Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sunrise ...

Re: Sunrise ...

This morning I happened to wake up just as the sun was rising. We are in the country for the weekend so I had a gorgeous view of it behind the trees.

I thought to myself that I never see enough sunrises, always sunsets, but not enough sun rises...

then I went back to sleep and got up two hours later to have coffee. Still it´s better than nothing

Maya

हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    ... I'm at 54 degrees N, and the summer to winter variation is about 6 hours, so consistency all year is an issue ...

You can understand why certain mammals have chosen the option of hibernation; It must be quit tough at times!
    I should imagine all the more reason to keep regulated. I am interested, do you sleep for longer in the winter time?

My sister lives up in Scotland and its quite tough up there to!

In the Winter I am up long before sun rise; I should be interested to know if this would still be the case were it that I had no clocks?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Namaste,

Thoreau's words on morning....

The Vedas say, 'All intelligences awake with the morning.' "Being awake is not just being physically up and around but being mentally vigorous to celebrate another day of living " observed Thoreau, "The millions are awake enough for physical labor; but only one in a million is awake enough for effective intellectual exertion, only one in a hundred million to the poetic or divine life. To be awake is to be alive. I have never yet met a man who was quite awake. How could I have looked him in the face?"

Pranam.
    Last edited by Believer; 21 May 2012 at 05:27 AM.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste yajvan,

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    fyi only...

When is it sunrise?
    Jyotishi Varahamihira muni says when the upper limb of the sun is in view on the horizon, this is sunrise. Some others consider the central portion of the sun on the horizon. So whats the deal ? Who cares? The difference is roughly 1 min 15 sec. That change influences the position of the lagna and higher level varga birth charts ( 1/30th division, 1/60th division) and changes the positions of the graha's in these varga-s ( divisional charts).

praām

1. who ~owns~ each part of the day ? http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...hlight=sunrise

Thank you for your link and considered posting on this subject, I enjoy reading them! I am going to try the lord of the hour's, I know how
    much other aspects effect me; it will be fun to try.

I like to think when the tip of the Sun visibly touches the horizon to be sunrise; but of course this depends upon our altitude and temperature also.
    The definition of time its self is of course very illusive; with days length depending upon many variables; thus the need for the notion of
    ΔT;
    our clocks and watches can most certainly be deceiving, as to the true nature of time.

I was listening to a lecture about the Lord of the day, only yesterday; what a fine coincidence, and thank you for answering another
    question that I had been pondering.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    Last edited by Mana; 20 May 2012 at 12:09 PM.
    8i8

Vannakkam Mana: Here we adjust okay ... barely. Some light sensitive people have a more difficult time. I have strong blinds on the windows. Right around summer solstice you can see light on the horizon to the north all night long. Winter is more depressing, and there are lots of psychological studies on SAD (an acronym for it .. but I can't remember what it is ... sunlight deficiency or deprivation of some sort) So its like nature is working to give you annual highs and lows, like manic depression.

It gets more complex even further north beyond the Arctic Circle.

Summer evenings here are beautiful though, especially for recreation. Golfers sure like it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Believer View Post
    ... Thoreau's words on morning....

The Vedas say ...
    हरिः ओम्

Namaste believer.

A fascinating quote; thank you for introducing me to Mr Thoreau, seems to me to be a very interesting fellow.

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Namaste, Mana.
    Merci pour les conseils.

I think I'll try again after my exams are over, my mother always tells me to greet the sun in the morning, as well as face the sun in the morning with water in that specific type of pot (i dont recall which one) offering it to the sun while uttering a certain mantra.

हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Mana: Here we adjust okay ...
    I'm glad to hear that you enjoy life up there, it must be aided greatly buy the beautiful landscapes and wildlife?
    It sounds to be hard work non the less, good on you for bringing the Vedas to such Northern climes!!

Ah "manic Depression, that old chestnut! I was told I'd caught that once, but its amazing what you can cure
    with a little
    prāṇāyāma! It can dispel the deepest of curses!

SAD that's seasonally adjusted depression, I believe. I was thinking about this throughout this last winter;
    you know I swear I can feel the presence of the Moola
    Nakshatras in the sky, when the sun is near by, its
    found at the tip of the scorpions tail. I think that it is probably more related to this than anything else; but
    that is pure hypothesise on my part at this time.

The Black whole at the centre of our Galaxy can be found here; there is an interesting reference to it in
    Maharishi Parasara's Brihat Parasara Hora Sastra; which a shall not try to quote, as I am not sure to
    remember it correctly, it pertains to the emotional state of one who is only free from black thoughts when
    this star, thus also the black whole, is present in the sky. I am assuming that there is an inverse emotional
    effect on the opposite horizon.

Food for thought anyhow. Personally, I would certainly recommend seeing a good vedic astrologer before
    your average psychiatrist or psychotherapist. 1000 times over! I mean why waste time with speculation
    when one can get straight to the point or the crux of the matter at hand?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Vannakkam: Hey that's my nakshatra. Can I ask a favor, Mana ... could you darken your font? I have old eyes, and find it hard to read. Maybe its from all those years of winter's artificial light.

Besides snow, light is perhaps the other main adjustment for immigrants here from the tropics. The elderly have a tougher time of it. Us Canucks are pretty used to it.

Aum Namasivaya

हरिः ओम्

Namaste EM,

Of course I can, is this any better?
    It is a fascinating Nakshastra! Auspicious for men but more difficult for women, is it your Lagna or your Moon's sign,
    that is if you don't mind my asking?

pranāma

mana

ॐ नमः शिवाय
    Aum Namaḥ Śivāya
    8i8

Thread Information