Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi everyone! I have some questions.

Hi everyone! I have some questions.

This is my third attempt posting a thread. For some reason it's not letting me.

I'm not sure if I have posted here before in this section. It's been awhile since I've been here.

Question 1: What are the names of the Hindu scriptures and do all Hindus use them all? And where can the scriptures be found online?

Question 2: Are women treated fairly equally in Hinduism?

Question 3: Is there some sort of class for non-Hindus to take in order to learn about and possibly convert to Hinduism?

Re: Hi everyone! I have some questions.

Vannakkam Bethany: Welcome to HDF. I'm sure lots of people can help with these questions. You will get a variety of answers.

Aum Namasivaya

Hey Bethany as you are new your posts are checked by a moderator before they come through - this is just to reduce spam and to increase quality. This is for only the first 10 posts.

Welcome!

Among the Hindu scriptures the most famous would be

The Bhagavad Gita, Upanishads, The Vedas & the Mahābhārata

No, all hindus do not use ALL the texts. (:

As far as the actual religion is concerned, women are placed on a very high pedestal.

'"The professor is equivalent of ten teachers, the father is equal to hundred professors, the mother exceeds a thousand fathers."

Spiritually - a woman is seen as very high, as far as my knowledge goes. Theyre are places in India where women are subject to being demeaned however generally they are respected and as far as hinduism goes yes they are treated equally.

Regarding conversion. As far as I know, everyone is technically under the umbrella of 'Hinduism' regardless of your religion, its more a way of life than a religion. You are free to follow 'hinduism' at any point and you are thus a practicing hindu - conversion is a little counter-productive to peace and harmful to the spiritual progress of the soul.

Vannakkam Icy:

My take on conversion is a bit different. Depends on what you were before. If you have heavy-duty Abrahamic programming its hard. Things like idol worship, temples, incense, can go against all that earlier programming, and you get confusion, or even one part of the brain rebelling. But if you've had 'soft' programming, or none at all, its easier. And yes, there is such a thing as a full conversion, or adoption, right to the point of changing your name legally. Of course so much depends on the individual, and what their real interests are, whether its a strong 'calling' or a mild interest, or just a 'cool' phase.

Even people born in SD, but only later start exploring it at a greater depth have a sort of 'conversion' back home.

Aum Namasivaya

I agree, especially about the abrahamic pre-conceptions about things affecting you. Hell, I'm a native hindu and it affected me just the basic things that are wired into society, concepts of heaven and hell, so and so forth.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Let me offer the following on question 1 you ask:
    What are the names of the Hindu scriptures
    You are asking about our śāstra-s. They are well organized, and there is an ocean of knowledge for one to consider. Well how is it organized? This post will assist you:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ighlight=ocean

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

I also agree about Abrahamic programming, particularly Christianity. I feel so intellectually and spiritually in harmony with Hinduism, as compared to the fables of Christianity, yet all that familial "You're going to HELL if you do X or Y" really sticks with you.

8. Re: Hi everyone! I have some questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethany View Post
    This is my third attempt posting a thread. For some reason it's not letting me.
    I'm not sure if I have posted here before in this section. It's been awhile since I've been here.
    Warm Welcome Bethany

HDF will moderate all the posts of new comers to HDF till 10 posts.

Question 1: What are the names of the Hindu scriptures and do all Hindus use them all? And where can the scriptures be found online?
    There are countless DHarma Granthams but most important are Vedas, Shastras, Upnishads, Puranas, Ramayana and Mahabharata.

Not everyone is capable to use all of them, it is up to the learner which to read, however all scriptures teachs same DHarMa. Bhagvad Geeta is the most popular Hindu DHarMa grantham.

Question 2: Are women treated fairly equally in Hinduism?
    Strange question
    Only Hinduism supports kanya pujan, and other female festivals, worship female goddess, mother is on the first place, there is no place for those who disrespect women.

Question 3: Is there some sort of class for non-Hindus to take in order to learn about and possibly convert to Hinduism?
    Everyone was a Hindu befor becoming non-Hindu, your forefathers were Hindu, there is no stop in the original faith that is DHarMa.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    Warm Welcome Bethany

Everyone was a Hindu befor becoming non-Hindu, your forefathers were Hindu, there is no stop in the original faith that is DHarMa.
    This part connects to the right chord. Yes you are right. The bits and pieces of the millions years old history point towards that also.

Other way of thinking is that "no one can be outside TRUTH"
    Love and best wishes:hug:

Thanks Eastern Mind for the welcome. I read all the responses to my questions and I am more confused than I was before.

Everyone else: I am glad that y'all are answering my questions but the terms that are being thrown out there with no clarification whatsoever isn't helping my understanding.

Thread Information