Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truth is One; Paths are Many

Re: Truth is One; Paths are Many

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    So, in other words, there is nothing in shruti/smRiti/purANa/itihAsa? Just a couple of post-modern Hindu thinkers?
    You asked where the quote came from, and I gave the source. That's all that needs be said.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Namaste,

Many times we read something - a story or a quote - and it reflects our current thinking. So, whether it is right or wrong, or it is per the Hindu shashras or not, we accept it and start repeating it as a fact. It behooves us to bring to the forum only the things that are in line with the Hindu theology and Hindu way of thinking. Things outside of that create unnecessary friction and turmoil. I am sure there are many other websites/forums which are Universalistic/New Age in nature and accept everyone's thinking as valid, since they are not scripture based. All good intentioned HDF members, with their love/devotion/heart rooted in Hinduism may meditate on that and spare the room any conflagration; unless of course, the only thing that makes our day is verbal sparring through our posts.

Pranam.

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    You asked where the quote came from, and I gave the source. That's all that needs be said.
    you should read Being Different by Rajiv Malhotra. your touchy-feely salad-bar idea of religion is not only idiotic, it is highly dangerous.

Malhotra's upcoming "U-Turn" book will beautifully unravel the treacherous vermin who claimed to be Hindu and Buddhist and then only turned around to denigrate Hinduism/Buddhism/India.
    Last edited by satay; 11 June 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Admin Note

Just a reminder that you are on a Hindu Forum. Please keep it focused on Hinduism or else you are wasting everyone's time.

Thanks,
    satay

Smile Re: Truth is One; Paths are Many

एकम् सत् विप्राः बहुधा वदन्ति
    Ekam Sat Viprāha Bahudhā Vadanti
    "Truth is One, though the Sages know it by many names.
    — Rig Veda (Book I, Hymn CLXIV, Verse 46)

No one who does not know the Vedas understands this great all-experiencing atman, understanding of whom is the way to liberation (Taittriya Aranyaka 3.12.9.17)

There you go. It is clear from shruti that understanding the Vedas alone leads to liberation. Not the Koran, or the Bible, or any of the book that belong to Abrahamic nut-cults.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Quote Originally Posted by Jogesh View Post
    Rig Veda (Book I, Hymn CLXIV, Verse 46)
    Ekam Sat means Brahman,as seen in the Chandogya Upanishad. This verse thus simply says that Brahman is given various name by the Vipras. Note that the word vipra can mean only someone from the Vedic tradition, so it is idiotic to argue that Allah or Yahveh are alternatives to the Vedic names of God.
    namastE astu bhagavan vishveshvarAya mahAdevAya tryaMbakAya|
    tripurAntakAya trikAgnikAlAya kAlAgnirudrAya nIlakaNThAya mRtyuJNjayAya sarveshvarAya sadAshivAya shrIman mAhAdevAya ||

Om shrImAtrE namah

sarvam shrI umA-mahEshwara parabrahmArpaNamastu

A Shaivite library
    http://www.scribd.com/HinduismLibrary

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by Jogesh View Post
    — Rig Veda (Book I, Hymn CLXIV, Verse 46)
    This is exactly the reason why one needs the interpretation of a swami/guru and not that of a Sanskrit scholar to learn about our religion. The word for word translation fails to convey the essence of the shlokas, and people make up their own interpretation and run with it. That does not do anyone any good.

As has been aptly pointed out, 'many names' refers to names within the confines of Hinduism. Let us all remember that, while arguing about alien names from other cultures, unless of course, the intent is to 'look' more educated/enlightened than the rest or to incite a riot in the forum.

Pranam.

More specifically, it refers to names from the Vedas. But the point is otherwise well taken - please do not misinterpret these mantras as somehow indicating the validity of Jehova, Allah, or other non-Vedic deities.
    Philosoraptor

"Wise men speak because they have something to say. Fools speak because they have to say something." - Plato

What do hindus in general view the existence of Gods and Deities outside their own culture? I follow a Few African Religions and I personally believe that these same energies manifested differently to different parts of the world, and the people in those regions had their own interpretations for these energies.. So I believe a Lot of Gods fit "archetypes" having many facets, some can share 'identitys'.

Although I do agree the Abrahamic God is an exception in this case, I also believe negative entity's can be mistakenly worshiped taking advantage of our perceptual limitations and claim to be "God" or "Higher Power" etc

Thread Information