Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saivism and Pets

Saivism and Pets

I am not aware of any particular or generic prohibition against pets in Saivism. There may be examples of certain animals as being considered "dirty" or less. There may be examples of some living animals as less desirable than others, for example a pet which would likely be problematic to a human quarters where a form of meditation practice could be disturbed, or allowing a pet free access to the inner sanctum of a temple, and other examples -- but I do not find broad discrimination against pets in Saivism as I do find for example in Islam against dogs, where there are examples of Muslim taxi drivers refusing a passenger with a dog because the dog is condemned as dirty in Islam.

In my family, we have a loving and so very intelligent pet dog. When I look into my little dog's eyes, I know she has a soul. When I interact, play, or share love I know that this little pet's soul is full of being and is on a journey to her next life form or beyond to enlightenment.

Some scientists say my dog does not have a soul - perhaps they look inside of her with a microscope and they do not see her soul. Or they look into the sky with a telescope and they say, "I don't see any soul"....

But to me, I know that the eye of that scientist is not perfect. It can only see some things and only so far. And the eyes of the person who makes the microscope is imperfect, the hands not steady enough no matter what instrument is used - the resulting microscope is therefore also imperfect, there are many unknown or unperceived defects and imperfections inherited from the maker of the instrument whose eyes, ears, touch, smell, sense of time and perception are all imperfect, does not perceive, is limited in dimension and time.

And so, while there is great functional benefit to many inventions, and I love and welcome the genius of so many inventions, I also understand as a Hindu that all of these things are limited in ability and design, defective in it's very clockwork, limited within dimension, and every eye, ear or hand using it is also limited, imperfect, open to great error no matter how perfect and correct the math of 1 plus 1 equals 2 may seem. And what seems true today suddenly is not true if you are standing on Jupiter.

I have no mechanical instrument to prove that my dog has a soul. I just know it. A soul to soul Bluetooth connection if you will knows it.

Is anyone aware of a prohibition in Saivism to a pet dog? Yes, there are rules around access to the dog - I would not have my dog eat from the same plate as mine, or to run in circles around and over and into a murthi of religion, and so forth. But I also know that in Hindism, there are even celebrations for some, such as in Nepal where the dog is given a garland.

My dog has a soul. And I know most agree with me. Once a great Rabbi said that a dog does not have a soul - and my goodness! You should have heard the outrage of callers to this talk radio Rabbi from those listeners who love and admire this great and wise Rabbi. It was the first and only time I actually could detect his questioning in his own mind, his clear exposure to being, well, rattled ... And his obvious happiness to move onto some other subject.

It was not me who challenged him, for I am not of the stature or wisdom to try and be a spokesperson for some side of this argument, nor did I try. But my goodness, the outrage from callers! It is simply natural to know that the animals of this world, so many whom are our friends, have a soul. I love the beautiful cows of India --- they are beautiful!

They have a soul. Do you agree?

Re: Saivism and Pets

Of course.

Everything alive is part of The One Soul, or The Self.
    Even a tiny ant or a fly.

Maya

Hi ShivaFan

As far as I know, i've never come across the prohibition of any pets at all, not only dogs, in Saivism. Even Lord Vairavar ( Bhairava) has a dog as his mount or vehicle. Thus, I dont think there's any prohibition at all in having a pet dog.

And I definitely agree that not only all animals have souls, but even plants, bacteria and other microorganisms have a soul, as long as they're alive.

I would think it ironic that any animals would be shunned in Shaivism. Lord Shiva is Pashupati, "Lord of all animals", at least according to the article.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

5. Re: Saivism and Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
    -------------------

And I definitely agree that not only all animals have souls, but even plants, bacteria and other microorganisms have a soul, as long as they're alive.
    All animals and trees have soul but Not all plants have soul, majority are work of nature. Bacteria etc is work of ॐ, even chicken pox is not a soul type alive virus but a reason of Sheetla Mata.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by TouchedbytheLord View Post
    I would think it ironic that any animals would be shunned in Shaivism. Lord Shiva is Pashupati, "Lord of all animals", at least according to the article.
    Thank you ! Yes Lord Shiva is the Lord of the Animals !
    You are EXACTLY right.

Today I think of Pashupati Shiva. He is The Lord of Animals.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste ShivaFan.

Well I'm glad to read all that! I lovely post thank you for posting.

You know, I'll tell you a secret! I swear that they used to know my thoughts!

I could call Suki to come and to sit with just the eyes and a little bit of movement She would, they were great! They could both tell if ever I was upset and would come to help.

Had some ferrets too which were adorable, Bugsy; Bonnie; Billy and Polo! Soul and then some, these little fellows have soul character and ego, but above all else they were extremely playful!

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Namast,

Western thinking has long held that animals are inferior and/or soul-less - witness Descartes of the famous cogito ergo sum, who used to kick his dog to "hear the machine squeak" - largely because the cultural model places humanity at the pinnacle of creation, but without stressing a responsibility or obligation to the rest of earth's creatures. And yes, there is the sad concept of "uncleanliness" found for certain animals, in many places.

ShivaFan, thank you for this post, and also for mentioning the lovely festival of Nepal (Kukur Puja). Yes, I agree that animals have souls. In fact, I'm more suspicious of the ensoulled status of humans who insist that they don't. And I think part of the reason that most of our Devas have animal vāhanas or companions is to keep us from arrogance at our supposedly "superior" rank. Even the parrot that bears Kāma Deva, touches God more closely than I do, hmm?

Personally, I've grown up with animals and currently live with two cats who humble me daily. One of them is aloof and prickly on the outside, yet if I'm sick or in pain, he sits with me (or sleeps on me) for hours. The other is a big puffball with the sweetest, gentlest spirit I've ever met. Nothing annoys her; even when suddenly awakened, she'll blink confusedly a few times, then curl up in your arms and purr as if saying "Oh, you're here! NOW I'm happy." I know few humans with such generosity.

Besides, having pets is a good protection for your home. Usually a person that your pet doesn't like, turns out to be pure evil.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste All,

Now that I've got to thinking of this little guy, I miss him dearly; might I introduce you to Bugsy ...

A very smart, highly affectionate Ferret with a passion for carrier bags, and a constant need for friendly contact;
    this little Ferret would come and ask for cuddles, and come charging ready to play, at the slightest sound of a
    rustled carrier bag!

Don't be mistaken by his small size, on one occasion he scared off a Staffordshire Bull Terrier; much to the
    dismay of his accompanying human.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Hello !

Oh my god, don't put something so cute to my eyes, i'm gonna die of cuteness
    He must have been a so wonderful companion ! And a lucky little guy !
    I'm sorry you lost him, but we don't have to be sad: he is free, somewhere, in another form ^^ Maybe you'll cross his path again in your life !

Aum
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Thread Information