Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Devon Ke Dev Mahadev

Re: Devon Ke Dev Mahadev

I wasn’t aware the word mythology was derogatory, looks like it is from reading the above. It is likely I didn’t explore the meaning of the term, implied or otherwise. Is there a more acceptable word I should be using?

I have this practice of putting all the past reported occurrences in one of the 2 general boxes: history or mythology. Eg., someone taking birth from a virgin mother is mythology (but not history) in my book. Thus what I meant to say was, I didn’t believe that the puranas to be historical events.

Devotion to our avatars and divine figures has nothing to do with they being historical or not. That’s my view. Debate on rule of emperor ashoka comes as something of historical interest. Whereas similar debate on rule of Rama should not be entertained by all and sundry, since it involves faith and devotion. The two pasts must be dealt with on separate platforms and by using different models; ideally neither the intellectuals nor the logical thinkers have any place in debating about the latter, they should simply keep out of it. Hope my clarification helps. Welcome back Ganesh Prasad, do stay and fight (for it is your right), and don’t give up and leave. Namaste.

Namaste,
    Welcome back Ganesh Prasad, do stay and fight ........
    I am sure there are laws against inciting fights leading to riots.

Pranam.

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by charitra View Post
    Welcome back Ganesh Prasad, do stay and fight (for it is your right), and don’t give up and leave. Namaste.
    Thanks for the welcome back. Can i make one thing clear, there was not anything to give up, my absence was forced upon me for personal reasons,nothing to do with anyone here on HDF, as for fighting for my right, i do not have any axe to grind with anyone, so relax Believer i am not about to cause any riots.

I didn’t believe that the puranas to be historical events.
    that is your prerogative, remove that and you will be removing a lot of History of Bharat varsa, weather true or not, mind set of a lot of our bygone era is shaped by the puranas.

Devotion to our avatars and divine figures has nothing to do with they being historical or not. That’s my view. Debate on rule of emperor ashoka comes as something of historical interest. Whereas similar debate on rule of Rama should not be entertained by all and sundry, since it involves faith and devotion.
    any given historical even is tinged by some degree of faith to go with it. Both Ram and Krishna requires a lot of faith what to speak of them i have great difficulty visualizing my great great parents because i had not seen them. But they all leave trail for us to follow. Ramayan and Mahabharat they are both described as Ithihas (History) as against Puranas which are of antiquated event that describes different yugas, no wonder we find them far fetched.
    Great personalities like Sankaracharya did not call them myth, frankly i do not have to doubt the historical even that has been described in our Ithihas. contemporary history can be as subjective as any other event, both Ram and Krishna have trails that is followed even today, what makes Ashoka more Historical then Krishna, just because it is more ancient!

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Hey, This tread was about talking about an awesome tv serie, why every tread ends up in a fight ? Dudes, there is nobody right or wrong, neither western or born hindus, this is not a debate and there is no war here, why are you thinking about it anyway ? Oo Aum
    ~Aum Namah Shivaya~

Pranam

Quote Originally Posted by McKitty View Post
    and there is no war here, why are you thinking about it anyway ? Oo Aum
    And what gave you an idea that there is a war going on here.

people only think about certain things when certain ideas are put forward, just as what you are doing.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I appreciate the thought but no thanks. As I said before, this particular version of Siva just doesn't appeal to me, no matter how you cut it. Any God portrayed with human qualities, for me, is a distortion of how I perceive Siva. (Siva is God for me... I'm a Saivite.)
    Ditto !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Pranam

to each their own i guess, for some who find the unmanifest easy to contemplate, fine, but the personality no lesser then Arjun after seeing the Universal form of Brahmand, said thus;

Arjuna said: O Krishna, seeing this gentle human form of Yours, I have now become composed and I am normal again. (11.51)

having said this i am also not a great fan of bollywood who portray hindu gods by their whim for commercial gain do not do justice to the real stories of the Puranas.

Jai Shree Krishna

The vedas and puranas are inseparable. One cannot accept one while rejecting the other. If you want to reject the Itihasas and Puranas, you must reject the Vedas as well, since the Vedas give their support to the authority of the Itihasas and Puranas.

rcah samani chandamsi puranam yajusa saha
    ucchistaj-jajnire sarve divi deva divi-sritah

"The Rg, Sama, Yajur and Atharva became manifest from the Lord, along with the Puranas and all the Devas residing in the heavens." (Atharva Veda 11.7.24)

sa brhatim disam anu vyacalat tam itihasas ca puranam ca gathas ca itihasasya ca sa vai puranasya ca gathanam ca narasamsinam ca priyam dhama bhavati ya evam veda

"He approached the brhati meter, and thus the Itihasas, Puranas, Gathas and Narasamsis became favorable to him. One who knows this verily becomes the beloved abode of the Itihasas, Puranas, Gathas and Narasamsis." (Atharva Veda 15.6.10–12)

evam ime sarva veda nirmitah sa-kalpah sa-rahasyah sa-brahmanah sopanisatkah setihasah sanvakhyatah sa-puranan
    "In this way, all the Vedas were manifested along with the Kalpas, Rahasyas, Brahmanas, Upanisads, Itihasas, Anvakhyatas and the Puranas." (Gopatha Brahmana, purva 2.10)

nama va rg-vedo yajur-vedah sama-veda atharvanas caturtha itihasa-puranah pancamo vedanam vedah
    "Indeed, Rg, Yajur, Sama and Atharva are the names of the four Vedas. The Itihasas and Puranas are the fifth Veda." (Kauthumiya Chandogya Upanisad 7.1.4)

asya mahato bhutasya nihsvasitam etad yad rg-vedo yajur-vedah sama
    vedo’tharvangirasa itihasah puranam ityadina

"O Maitreya, the Rg, Yajur, Sama and Atharva Vedas as well as the Itihasas and the Puranas all manifest from the breathing of the Lord." (Madhyandina-sruti, Brhad-aranyaka Upanisad 2.4.10)

bharata-vyapadesena hyamnayarthah pradarsitah
    vedah pratisthah sarve sarve purane natra samsayah

"On the pretext of writing the Mahabharata, Vyasa explained the meaning of the Vedas. Certainly all the topics of the Vedas have been established in the Puranas." (Visnu Purana)

Furthermore, it is explained in the Mahabharata (Adi Parva 1.267) and Manu Samhita
    itihasa puranabhyam vedam samupabrmhayet
    " One must complement one’s study of the Vedas with the Itihasas and the Puranas."

In the Prabhasa-khanda of the Skanda Purana (5.3.121-124) it is said –
    veda-van niscalam manye puranartham dvijottamah
    vedah pratisthitah sarve purane natra samsayah

bibhety-alpa-srutad vedo mam ayam calayisyati
    itihasa-puranais tu niscalo’yam krtah purah

yan na drstam hi vedesu tad drstam smrtisu dvijah
    ubhayor yan na drstam hi tat puranah pragiyate
    yo veda caturo vedan sangopanisado dvijah
    puranam naiva janati na ca sa syad vicaksana

" O best of the brahmanas, the meaning of the Puranas is unchanging just like that of the Vedas. The Vedas are all sheltered within the Puranas without a doubt. The Veda has a fear that unqualified people will read her and then distort her meaning. Thus, the significance of the Veda was fixed in the Puranas and Itihasas. That which is not found in the Vedas is found in the Smrti. That which is not found in the Smrti is to be found in the Puranas. Those who know even the Vedas and Upanisads are not learned if they do not know the Puranas."
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 20 May 2012 at 08:57 AM.

I saw some of this show with my father, on NDTV Imagine or something I beleive thats the channel its aired on in the UK.
    I found it heavily confusing, and although entertaining it doesn't do much justice to any aspect of anything....in my humble opinion....

10. Re: Devon Ke Dev Mahadev

Quote Originally Posted by Ganeshprasad View Post
    Pranam

Can i make one thing clear, there was not anything to give up, my absence was forced upon me for personal reasons,nothing to do with anyone here on HDF, as for fighting for my right, i do not have any axe to grind with anyone, so relax Believer i am not about to cause any riots.
    I am ready for fight, already fighting those who are targeting Vedas and other Dharma Grantham for heinous aDHarMi activities, same like all other aDHarMis do.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Thread Information