Thread: Recommendations for edition of Vishnu Purana?

Recommendations for edition of Vishnu Purana?

The only one I have seen is by H.H. Wilson. It was written in the 1800s, but I'm now leery of scriptures translated by westerners from the 1800s. I cannot find any on www.advaitaashrama.com (Ramakrishna Math) or at Zen Publications www.zenpublications.com Does anyone have a recommendation for edition and source? I'm going to get the 4 books of the Srimad Bhagavatam (Swami Tapasyananda) from Ramakrishna Math. I don't know how they do it, but even with shipping from India, they are exceedingly reasonably priced.

Edit: Found something...

http://www.vedicbooks.net/vishnu-puran-p-14878.html This one is abridged.
    http://www.vedicbooks.net/vishnu-puran-p-10202.html No idea what this one is like.
    http://www.vedicbooks.net/vishnu-pur...n-p-15449.html

I'm also thinking of a Shiva Purana, considering that I have Harihara leanings.
    Last edited by Jainarayan; 18 May 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add'l info
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Re: Recommendations for edition of Vishnu Purana?

I can't give any recommendations for an English version, I only have one from the Gita Press that is in Sanskrit and Hindi. But if you look at books published by mlbd (motilal banarsidass), I am sure you can find some English translations.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I can't give any recommendations for an English version, I only have one from the Gita Press that is in Sanskrit and Hindi. But if you look at books published by mlbd, I am sure you can find some English translations.
    Mlbd you say... I will look into. Thanks.

The Shaiva Purana, which is part of the eighteen major puranas, is not the Shiva Purana. Several writers from Wilson to Hazra have proved that the major Shaiva Purana is actually the Vayu Purana. The Shiva Purana is a minor or upa-purana and has been commonly mistaken for the Vayu.

I believe the Vayu has been translated into english. Can provide more details, if necessary.
    http://lokayata.info
    http://shivsomashekhar.wordpress.com/category/history/

Last time I checked, Motilal had not yet published an English translation of the Vishnu Purana.

However, there is a modern publication of the Vishnu Purana at Parimal Publications' website - http://parimalpublication.com/Bookdesc.aspx?id=76

This is a revised edition of the original translation by H.H. Wilson. Although I generally dislike reading foreigner translations, this one was ok. The main problem I had with it was the frequent typos in the translation (possibly they may have been in the original, I'm not sure). However, I also liked this translation because it has the original Sanskrit shlokas in devanagari along with the translated verses.

Namaste.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    This is a revised edition of the original translation by H.H. Wilson. Although I generally dislike reading foreigner translations, this one was ok. The main problem I had with it was the frequent typos in the translation (possibly they may have been in the original, I'm not sure). However, I also liked this translation because it has the original Sanskrit shlokas in devanagari along with the translated verses.
    I'm glad you approve of the translation, because this was the only one I was able to find. I received it today. It does indeed have the original Sanskrit shlokas in devanagari and the translated verses.

This is a re-issuing of the original, typos and all. I found text underlined and what I thought were some notes, and I thought "Hey! I ordered a new copy, not a used one!" Well, that all apparently is in the original print, and the original was scanned and re-printed. The print quality is poor, but I've seen other titles on-line that make the same "warnings", that they are copies of copies sent to print.

Namste TBTL,

I have been reading Srimad Bhagavatham by Kamala Subramaniam and I like it. It is published by Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan which is a reputed organization. The book does not have the original Sanskrit slokas though.

http://www.amazon.com/Srimad-Bhagava.../dp/817276376X

If you are not far from NYC you can probably visit the Bhavan's book store and look through it.

Namaste Seeker.

Outstanding tip, thank you.

I'm waiting for Srimad Bhagavatam: The Wisdom of God translated by Swami Prabhavananda. It's not the word for word book, but a summation and narrative. But as people have pointed out, it's good to see different versions and get a wide perspective. And one can never have too many books in the collection.

double post
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 28 May 2012 at 06:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by philosoraptor View Post
    Last time I checked, Motilal had not yet published an English translation of the Vishnu Purana.
    Yes, that's right, but the Parimal publication of the Vishnu Purana is also available on Motilal's website.

Thread Information