Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is eating plants a vegetarianism? *if yes then how?*

1. Re: Is eating plants a vegetarianism? *if yes then how?*

Quote Originally Posted by Shivam View Post
    ---------------------
    Are you trying to defend eating flesh by this? Somebody have strayed you to believe in something that is already answered in different Dharma Grantham.

Plants don't have any soul, neither they are made of blood or flesh.
    Plants are the gift of nature and not something that grow or die type, it is called grow and die just to make someone understand about botany.

Many plants can be grown only when farmers sow their own parts, plants produce seeds only when they rot, but this is not possible with any living being. You just don't need to destroy the place where you grow plants, just as you don't need to cut down tree, trees have life but you will grow another tree only when you will cut the fruit and get the seed out of it.

This is vegetarianism

Breehimattam yavamattamatho maashamatho tilam
    Esha vaam bhaago nihito ratnadheyaaya dantau maa hinsishtam pitaram maataram cha
    (Atharvaveda 6.140.2)
    Eat the vegetables, rice, barley, grins, sesame; these cereals are specifically meant for teeth to eat. Don't kill living beings for food, they are capable to become parents of other living beings.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Re: Is eating plants a vegetarianism? *if yes then how?*

praNAm
    @param thanks FOR THE SUTRA, With your help and some logic I have found the answer, plant eating is not violence because plants can be reproduced even after being cut by grafting onto the stems of other plant. they dont have flesh and blood. Thanks.

it is absurd that plant has no souls.the what about yamla-arjuna trees which got liberated by child krishna? Dr Bose also proved the pleasure and pain of plants and also they communicate. Again last month in a research ,its proved that plants communicate fellow plants about any impending danger by transmittig chemicals.

Hindu scripture definitely prescribe the solutions. It has asked us to pray the plant before plucking a flower for worshiping and asking to forgive for the pain he is going to give to the plant by plucking the flowers and also dont take extra then necessary.this is even applying to plucking fruits,reaping paddy,wheats and doing pujas.

Seeds/cereals is called brahman in vedas and he has taken this form for our survivals.

The amount of violence committed by killing a animal to plant is enormous. And that violent pain/thought is carried to our body via food.

Mostly the cereals/Dals etc we eat are harvested from dead or naturally dying corps.
    Man-naathah Shri Jagan-nathah Mat-guru-shri jagad-guruhu.
    Mad-atma sarva-bhutatma tasmai Shri Gurave Namah.

My Lord is the Lord of Universe; My teacher is the teacher of the
    entire universe; and my Self is the Self of all. My salutations at the lotus-feet
    of such a Guru, who has revealed such knowledge to me.

anirvan,
    I agree that plants can communicate and show symptoms of life because of the life force acting through the nature. But I don't think plants have souls..any expert comments?
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Namaste,

I think I brought this up as a subject some years ago and the conclusion many members came to was much the same as it is now. And that is that while adhering to a vegetarian diet is the best way to follow the basic tenet of Sanatana Dharma which is ahimsa and showing compassion for sentient beings, this does not mean that plants are to be considered a lesser life-form or soul-less beings. If anything, they can be considered the highest contributor to life because it is from them that we receive our energy from life-giving Surya. And as Devotee says you need energy to survive. No physical body on this planet can live for very long with sustenance from another lifeform. This is why the Vedas claim "jiva jivasya jivanam" - life depends on and exists on life (via nourishment). Before the Buddha attained enlightenment he had taken ahimsa far too literally and nearly died from starvation and malnourishment, before he seen for himself how pointless this was. As with all things virtuous and harmonious, there is a middle path to tread here. Plants feed all other creatures on earth. Even carnivores indirectly (and directly when they need help with digestion) eat from plants to survive. The fate of every creature on earth depends on plants, flowers, trees. I think it's a good topic to consider it while becoming used to a vegetarian lifestyle. IMO, it shows thought, compassion and sensitivity that is starting to extend itself beyond humans and animals. The key really is in the attitude. A respect for what we eat, even if it is plants.

Not to turn this subject off its track, but another point I'd like to discuss. I'll be the first to say that I'm no expert when it comes to the scriptures, but I believe firmly that all beings have a soul, and that all beings make up the pieces that form Universal Consciousness, i.e. Brahman, regardless of whether or not they have sentience in the meaning that they possess active thought. Even a rock contains consciousness. How else does it interact with gravity and adhere to the law of physics? With this in mind, how can one claim so boldly that plants do not have souls? It's most strange when you consider that most of us believe that there is nothing the Self does not pervade!
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 04 May 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Quote Originally Posted by realdemigod View Post
    But I don't think plants have souls.
    Perhaps it may help if we are able to answer - What is a soul? Does it exist? If it does exist, is it perceived? Is it inferred? What is the relationship between cognition/awareness and soul?, etc., etc.

Does a stone have a soul? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Perhaps it may help if we are able to answer - What is a
    soul? Does it exist? If it does exist, is it perceived? Is it inferred? What is the relationship between cognition/awareness and soul?, etc., etc.

Does a stone have a soul? If yes, why? If not, why not?

Namaste Wondermunk,

Agreed that it would help, if that didn't start the ball rolling for a whole load of other questions, of which this would only be one, and a rather small one at that.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste,

A lot of good ideas have come up. I admire Sunyata's contribution indicating how Buddha realised the importance of "Middle Path".

We are not supposed to go to extremes :

1. This human body is an important tool for all Dharma-Saadhana (Spiritual journey). This is why in all Yoga-SAdhana, the first part taught is how to keep the body fit. However, this doesn't mean that we should give undue importance to this body by being attached to it. Not that but it has its purpose and we should try not to waste it just like that.

2. We cannot stop killing lives, as this is how this body is designed. There is no moment when the body defense system is killing millions of bacteria which attack this body-system. There is no breath which you can take without taking inside millions of bacteria. The food that we eat like yoghurt is full of bacteria and when you eat such food you are killing a number of bacteria in the process with your digestive juices and acid in the stomach. There are innumerable bacteria in our stomach which help us in digestion of food. When you are ill and have to take antibiotics, innumerable bacteria and life-forms in our body are killed whether benign or malignant.

3. There is no plant which is devoid of life and if you eat them you are killing something which is alive.

So, what to do ? What should an Eskimo do in winter in Greenland where there no vegetation in winter ? What should the people living in coastal area do whose main food is fish ?

So, let us not go to extremes. We all are supposed to follow the middle path. Lord Krishna says in Bhagwad Gita that an aspirant of Yoga must follow a life of middle path. We cannot attain Yoga (joining with the Reality) by adopting extreme life-styles.

Like what Sunyata suggested : The whole creation is food. We eat something considering it as food ... something else eat us (our body) by considering it as food.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Vannakkam: Eskimos, and other natives of Canada did recognise (How they figured it out, I have no idea) the need for the minerals and vitamins, so ate the stomach contents of caribou, rabbits, etc.

Just a tidbit.

Aum Namasivaya

10. Re: Is eating plants a vegetarianism? *if yes then how?*

Quote Originally Posted by anirvan View Post
    ------------------------

This is wrong information added in later parts, trees and other plats have soul but not eatable plants, vegetables that are produced by lord as food for human and vegetarian animals don't have soul. Cutting down trees is a violence but cutting down those yamla-arjuna trees was already mentioned that lard will release them by disrooting them as trees, they were already dead trees when their time was over.

Hinduism do not support any meat eating, and flesh eaters are making this as their logic with the help of meat eaters. You cannot bring seeds without cutting the fruits and letting the plant rot, this is the true natural way.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information