the Dharma if the claims of modern Hindus are not outrageously unlikely or ridicilously exaggerated.
    As long as we have to rely on dead all thing material this soul would never be satisfied. You are welcome to believe in many theories which includes, evolution which has long been disproved but still pass as knowledge because they have no proof of any alternative. And you want me to place my trust in them!
    It has been long proven to be just some natural formation, only a lunatic fringe still belives that hoax.
    That is preciously my point, it is a hoax because it is outlandish claim or was it, bbc reported it, I am not saying that makes it true. But like everything else lunatics who has nothing better to do change their minds more often then their underwear. So what is acceptable to you is scientific but others are lunatics.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1768109.stm 19th jan 2002
    And now some of the latest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQZFS9Hij0M
    I do not base my faith in all these , what you call lunatics , you have not monopolised that word I hope.

How long it will survive also depends on how attractive it is to the younger urban generations , who are globalized, more educated and less repressed by outdated errors, codes of conduct, rules and regulations that are often remnants and admixture of british victorian rule and islamic repressive codes of conduct but also backward and irrational aspects of Hinduism, that run contrary to todays enhanced knowledge of science, history, medicine, astronomy and physics. Indian culture was never based on blind faith but always on yogic experience, inquiry, debate and scientific exploration. Hinduism was about Knowledge of Atman (atmajanana) and one would follow the science of Brahman (Brahmavidya) and there was never a rule to still stick to blind beliefs just because they were written down in some sacred book, even when obviously proven wrong.
    Mixed with some truth you never fail to attack Hindus, Dharma has never been about how attractive you make for people, in fact if you read the Upanisad it discourages the student, test his resolve, it is like walking on a double edge sword not for weak minded person. Urban generation is probably a lost cause chasing material opulent. Rules and regulation are well documented nothing to do with Victorian or Islamic influence. Who said there was a rule to blind follow anything, god all you have to read is Gita last chapter and last few words will give you an idea. As I say you mix few good words here and there and pose a saviour of Hindu Dharma does not wash with me.

Thread Information