View Poll Results: After going through this thread, can you make a commitment to study Sanskrit?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, I am too old or too young and too busy and I watch cricket and zee TV for at least 3 hours a day

4 12.90%
  • Yes, I can set aside at least 30 minutes to one hour a day to study the Sanskrit Language

27 87.10%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Re: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Namaska Sahasranmaji,

Wonderful Thread! Thank you!

May I propose a couple of Android Apps that have been of great help to me? I have a long commute and these are of great help in making use of all that time on crowded buses and trains, and can be used on any Android device. They are in Google Play, but they are not free.

WAGmob's Learn Sanskrit (Speak and Write) - Great for beginners to use in order to learn the alphabet and numbers, along with some vocabulary.

Krishna Varma's Sanskrit Primer - Great intro that also has good resources for those who are a bit more advanced and could use a pocket reference.

Pranams
    ~~~~~
    What has Learning profited a man, if it has not led him to worship the good feet of Him who is pure knowledge itself?
    They alone dispel the mind's distress, who take refuge at the feet of the incomparable one.
    ~~Tirukural 2, 7

Anbe Sivamayam, Satyame Parasivam

Smile Re: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    They are in Google Play, but they are not free.

Krishna Varma's Sanskrit Primer - Great intro that also has good resources for those who are a bit more advanced and could use a pocket reference.

Pranams
    Yes , they are not free . But we can get it free .

If you are a android user , there is a patching software " Lucky Patcher " by ChelpuS . This app is extremely beneficial to crack any android soft .

If you open Sanskrit Primer software , it will search for License and pop up with error " License not found " . If you want to use that without paying , you can download Lucky Patcher [ Search in Google to download ]. We have to just open that app and click on " Remove license verification " . Done , it's so simple . Now you are using it free . Enjoy .

Note : Your phone should be rooted.
    Last edited by hinduism♥krishna; 07 March 2014 at 03:56 AM.
    Hari On!

Re: Resources for Learning Sanskrit, the language of the past... and the future!

Quote Originally Posted by Aanandinii View Post
    Namaska Sahasranmaji,

Wonderful Thread! Thank you!

May I propose a couple of Android Apps that have been of great help to me? I have a long commute and these are of great help in making use of all that time on crowded buses and trains, and can be used on any Android device. They are in Google Play, but they are not free.

WAGmob's Learn Sanskrit (Speak and Write) - Great for beginners to use in order to learn the alphabet and numbers, along with some vocabulary.

Pranams
    I am glad you are finding these resources helpful.

Namaste,

Lately I have been getting great enjoyment out of delving into the Sanskrit language. I am studying a book called Introduction to Sanskrit, part 1, by Thomas Egenes, which I think is perfect for someone with very little grasp on the language starting out. I am only a few lessons in, but I feel I have learned so much. I'll spend several days on each of the lessons, and sometimes just on one or two exercises, until I have a good grasp on it, then I have that to build on when moving to the next thing, and things are slowly falling into place.

Thank you to everyone who has shared their resources, especially those on pronunciation, which is the thing most lacking when learning from a book. They have been a valuable addition to my study.

Pranam.
    Om Namah Shivaya

Dear Friends,

This can be a useful link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6C...G5nZQcb_PKTW8-

Last edited by silence_speaks; 21 August 2014 at 08:53 AM.
    Come up, O Lions, and shake off the delusion that you are a sheep

Original poster, the link to the Sanskrit Movie link has changed to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-fP-Tp2FwQ

Chitrapurmath Sanskrit Lessons: Sanskrit Step by Step Part 1 is shot with missing parts of the text, so it can't be used.

Arsha Vidya Gurukula Sanskrit Lectures: There a massive number of mistakes just in the course introduction at http://www.arshavidyacenter.org/new/...kritcourse.pdf - I'm writing the web master to let them know about the mistakes. If you go here - http://www.arshavidyacenter.org/new/.../alphabet.html - you'll find that the mistakes are not there, but it is still missing some of the vowel write-outs, like for the dental vowels ḷ and ḹ.
    Last edited by deafAncient; 08 March 2015 at 06:08 PM.

Namaste to anyone who can help...

This is frustrating! Why is it that all of the books, online courses, and reference materials I have seen so far seem to avoid discussing ḷ, ḹ, ṛ, and ṝ???

I have no idea how these letters are pronounced. Most don't even discuss ḹ - I even have EasyUnicode keyboard layout installed as my default keyboard and know how to type that letter!

Dhanyavād

Also, I'm just now learning that there is a difference between Vedic, Classical, and Modern Sanskrit... Wow! I couldn't even master Old nor Medieval English in my own language!

Thread Information