Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truth is One; Paths are Many

1. Re: Truth is One; Paths are Many

हरिः ओम्

Namaste kallol,

Quote Originally Posted by kallol View Post
    Dear Mana,

After going through your post, I have a feeling that you are distancing God beyond our dreams even. The risk is that the interpretations may be quite different at higher level and lead to conflicts at lower level.

Maybe we need distancing just a little from the Sun?

I am sorry that you feel this way, I don't think that this is the case.

This is the root reason as to why, I love Kashmir Shavism and the translations and explanations of Swami Lakshman Joo ...

God Conciousness must be experienced as well as read about. It feeds our writing it feeds our minds and our hearts; It is that which inspires all creativity.

There is an immense pleasure in reading, all the different descriptions of the Supreme and experiences of Śiva and those who have attained him.
    We might all strive to obtain and know this.
    Every attempt to describe this falls just a little short, how do you transfer multidimensional tecnicolour into verse text and script? So this evolves with us with time, as we evolve together as Humans, our conciousness as one.

I see no distance from God at all in this view, it implies a need for closeness; maybe it is my use of English that is disturbing?

I am trying to learn Sanskrit.

I think that my interpretation of the word mokṣa will then be disturbing for you also, but amongst adults, a don't think we need to worry about linguistics causing any fights; or do we?

I quite agree that one must respect the origins of dharma, this is essential. But I also believe that one needs actual experience of God Conciousness. In order to understand Universalism.

As explained in our Kashmir Shavism, any one can experience this for them selves,
    and we can all strive for this.

Universalism, to my mind, fits Kashmir Shavism perfectly.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 09 May 2012 at 01:49 PM.
    8i8

Re: Truth is One; Paths are Many

Dear Mana,

There is no iota of doubt in my mind about your understanding. That you are following Kashmir Shaivism also gives me some insight.

Happy journey.
    Love and best wishes:hug:

3. Re: Truth is One; Paths are Many

हरिः ओम्

Namaste kallol,

Thank you for your kind words.
    might it that Śiva enrich all of our paths with his divine blessings;
    bringing equanimity to all of our lives.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Namaste ANS,

Quote Originally Posted by Aum namah Śivāya View Post
    I do not dispute that traditional Hinduism teaches that one must have faith in the Vedas in order to reach liberationI just don't hold to that myself.

According to Paramhansa Yogananda, the way to reach liberation is through the achievement of nirbikalpa samadhi through meditation, and the working out of all one's physical karma. As far as I understand his teachings, those are the only requirements. Through the technique of Kriya Yoga that he brought to the west, people of all faiths have been able to advance quite far spiritually and even reach full liberation. His paramguru, Lahiri Mahasaya, taught that Kriya Yoga is accessible to all religions and has the power to bring anyone to moksha.

In my opinion, the belief is not the important part. Deep meditation on God will cause one to soon realize the true nature of reality, even if that reality is expressed in different terms than what a Hindu would use. The important part is devotion to God and advancement through meditation, chanting, and other spiritual practices. Slowly we withdraw the energy from the body and mind, and step by step realize God.
    The teachings of these Gurus are what the VedAnta says. The Nirvikalpa SamAdhi, meditation and various types of Yogas are all explained in the VedAnta (the last part of the VedAs or the epitome of the teachings of the VedAs).

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,

Indeed, but one does not need to know the words "nirbikalpa samadhi," "meditation," "karma," etc in order to reach liberation. For a Christian, it might be sufficient to know that one needs to be a good person and to devote oneself to God more and more in whatever way. Hopefully this devotion eventually brings one to inward contemplation/meditation in some way. For instance, there is a Catholic tradition of contemplative prayer, practiced by such saints as Teresa of Avila and John of the Cross that carries them to this same state. Teresa of Avila actually outlined seven interior "castles," corresponding with the chakras, of course, that one progresses through on the way to God union. So the traditions are not so different as you might think.

OM
    You can reach the destination even without a proper map with someone's guidance. It helps if you have a map and you can find your ways and direction.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Namaste,
    According to Paramhansa Yogananda, the way to reach liberation is through the achievement of nirbikalpa samadhi through meditation, and the working out of all one's physical karma. As far as I understand his teachings, those are the only requirements. Through the technique of Kriya Yoga that he brought to the west, people of all faiths have been able to advance quite far spiritually and even reach full liberation.
    OM
    Nirvikalpa Samadhi (NVS) is an experience. Experience by definition cannot be permanent. The feeling of oneness, intense joy experienced in NVS goes away in a few hours. Then you are back to square one. On the other hand liberation is permanent which is attained by knowledge, having a pure mind (Karma yoga, Bhakth yoga), and steady mind (Meditation helps here). It is the knowledge that "I am consciousness non different from God". That the world is Mithya and only Atma is Real". That knowledge is in the mind 24/7.

No you cannot work out all your physical Karmas. Every thought, and every action accumulates new Karma, good or bad. It never ends.

Also we cannot know if a person is liberated. His/her words can give an indication but in this day and age where excellent spiritual quotes are avauilable so easily anyone can fool. You might have heard of Swami Nithyananda.

This is the problem of reading non traditional Hindu Gurus. They do a lot of good, no doubt of getting people interested. But since they dont methodically teach Upanishads it gets confusing - at least that is what I have found. If you are interested in a traditional Guru's work you may want to go to the Sringeri Sarada temple in Stroudsburg, PA and check books of Acharyal.

http://www.svbf.org/home_page.php
    Last edited by Seeker123; 21 May 2012 at 02:25 PM.

Namaste,

Thread Title: Truth is One; Paths are Many

Hindu Equivalent: gods are many; Path is one - Bhakti

Pranam.

It might be helpful if we knew what the source of this quote "Truth is One; Paths are Many" was.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    It might be helpful if we knew what the source of this quote "Truth is One; Paths are Many" was.
    One source attributes it to Gandhi.

Another source attributes it to Sri Swami Satchidananda:
    http://www.lotus.org/docs/paths_are_many.htm

Paths are Many

by H. H. Sri Swami Satchidananda

The purpose of any religion is to educate us about our spiritual unity. Everything that God created belongs to all of us and to our future generations. The entire world belongs to us, to be shared by us as one family of God. Nobody can put a label and say, "This is mine alone." All the resources of the world are given to us for our use, and we have a responsibility as caretakers on this earth.

Truth is one. That is why my motto has always been, "Truth is One, Paths are Many." The great sages and saints have experienced the same truth but only expressed it in different ways. It does not matter what name you give to the nameless Spirit. The only way to eternal peace and joy is to realize that Christhood or Buddhahood or Krishnahood. But when we miss that point, we fight in the name of Spirit.

There are so many things that can separate and divide us. We say, "Im an American," or "Im an Australian." "I am white," or "I am black." "I am fat," or "I am thin," "I am a boy," or "I am a girl." "I am Christian," or "Im Hindu," or "Im a Jew." My color may be different from your color. Her color may be different from somebody elses color. We are all of various colors and hues because nature never makes duplicates. There is constant variety throughout the creation. But inside, we all have the same light; we are all made in the image of God. The same light is shining through many different colored lamps.

When we look at the outside alone, we will only see differences. But when we go a little deeper, we see the oneness. Dont we say that "beauty is only skin deep." Scratch less than one millimeter beneath the surface and we all have the same color blood. So, if we see the difference, we are different; we are separate. But if we see the Spirit, we are the same. I am you, you are me; we are not different. We have all the differences and individual distinctions, but we are so much more. These definitions are what you use in order to function in this world. The challenge given to each and every one of us is to remember that oneness behind the outer differences.

God gave each of us a different costume, different makeup, a different role, in order to play our part in the world. But behind all these differences we are all one in Spirit. When we forget that and identify ourselves with the superficial differences, we lose sight of the spiritual oneness. So, religion asks us to get back to that original state. The very meaning of the word "religion" is to "bind back;" to get back to your original oneness.

When we argue about what is the right path and whose religion is best, there is something terribly wrong with our approach. Then, we are looking at the superficial side of religion and forgetting to go deep into its foundation. If we did go deep, we would find that all the religions ultimately talk about the same God, the same Truth; but somehow we ignore that common base and continue to fight over the superficial aspects.

It is time for us to recognize that there is one truth and many approaches. As long as you are a spiritual seeker, follow your spiritual path with your goal in mind. Dont worry about other peoples paths. Whatever path you choose according to your temperament and taste, stay with that consistently while respecting all other paths. Though God can be approached through any form or name, if you keep changing from one idea of God to another, you wont progress at all. You cant travel on ten roads at the same time, even if theyre all going to Rome.

So, let us resolve not to fight in the name of religion. When the understanding comes that essentially we are one appearing as many, then all the other problemsphysical and materialwill be solved. Until then, they will never be solved because the basic cause for all the world problems is the lack of understanding of this spiritual unity. Wherever you go say, "We look different, but we are all one in Spirit. Hello, brother; hello sister." No religion is superior and no religion is inferior. We are all doing Gods work. We should learn to live together and work toward one goal: to share and care, love and give.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    Namaste.

One source attributes it to Gandhi.

Another source attributes it to Sri Swami Satchidananda:
    http://www.lotus.org/docs/paths_are_many.htm

So, in other words, there is nothing in shruti/smRiti/purANa/itihAsa? Just a couple of post-modern Hindu thinkers?
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

Thread Information